SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thrift_shop_romantic

Decorating in movie sets

So the other night I was watching "Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle" which was set largely in the 20s...

...and I found myself spending more time staring at the various turn-of-the-1900s wallpapers on the walls than the action in the film!

There was just so much color, texture and ideas (and great lamps...) I was totally distracted.

I was wondering if there were any of you who had had this experience, and what the film was. Surely I can't be alone in this, can I? :)

--Jenn

Comments (31)

• bungalow_house
    16 years ago

You are not alone, though no specific titles come to mind.

I will add that I am always a little astounded when I see these things in a newer movie that is set before the 1950s, as opposed to a movie that was actually produced before then, because I always think of things before then as being in black and white (which is ridiculous, of course, but that's how I see them in my mind).

• mclarke
    16 years ago

I have read that the movie "Something's Gotta Give" inspired a frenzy of home-decorating makeovers.

I read this:

"Designers started getting requests to re-create the house's interior or to plan an entire remodel around it. Clients carried in the video to show designers and contractors what they wanted. The president of Williams-Sonoma Home, David DeMattei, created a custom-upholstered headboard collection after seeing the bedrooms. A New England decorator blogged about how to achieve the look and got more hits on that entry than she'd ever had. A rug manufacturer in the Midwest produced a version of the living room's carpet and has sold 65 in the past two years. One overzealous fan rented a helicopter and flew over Long Island until he located the actual house -- then offered to buy it, Meyers told the Los Angeles Times. The house, whose owners were not identified, was not for sale."

To read the whole article, go here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Article about movie sets

• Related Discussions

Movie Set Decoration site

Q

Comments (2)
    Chijim, Very interesting sites. I have to go back and look again. Thanks for sharing the sites. I know someone who years ago worked at a studio in set design. He has some very interesting stories.
    ...See More

More Halloween Decorations and table setting

Q

Comments (13)
    Wow, have you ended up in the right place!! Beware, being part of this forum forces you to buy things you never knew you needed until you started playing over here!!LOL Seriously, this is the most wonderful, supportive group of people and we are always glad to have new people find our playplace, aka Enablers R Us!! Your Halloween decor is fab!! I'm lovin the chandy, the spiders, the carved pumpkins, oh, I just like it all! You really go all out for your decorations and we love seeing the results. Welcome, glad you found us. TFS, Candy
    ...See More

date night movie decor

Q

Comments (1)
    I did a basic quick Google search using terms Date Night movie sets. And it turned up more than I could deal with. There are multiple video clips and trailers available for viewing at YouTube and other places. So I suggest you run your own search and check out the best of those results. I also checked one of my favorite blogs, HOOKED ON HOUSES, which every Monday critiques a house for either a movie or a TV show. Apparently the movie did not create a blip on her radar. I'll put the link to this blog below. Here is a link that might be useful: Hooked On Houses
    ...See More

How to find info on movie set decor?

Q

Comments (8)
    I think if you search for "set decorator movie Blended", you can get the set decorator/designer name. Then maybe search on that person's name.
    ...See More
  • no_green_thumb
    16 years ago

I had read that about "Something's Gotta Give" as well. I loved that set - and the movie, just a cute "chick flick". I wonder, though, had the movie been a real dog, would people have flocked to copy the decorating scheme. I mean, maybe had the movie been awful, the set would not have been "viewed" in the same way.

• thrift_shop_romantic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bungalow House-- I'm totally with you-- I've been startled in seeing how much color was used in, say, 40s decorating, because I'm used to seeing Bogart and Bette Davis in black and white rooms.

My mind was interpreting the colors to be powder blues and maybe golds, instead of vivid shades.

MClarke-- amazing that so much real-world decorating ended up being spawned from a movie. I haven't seen that movie yet, and now you've gotten me curious!

--Jenn

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

I do this too. Most recently while watching (again) Chariots of Fire. Such cool stuff in that movie. I notice even the accessories and have to pause movies a lot to take it all in.

• fivefootzero
    16 years ago

One of my favorite movies is Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House with Carey Grant. I crack up every time I see the part where Mrs. Blandings explains the exact shade of green she wants on the walls...gives the decorator a spool of thread...it's hilarious.

• ttodd
    16 years ago

Guilty! It has been impossible for me to get the back issue of Architecture Digest w/ Somethings Gotta Give. I tape portions of TV shows just so that I can pause & study them for awhile too.

• littledog
    16 years ago

Practical Magic; I figured the story would be juvenile and predictable, but rented the movie anyway because I remembered how interesting the glimpses of the house looked in the commercials. I wasn't wrong; the movie was disappointing, the house and garden were lovely.

And, while it wasn't a movie, I have to admit I was definately influenced by the old black & white sitcom "The Addams Family". Having a Dad who still played with model trains, and a neighbor who cut the flowers off her roses, it seemed perfectly normal to me...(now I know she was probably deadheading to get them to rebloom, but back then, she was just the perfect subsitute Grandma.)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• skypathway
    16 years ago

I remember when this and other forums were full of posting about that movie "Something's Gotta Give". I also loved the set for Cameron Diaz's home in "The Holiday." Both films were directed by Nancy Meyers, with production design by Jon Hutman. It had that same creamy white dressy but casual feel. Home Alone is another movie people like to reference.

We recently rented "Shall We Dance" and I spent as much time watching the decor as I did the dancing. Fivefootzero, thanks for reminding me of Mr. Blandings, I'm going to add that to my movie queue.

I'm not so surprised only because I've trolled through all the old design books in our huge central library. I'm reminded of all those washed out greyed "historical colonial" colors which are all wrong - colonial colors were very vivid. (BTW, I happen to like a lot of those greyed colors so I'm not knocking them, just their use to recreate someone's errant concept of colonial decor. Same with Greek, Roman, Egyptian etc. we see them as mainly white or pale yet in their time again strong colors and bare statues we admire now were painted. When you look back at many decorating eras it's surprising the colors and patterns that were popular.

But you're right, it's especially fun to watch a really old movie actually filmed in it's time - lots of interesting details to discover. Thanks for posting this.

sky

• deborahnj
    16 years ago

Lots of threads have been started on the conversations side about set decorating. For me, even as a kid I checked out the sets in tv shows and movies even as I watched the show. One set in particular was the inspiration for me purchasing my first home. The show, "Father Knows Best". The first time we went inside to view, that was the first thing that crossed my mind.

On another note, I am a General Hospital fanatic and tivo it to watch every day. Well I am constantly checking out the sets and several times I have seen pillows and accessories from PB, C&B, Z Gallerie and the latest items has to be from Brocade.

Whenever I'm trying to describe a color the scene from Blandings builds his dream house pops into my mind.

• twingirlsmom
    16 years ago

Father of the Bride...I loved that house! So cozy looking. I guess the exterior is an actual house but the interior was all fabricated. Maybe I need to hire a set designer to do my house then???

• teacats
    16 years ago

Yes -- indeed -- most of the movies I watch -- I carefully check out the homes, castles etc. Even in horror movies -- the setting is literally another character in the cast!

Do check out the book that details the work of designer William Haines -- the classic Hollywood decorator!

Look at the impact of "white sets" and mirrored furniture in movies from the 30s!

And yes! I believe the famous "paint scene" from Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House should be "required" viewing for every designer! LOL!

Look at homes in:

Emma
    The Philadelphia Story
    The Thin Man series
    Fred Astaire movies -- like "Funny Face"
    The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
    Father of the Bride
    Practical Magic
    Cold Comfort Farm
    Down With Love
    The James Bond series
    The Avengers TV series
    The Munsters TV series and movies
    The Addams Family TV series and movies
    Hammer Films classic horror movies
    The Mummy and The Mummy Returns
    Lord of the Rings
    Harry Potter film series

Here is a link that might be useful: Practical Magic's House Photos

• polly929
    16 years ago

I read somewhere that Nancy Meyer began actually resenting the house in "Something's Gotta Give" because it generated more buzz than the movie.
    I always look at movies and TV shows for decorating ideas- Desperate Houswives has a couple of really cute interior s of houses -- at least before the tornado.

• mildredpots
    16 years ago

We saw "Alvin and the Chipmunks" with the kids over the holidays, and in my opinion the only redeeming feature of the movie was the house and front garden the man lived in. In the middle of the movie I heard someone say "nice fridge". I was doubly surprised after the movie to learn the comment came from my husband! Didn't think he ever noticed stuff like that.

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

Since we are currently doing a kitchen remodel, I check out kitchens in every movie, commercial and TV show I watch. If someone is standing in front of a great looking faucet or bar stool, I yell, "MOVE!" :-)

Jodi-

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

The Incredibles :)

• lightlystarched
    16 years ago

Oh, I just watched "In Her Shoes" with Cameron Diaz & Toni Collette. I was entranced with Shirley MacLaine's character's Florida condo. Absolutely stunning 50's modern furniture in a pale sunny palatte of yellow and aqua. I was drooling over the blonde wood armchair and white metal kitchen table.

• tonilynne
    16 years ago

This isn't about a movie, but I must admit that I absolutely love reading my daughter the "Arthur" books because I love Arthur's house. I also love Arthur's neighborhood, and his sister D.W. has to be modeled after my own daughter. :)

• bettycbowen
    16 years ago

The movie that immediately came to mind is "Ruthless People" with Danny DeVito and Bette Midler - it was up to its neck in Memphis-Milano - her clothes, their funiture, the dishes, everything. I was kind of fascinated by that design house at the time, and it ended there! But for me it really made the movie.

I've always wondered if anybody has a kitchen done like The Simpsons. Poor Marge.

• malhgold
    16 years ago

The kitchen in the TV show "Brothers and Sisters" is to die for. Actually, the whole house is gorgeous. There used to be a great website that showed a 360 degree view of the kitchen but unfortunately I can't find it. Oh....the show is great also!!!

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Oh yeah! A good movie needs to have eye candy and period pieces are all the better. I drive my son nuts saying things like "look at that lamp!" when we're watching movies together. Then he gets even with me by putting on "how many people can we stab and blow up?" movies... boy movies.

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

*Something's Gotta Give

*parts of house in "Freaky Friday" (remake with Jamie Lee Curtis)

*Unfaithful (Diane Lane/Richard Gere house, inside & out) Think TNT is airing it this week, too.

*What Lies Beneath (H. Ford, M. Pfeiffer, just watched that again during the night Sat/Sun, so might be re-run again this week on TNT.)

*Father of the Bride remake (some rooms kind of fussy for me tho)

I know there's more, just can't think of them off the top of my head ;)

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

ah Malgold, I was going to mention Brothers and Sisters; the whole house needs to be featured in a magazine........ I love that show.

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

this link shows a bit of the kitchen of brothers and sisters, the accessories are those that real people have

Here is a link that might be useful: glimpse of kitchen

• graywings123
    16 years ago

I am so impressionable. I just went to Netflix and ordered "Mr. Blanding . . ." Won't my husband be surprised to see it at the top of his queue.

The TV series I enjoyed watching for the decorating was Madmen, which was based in the 1950's. The checkered wallpaper was wonderful!

• amylville
    16 years ago

LOVE the house in "what lies beneath." If you go to the kitchen forum you will see lots of "my 'somethings got to give' inspired kitchen" posts.
    Love Meg Ryans house in "You've got Mail" as well

• amck2
    16 years ago

I was wondering if someone was going to mention Meg Ryan's brownstone in "You've Got Mail!"

I keep that movie and "Somethings Gotta Give" in my nightstand and watch them nearly every time DH is traveling for work and I can't sleep. SGG, I mostly watch for the house, but I actually love YGM for the movie, too.

My guilty pleasure is revealed.....

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

Hands down, Mame! The house AND the costuming were out of this world. IMO, the older movies had the best set designs, although Somethings's Gotta Give and Bewitched(movie)are my two favorite 'new' movies sets.

• twingirlsmom
    16 years ago

I know this one isn't a movie set (because it's actually her house) but I LOVE Ina Garten's house on Barefoot Contessa (cooking show on Food Network). I've seen so many reruns and lose interest in the food she's making but can't get enough of her house.

I also loved the homes in Unfaithful and What Lies Beneath.

• mildredpots
    16 years ago

Tonilyne, I used to watch Arthur on tv for the same reason. I loved the (cartoon) house, and how the kids could ride their bikes to the library or the soda shop. My kids have outgrown the show, but I thought they had the perfect family home.

Mr Blandings is a classic! Love when she goes into detail about the exact shade of each paint color she wants, and then the contracter tells the painter "yellow, blue" etc.