SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daviddal

Fluorescent 6' tube fixtures and insulation

daviddal
16 years ago

I have a warehouse that has offices over the lower storage area. The office space has been unused for many years but now we are using it. When we first bought the warehouse we install 6' fluorescent fixtures between the joists since we wanted the lights up out of the way. Now I need to insulate this area and these fixtures aren't IC-rated as far as I know. I don't want to drywall the ceiling and surface mount the fixtures because I'll have to deal with broken bulbs all the time. IC-rated recessed cans aren't an option either because I'd need way to many to light up this area.

I have an idea but I want to make sure it is feasible. I was thinking about removing the light fixtures and insulating the ceiling. Then installing some two by fours in between the joists and attaching a piece of drywall to the two by fours. The lights would then be surface mounted to the drywall and still be recessed between the joists. This would give me the same result as dry walling the entire ceiling and surface mounting the lights. Is this correct?

Comment

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022