SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
walkin_yesindeed

DIY with 2 jobs and young children: how?

walkin_yesindeed
16 years ago

Please excuse if this is a dumb question. But honestly, I don't know how you guys do it! I keep reading here about your amazing projects: furniture stripped and beautifully refinished, gorgeous paint colors selected and actually applied to walls (it's that second part that's my problem), carpeting yanked up and concrete floors stained... and if I'm not mistaken, many of you actually work (SAHMs, I include what you do as work -- I mean working whether it's inside or outside the house). You people are giving me a complex, frankly. (:

How do you find the time? How do you keep the children from ingesting the scraped-off popcorn ceilings or doing secret chemistry experiments with the tung oil while you're sanding the patio furniture? Do you ever sleep? How do you roll with the inevitable expansion of any DIY project, so that it takes at least twice as much time as you'd anticipated?

Specifically, I have a bedroom to paint, a freebie set of patio furniture that needs a coat of Rustoleum, some bookshelves and nightstands to paint bright glossy red for my kids' rooms, that kind of thing. None of it is all that much. But both DH and I are professors, both working on books and teaching full loads, and DSs are 3 and 6, and frankly it is all we can do to keep the house somewhat clean and not feed the children a steady diet of mac and cheese. Just the idea of getting DH to help me clean out the garage so I could spray-paint in there is daunting, let alone actually doing the work!

What are we missing? TIA, all!

Comments (16)