SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daynamarie_gw

Kenmore HE4 Washer/Dryer...holes, mold, and other nightmares...

daynamarie
17 years ago

Sears service wants us to believe that we've lost our minds and are completely incompetent when it comes to laundry I guess. I have had the $2400 He4 set for almost 2 years. 6 service calls, 4 major repairs, management and service ignoring my messages and refusing to return my calls, several screaming matches in the store (I made sure I showed up on 'Black Friday' with a trashbag full of ruined clothing to dump in front of their washer display). My 3 year old did a great job of entertaining the curious audience of customers with her screaming as well.

This piece of ^*!@ machine smells like a sewer (they don't tell you to leave the door open and clean it with bleach weekly when they sell it, or I wouldn't have bought it. They also don't tell you that when you buy their *master protection agreement*, you are agreeing to take a whole day off work everytime service comes to your house because they can show up anytime between 8am-5pm but no evening or Saturday calls. I've missed 8 days of work. BTW, I can't leave the door open because my set is in a laundry closet and the closet door will not close with the washer door ajar. My 3 year old would have a hayday with an exposed washer and dryer.

Additionally, the error codes won't go away (they've already replaced the control panel and have no idea why I'm still getting the codes). The machine has *locked up* twice, holding a wet load of laundry hostage for a week until service got there, leaving mold and mildew stained clothing. The worst part is the holes in the clothing. Ive seen numerous posts at this and other websites about this problem. Service will try to tell you that you must be doing something wrong...overloading, underloading, wrong detergent, zippers, whatever. I was pulling at least one garment out of every load with rips and tears in it. I have lost hundreds of dollars worth of clothing. After much fighting over the issue for the past 6 weeks, I have finally convinced Sears to replace my washer. I basically made a service appointment every day and told them to come to my house every day until they figured out the problem. I finally got several people at service to admit that they've heard of these problems before, and a service tech who admitted that there was nothing he could do to fix it but there's obvously a problem. I made him watch a load being wahshed, and you can actually see the clothing being sucked down between the drum and the rubber *boot*. A part of the clothing gets stuck there while the remainder of the garment gets whipped around the washer, thus leaving it in shreds. I have thrown out towels and sheets as well. So, they have agreed to exchange my washer for a GE Profile Top Loader washer and dryer pair, but they are refusing to give me credit for the $300 purchase price difference or for my HE4 dryer since they say there is nothing wrong with it. As far as I'm concerned at this point, if it carries the Kenmore name there's something wrong with it!

Please contact me at daynamarie@mail.com if you have experienced similar HE4 problems (or Whirlpool Duet). I really believe that these washers should be recalled due to major design flaws. There should be a class action suit so that we can be compensated for our time, stress, ruined clothing, and missed work! And please...somebody tell me something good about the GE Profiles. It's the only thing I don't see horrible reviews on. BTW, the HE4 is my 2nd set in 2 years from Sears. They replaced a Maytag Neptune set after 5 months when it completely died. And today, they informed me that they are 'allowing' me a $1100 credit, as if they are doing me some sort of favor by returning their defective product, but that there will be no warranty whatsoever on my new set since I'm returning a product that's under warranty. What the (*)_!*)@??? I'm sure that GE will guarantee their product for a year, but Sears insists that there will be no manuafacturer's warranty and that I *have to* buy their protaction plan. I refused, and I will be calling GE on Monday before I get my new set. They also *think* they are going to charge me for delivery. Moral to the story...NEVER EVER EVER buy from Sears!

Comments (8)