SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oakrunfarm

Being ripped off on my lights - pls recommend good online source

oakrunfarm
16 years ago

Hello all,

We are toward the end of a new build, and I am having a problem with the lighting sub my builder has suggested.

I spent quite a long time in their showroom picking out lights for the entire house. My lighting budget is $8,500, and when I got the pricing for my selections, they were $12,000.

What bothered me most is that this is a "cost to build" project, and we are supposed to be getting (and were told we were) contractor pricing. The builder then installs the lighting, pays the lighting folks, and adds a 16% fee to that.

After doing some cursory price checking, it appears we are getting retail or very near retail prices, which would mean we are paying retail PLUS another 16% on top of that.

I would rather find another source for all of the lights.

Please recommend a good online or national chain for lights where I can order them. I can save at least $2,000 on them, but I don't want to order them unless I can find a reputable source. I would have preferred to buy locally (I'm in NC), but that does not seem to be working!

Brands I am considering are Troy, Acclaim, Capital, Currey, Kichler, Craftmade, etc.

Thank you SO much! :)

Comments (13)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH