SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
colleenoz

Really good white cake recipe

colleenoz
12 years ago

I had to make a requested plain cake for a friend the other day. White cakes are not really popular here so I decided to look in my mother's old Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, which would have to be older than I am :-) for a recipe. I have to admit I've tried Pixistix' Hot Milk Cake and wasn't overwhelmed. The recipe I chose was

White Cake Supreme

3/4 cup shortening (note: I used butter as we don't have shortening here)

1 1/3 cups sugar (I used caster/superfine sugar)

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour (I used all-purpose as we don't have cake flour)

3 teaspoons baking powder (I was a bit dubious about this so used 2 1/4 teaspoons)

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup skim milk (I used 2%)

5 egg whites

1/3 cup sugar (as above)

As I used butter I creamed it with the 1 1/3 cups sugar until as light as possible. Then added the vanilla. Next, the flour sifted with the salt and baking powder, added alternately with the milk. In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites foamy, then gradually beat in the 1/3 cup sugar until you have soft peaks. Gently fold into the batter mixture.

The instructions say to bake in two paper-lined 9 x 1 1/2" round pans at 375 for about 30 minutes, but as you will have guessed I didn't do that :-) In fact I had tripled the mixture and baked in two deep paper-lined 10" square pans for rather longer, keeping an eye on them.

The cake was extremely moist and had a nice texture, not unlike a vanilla version of my chocolate cake. DH and I have been nibbling the leftovers (I only used 1 1/2 of the finished cakes) since Saturday and it's still good. I will definitely make this one again.

Comments (10)