SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
californian_gw

Compact flourescent lights for 20 cents each

californian
17 years ago

Right now Southern California Edison is subsidizing the cost of 15 watt compact flourescent lights so that they cost anywhere from 20 cents to 50 cents each, depending where you buy them. Trouble is, they claim they put out the same amount of light as a 75 watt incandescent, but at 1100 lumens that would really be the same as a 70 watt incandescent. However they look to me to be the same as maybe a 60 watt incandescent. I don't think the idea will catch on unless they start subsidizing maybe 23 to 26 watt compact flourescents which would be they say equivalent to a 100 watt incandescent, but again I don't believe the figures because the flourescent always looks dimmer than the equivalent incandescent to me.

They were also subidizing 8 inch flourescent light fixtures with an electronic ballast for $4.99. In this case I can say the flourescent with the electronic ballast was noticible brighter and started better even when cold than the previous magnetic ballast light fixture I was using before. However the light fixture itself was kind of cheepo quality, so I took the bulb and ballast out of the new fixture and installed it in my old higher quality housing and am quite pleased with the results.

Comment (1)