SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juliedrew

Please help with 'vintage' title 24 kitchen lighting plan!

Julie Drew
16 years ago

I am trying to come up with a lighting plan for my soon-to-be-remodeled kitchen while adhering to Title 24. My house is a 1930 Mediterranean and I would love it if the lighting looks like it belongs.

I was hoping to use 1 surface mount (over sink) and 2 pendants (over island) from Rejuvenation, each 100 watts. So to comply with title 24 in this plan, I would need 300W of high efficacy lighting. I've been figuring I need some flourescent cans and undercab lighting (17.5 feet) I drew a plan that placed some fixtures.

1. My current plan (see link below) does not have enough high efficacy lighting (6x18=108 watts from cans + ?? watts from undercab lights). What would you suggest to make up the difference? More cans? A flourescent surface mount fixture (perhaps in the area in front of the fridge?)

2. Am I going about this the wrong way? Should I choose flourescent Rejuvenation fixtures instead to relax constraints on other lighting?

3. Is there a good alternative to recessed cans that provides effective task lighting and will have a more vintage appearance?

4. Suggestions for undercab lighting?

Some facts that may be relevant:

- the ceilings are 8'4" and the cabinets will go to the ceiling (with crown moulding.)

- the walls will be a soft green

- the back wall with windows is on the southeast side (there is an awning outside over the door and window)

Thanks for any help!

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/thedinos/lightingplan.jpg

Comments (11)