SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
josie724

It's all Trailrunners fault.....

josie724
15 years ago

Her gorgeous pics of her pizza had me craving homemade pizza. Although mine pale in comparison to the beautiful creations she made, they did taste great though.....

Had to make plain sauce and cheese pizza for the kids...

Made one with sausage and broccoli rabe for me and dh. I put the cheese on the bottom of the toppings and it made eating it much easier all the toppings stayed in place.

I have to confess that I did cheat a bit. I purchased the dough from a local bread bakery. After seeing Trailrunner's pizza I now have pizza stone and pizza peel envy. LOL

Comments (30)

• User
    15 years ago

Hey josie ! Those look wonderful and I love the innovative way you topped the 2nd one !! Get a stone...Amazon has them or Fantes.com. Get a wooden peel...my DS1 got me the metal one and I wish it was the wooden as you can rub flour into it. Very important to prevent sticking.

OK now. get on it !! I wanna see more pics. Also there is a thread on appliance on Miele ovens and imbedded in there are some pizza tips.Also check out The Fresh Loaf.com. LOTS of info on breads and pizzas.

You did great !! c

• josie724
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Trailrunner. I'll get that peel and pizza stone ASAP. There was a promo right before I purchased my Wolf, they were giving away a pizza stone with the purchase of a range. But ofcourse I was a day late and a dollar short...lol

I gotta ask you a ?. Do you think I would get better browning on my pizzas if I use the convection feature on my oven it would help, or would it dry out the crust too much?

• Related Discussions

It's all your fault Patty.

Q

Comments (9)
    Sorry about that, bamboo. Feeding the craze :-) And, this lady can't have a Dekopon. Dekopon is not available to the public. It is very, very tightly controlled right now, and only a small number of commercial growers in California are allowed to grow the Dekopon. If she has one, it's not a Dekopon. If she grafted it, she did so illegally. So, beware of that. The only possible way she could have a true Dekopon, would to have had this tree or budwood transported over from Japan before all the citrus restrictions were placed on imported citrus. Not even sure this variety has been around that long, even in Japan. And, we all know what happened here in Calif. with illegally procured budwood. UC Riverside is trying to procure Dekopon budwood themselves, from other sources, but have not been able to do so, yet. So, this also casts significant doubt about what variety this tree really is in my mind. Patty S.
    ...See More

It's All Your Fault GW

Q

Comments (42)
    Great thread, and Redroze, thank you for the dose of reality. I just reread your post to my husband. I am doing several things I have learned on here already, such as the single sink, and more drawers. Maybe even a range hood, only I really do not know where to put the microwave! I can't do many of the amazing things I see others posting. I appreciate the genius and beauty of the kitchens posted on here. And I need to remember to love the kitchen I do have while utilizing what affordable tips and tricks I can do. :-) This is an awesome site, and it is the many generous, awesome people who make it this way.
    ...See More

Glenda, It's All Your Fault!!!

Q

Comments (5)
    Are you trying to embarrass me? Of course there isn't. I finished them this morning the whole time asking myself why are you eating these you're not even hungry. Well, at least I don't have to think about them anymore. This is why I can't have any bad stuff in the house. I have no will power. p. s. You did make me laugh though.
    ...See More

It's all your fault!

Q

Comments (9)
    We will be making this again. It was an instant favourite! My son told me I should have made the cheese biscuits to go with it. I wish he had told me that before we sat down to eat. Next time..... I'll probably make a salad to go with it so the rest of the bunch of kale can be eaten raw. I have 1/2 the bunch left that I bought.
    ...See More
  • vicnsb
    15 years ago

josie...great work! Looks tasty, I can't wait till I'm done so I can cook!
    vic

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Looks wonderful Josie!!!! I just baked a couple of frozen pizzas for my children for dinner tonight...you (and Caroline) are making me feel guilty!!!

I'm willing to bet just about anything the pizzas that both of you make are far superior to my "Freschetta®" & "Glutino" pizzas (especially the "Glutino"!)

• User
    15 years ago

Um yeh Buehl..Glutino ?? Sounds like something that you take for ....I dunno...not pizza LOL !

