SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

CA people (or other lighting gurus): Help with Title 24 lights!

artemis78
14 years ago

For any Californians out there, I'd love to hear how you handled the Title 24 lighting requirements---as we put together our lighting plan, I'm looking for some strategies and ideas on where to place fluorescent or GU24 lights, where to stick with incandescents, etc.

For those not in California but who have thoughts on lighting, our kitchen requirements are that about half of the total wattage in the kitchen is "high-efficacy"---which roughly translates to dedicated CFL, fluorescent, or HID fixtures. High- and low-efficacy lighting need to be on separate switches. We will be using dimmer switches across the boards, which gets us a free 50 watts that isn't counted in the calculation.

Our rough lighting plan is:

- two ceiling fixtures (150 watts incandescent, 42W with CFL) centered over the room (think foci of an oval)---we would like to have these on the same switch, operated at each end of the room

- pendants for task lighting (one each over the sink and breakfast table, and more as needed)(100 watts incandescent, 25W with CFL)

- we don't plan to use undercabinet lighting

I'm thinking this means we should pick one set of fixtures, whether it's the two larger ceiling-mount fixtures or the pendants, to be high-efficacy and then adjust the number or placement of the other set of fixtures from there. Alternatively, we can just make everything high-efficacy and be done with it, but I'm not sure how this will work out functionally.

We currently have one large old-school fluorescent light in the middle of the kitchen and one small pendant with a CFL bulb in it in our breakfast room. The kitchen gets plenty of light, but the breakfast room does not get enough. The two rooms will be connected after the remodel, though, so they will hopefully share light better. I expect we will need more task lighting, but am just not sure where.

How would you split these up---if only one set of fixtures can be equipped to use incandescent bulbs, which is the best strategically? Are there any rules of thumb for whether fluorescent lighting is better used as general versus task lighting? We want to avoid piling on extra lighting just to count the watts or doing the bait-and-switch plan, though I know both are popular workarounds. (We have no problem with the Title 24 requirements conceptually---just want to choose an effective lighting plan!) We are also using fixtures that can be ordered either way, so it is feasible to have two matching fixtures and have one be GU24 and one be a standard screw socket.

Would love to know how others handled this, or if you have creative strategies---thanks!

Here's our plan:

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!