SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keithb_gw

Arizona trip (part 3)

KeithB
18 years ago

8/5- Road crusining in the vening between Portal and Douglas produced 6 live snakes--4 Western Diamondbacks and 2 Mojave Rattlesnakes. I had my dad along for his first live diamondback and I found my 1st adult mojave (At this point I was also scoring this as a lifelister though it turns out I had seen a juvenile on the 2nd that I was counting as a diamondback pending photo review). Also saw 2 DOR Diamondbacks.

8/6- On an afternoon hike into the Chiricahuas I was led to my lifelist Blacktail by my brother. They had left the snake sleeping from the morning, but I approached too close with my cheap camera and sent it buzzing under a rock in a manner of seconds...oops. Still got a good look and Wayne ahs a nice picture of it on his report. Also saw a really pretty Horned Lizard (see wayne's report again) that 11-year old Logan spotted after a couple people had walked by it.

8/7- Road cruising produced a Diamondback, a couple of Mojaves and an encounter with the Border Patrol. As I was checking out a Mojave on the road (DOR unfortunately) I had made a turn around, stopped and looked and turned around again. All this erratic driving captured the attention of the Border Patrol guy parked clandestinely in the ditch so he pulled me over and asked questions. I think he may have encoutered a herper or two before because he had that look in his eyes ("oh one of these snake guys"). Anyway he became convinced taht I wasn't out there to pick up a border crossing illegal so he sent me on my way. I also saw a live checkered garter and DOR Glossy Snake.

Comment (1)

Sponsored