SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

My fireplace mantle and artwork

Sueb20
14 years ago

Since I've been spending a lot of time home recently (not feeling well), I thought I'd post some pics of my fireplace area for your feedback. Like many people, I can look at other people's houses and see what works and doesn't work, but when it comes to my own house, it's harder.

Below are many pics of the fireplace wall. It's a narrow room so it's hard to get good pictures of a broader view. My questions are this:

I have had that candle holder thing on the mantle for years. Usually it's up there alone. Now it's got my little animal candles leftover from Christmas, and some heart shaped rocks and other little doodads. I just had the candle thing because it was simple and I didn't want to take away from the artwork... but I wonder what else you'd put on the mantle? It's not easy because it's only about 8" deep.

While I was taking pictures, I decided to rearrange the two paintings and see how they would look reversed. Which painting do you like better over the FP? The original one (shown in first pics) or the one I moved there? These two paintings have only these two spots to "live" in. I don't have any other walls that are large enough other than one wall in the family room that's already taken by a very big painting.

As you can see, there's a lot of stuff in this room. I like my stuff! So that may be another reason to keep the mantle more 'clean' but let me know what you think. I have various pieces of pottery that I could put up there, but whenever I do, it just looks kind of haphazard.

Here is the "original" fireplace.

Backing away to see a bit more of what's going on around it...

Here you can see our TV a little ways down the wall...

This wall is to the left of the FP -- there is a door between this wall and the FP. Excuse the mess on the table and the radiator. My daughter has been busy.

Now here is the FP with the other painting moved here.

Stepping back to show how the two paintings relate to each other. I feel like that left corner is too dark for the dark painting...

Now that I'm looking at the pics, I think the paintings should be moved back to their original spots. But what do you think I should have on my mantle? Any ideas? Or do you like it with the candle holder and nothing else?

Comments (22)