SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wayne_mo

Arizona Trip Report (part 3)

wayne_mo
18 years ago

The rains were strong the last couple days of the trip. Our last day and night in the SE corner of AZ was characterized by heavy rains. We got rained out of a day hike in the mountains and had to settle for a Sonoran Whipsnake sighting on the flats. It was a great looking snake but alas it was too fast for pictures.

The evening produced a Desert Box Turtle drinking from the road in a heavy t-storm and this Mojave Rattlesnake:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Our last day in Arizona was spent in the Tucson area since we had to fly out the next morning. Rachel and I sat out a massive t-storm eating lunch under a canopy while downtown Tucson got dumped with 3.37 inches of rain in less than 2 hours. Once the rain let up we did a brief afternoon road cruise and hike (hike cut way short by a flooded wash 2/10th of a mile up the trail). That night our attempts at road cruising turned into an attempt to keep our rent a car from becoming a boat and we abandoned the road cruise for a short walk on high ground.

Our farewell gift was this goregous 4 foot Sonoran Gopher Snake (a lifer)! We were stopped watching a Harris Antelope Squirrel on the road when this snake appeared onto the road right behind it! As you can see it was on the move and didn't pose for pictures, but I love the transition in color from front to back..

{{!gwi}}

Off road I got some closer pictures as it moved on:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Eventually the snake tired of being pursued for photos and it HISSSED very loudly and turned to face me..

I managed to catch a picture of it while its mouth was still open in a defensive hiss.

What a great going away present!

{{!gwi}}

Here is the habitat it was found in, complete with a freshly flooded wash.

{{!gwi}}

It was hard to leave this rain drenched desert with the monsoon rains starting to hit bigtime and getting the snakes moving.

I have no doubt we'll be back..

Comment

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor