SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mountaineergirl_gw

Is this cabinet install normal??

mountaineergirl
11 years ago

I need some advice on this issue. Our granite is coming on tues and I'm afraid the cabinet install is not right. The installer is saying that in order for our cabinets to be level on one side, that they need to be shimmed this much! But the corner where he started looks as if he put them higher than need be to start with. If this is how out of level my floor is, wouldn't I be able to tell this? The house is only 14 yrs old. Also, the side where he put them so much higher, they are now closer to the uppers. So he's an inch closer to uppers where he has shimmed an inch (or more!) that doesn't make sense to me.

Here is the corner he started with:

This is opposite corner:

And this is the end:

This is above the corner he started with:

And this is above the end where it's shimmed so high:

So you see that it's an inch closer to the uppers where it's shimmed high. So why would it need to be that high? Would uppers be that out of level? He had just installed them too.

So, what are some issues with putting granite on cabinets that have those shims? Is that enough support? I assume he's going to use some other kind of support and remove those? But what about toe kick? It won't be big enough to cover that gap. Will they ave to put baseboard down also? I'm freaking out over this!

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert