SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sniffdog

X-10 Light Controls

sniffdog
17 years ago

I am in the process of building a new house and a few weeks away from ordering lights. I have the light plan done but need some expert advice on using using X10 light controls to turn on/off outdoor lights.

In my last house - and in others I have been in - the switches for the outdoor floodlights were typically located near an exit door closest to the light. Problem is that in a large multi-level house with multiple doors and lights, you would have to go to 2 or 3 different doors turn on all of the lights which is a pain. I used X10 in my last house to address this problem so that I could go to 1 place and hit 1 button to turn all lights on/off. Generally worked great except for occasional interference from home computer - but the low cost outweighed the occasional glitch. I had no choice in that house since the builder did not offer me the opportunity to customize the lighting.

I was planning to use the same approach in my new house because I have a similar situation where I would like to control all outdoor flood lights from 3 or 4 different places in the house. This house has a very large footprint and multiple levels. I have designed 4 outdoor floodlight zones so that I keep the maximum wattage of each zone below 1000W, which is the max that an X10 switch can handle. I thought about using 3 and 4 way switches but thought an X10 solution might be easier and give me more flexibility in adding controller later.

Is there a licensed electrician out there who can offer up a better solution? Do you think X10 for this type of application is OK? I do plan on using Lutron Garfik Eye contollers for some large indoor rooms that have 2 or 3 entryways but thought that the Lutron system might be overkill or outdoor lights where all I need is On/Off and no scene's.

Thanks

Bob

ps - this is my first post on GW so go easy on me. I have been a lurker for years and love this site.

Comments (22)