SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keithb_gw

Arizona Trip (part 2)

KeithB
18 years ago

8/2- The monsoon rains brought the first good night of snake movement. Around 7:30 PM I found my 1st snake of the trip--a large and very pugnacious Western Diamondback that rattled incessantly when I approached it and pulled itself into an S coil and kept rattling even as I stood several feet away. This was one of the most aggressive rattlesnakes I had ever come across. Around 8:30 I found a nother adult Diamondback on the paved road between Portal, AZ and Rodeo, NM. This one never rattled and just cruised slowly away. My third and final snake of the evening was a juvenile. I wasn't sure if it was a diamondback or mojave, but recorded it as a diamondback until I had the photo developed. A review of the photo shows it was my lifelist Mojave.

8/3- I took a morning hike around Portal (no major wildlife) and then took my girlfriend's son en route to the Grand Canyon.

8/4- Saw the majestic Grand Canyon and lo and behold a rare lifelist bird flew overhead as we were enjoying spectacular vies from the South Rim. It turns out a giant California Condor (introduced as part of a recovery program) was also checking out the Canyon from above. A nice find to be sure.

South of Flagstaff we saw a herd of elk from the Interstate. I traveled back towards SE Arizona and negotiated some heavy thunderstorms in the central Arizona mountains before calling it a night amidts flooded streets in Globe Arizona.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County