SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennm_gw

Title 24 travails and kitchens

17 years ago

We're in the midst of our construction, and electrical rough-in will start in the next couple of weeks. (We're renovating about half of our spanish style home in southern california.)

I'm looking for advice for strategies for dealing with TItle 24. The problem is that I want to have the option of some amount of dimmable mood lighting, and dimming recessed CF is prohibitively expensive.

So I'm wondering what solutions others of you have come up with?

My best plan so far is to use quite a number of recessed CF, enough for all the task lighting and ordinary kitchen lighting that I need. I think by going with 26w fixtures I can get enough wattage to then be permitted to do a pendent over the island, a pendent over the breakfast table, and then four additional recessed halogens spread out in the kitchen.

My plan is not to use the recessed halogens and the recessed CFs at the same time -- the latter will be for normal life, and the former will be for mood lighting when necessary.

Does this make sense? Are there other solutions clever gardenweb users have come up with?

Also, I know that the pantry light doesn't count under Title 24 -- my question is, CAN it count? That is, if I put a flourescent in the pantry (which I don't mind doing), can I get the inspector to count that wattage towards the kitchen total?

Also, based on what I've read here, I'm leaning toward 5" recessed. Haven't run that one by my electrical contractor yet, but it seems a good compromise between the spot-light quality of 4" and the (IMHO) bulky 6". Thoughts or reactions from those with experience?

It's frustrating. If I were allowed dimmable lights with which I could use those pricey CF bulbs, I really would use them. But of course, the statute doesn't allow me that. . .

Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)