Josie what do you have in the way of ovens...I don't remember. I use Intensive. It heats from the bottom. I preheat the stone for 1 hr. at 500. Also you have to brush the crust with a nice coat of EVOO. The guy on the appliance thread said he has had some luck with using the High Intensity Broil setting at 575 and use the 2nd rack from the top. I have had such good luck with the new way I did it this last time that I am thinking I don't want to try the broil. It is so hot...it has burned things in seconds for me in the past if I don't stand there. Anyway there is your 1st lesson LOL. Keep us posted with pics ! You too buehl and vic....when you get the kitchens done .

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Now I feel guilty. Hubby and I had frozen pizza for dinner last night.

Does it help that it was fancy schmancy? Does baking banana bread and making limoncello and preserved lemons the day before make up for it?

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Glutino is a brand of gluten-free foods. In this case, gluten-free pizza... It's better tasting than other brands I've tried, but the crust still tastes a lot like cardboard.

Here is a link that might be useful: GLUTINO - FROZEN MEALS

• slateberry
    15 years ago

Hello to buehl from another gluten-free kitchen. Products and choices are so much better than ten years ago, aren't they? I actually cried when my local store started carrying Amy's gluten-free pizza; now I can chill on Friday nights instead of making pizza crust from scratch for dd. Then I found out she loves just about anything baked pizza-style on a corn tortilla--go figure. It's different but worth a try. ---end hijack---

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

Josie - Yum! I'll have to try the sausage & broccoli rabe combination. I used to make my own pizza dough once a week. We do pizza less frequently now that we're eating gluten-free.

Buehl - Try the Bob's Flour Mill Very Good GF Bread Mix(I like it better than their pizza mix) It is very sticky and not pizza dough texture before it's baked, but trust me it bakes up nice. Shape the dough, pop it in the oven, pull it out, flip it over, top it, put it back til cheese is melty.

• josie724
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Trailrunner, I have a Wolf 36 AG range. I baked the pizza at 450, I think that was my first mistake. I'm still playing with the oven. The last time I baked them I baked at 500 and used a pizza baking pan with large holes on the bottom and they burned. I really think the pizza stone will make a difference. I usually brush the top of the pizza where the topping lay with EVOO, but not the outer crust. I thought it wouldn't brown, next time I'll brush the crust too.
    Oh....and I did have a look at FreshLoafs.com....talk about drooling....LOL

Thanks all for the compliments.

• User
    15 years ago

I didn't realize how many folks are on gluten free diets. Is it due to choice or a disease process? I am glad for you all that there is a better selection these days of foods for you.

I use chestnut flour and also Chickpea flour...both gluten free. There are a lot of web sites out there that specialize in gluten free diets. Also several Food Blogs. Use FoodBlogSearch.com and you will be able to search gluten free for 2000 blogs.

pb I would LOVE to have the limoncello and the preserved lemon recipes ! Please. And yes it ALL counts.

Josie you are welcome .I have not tried the perforated pan . I have seen pics. Some folks set the already cooked pizza on it to cool a second as it will prevent the crust form softening. I don't know about all the choices on the Wolf. I think, from all my readng, that the dough and the stone and the temp are the 3 crucial elements.

Keep us posted. And if anyone else wants to throw a pizza in the ring....please do ! We will use it also as an oven and stone review...so it is Kitchen oriented :)

• slateberry
    15 years ago

In our case, it's a severe wheat allergy, so no choice. My impression is that in the US in general, diagnosis and treatment of celiac is way up. I think the natural occurence in the population is around 1%, maybe a bit more, so that's a market segment (yeah, it's great to have a market segment dedicated to products that I need!). Celiacs, as you probably know, must avoid all gluten or they get severe intestinal damage. otoh I have a neighbor who chooses to avoid wheat because she's concerned it may contribute to inflammation. In her case, it seems that she still eats it sometimes; she's just trying to eat less. So, people and reasons are all over the map, imho.

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

Trailrunner - We are gluten-free because of disease and choice sortof. My 12yo is ADHD and the high protein, gluten-free diet has helped him immensely. The rest of us choose to eat gluten-free because I didn't want him to feel different in his own home. I've never tried chestnut flour, but we'll search some out. We use a combination of garbanzo & fava bean , amaranth, rice, corn, and soy flours, as well as arrowroot, tapioca, corn, and potato starch. My baking pantry looks a little ridiculous. I find that no 1 flour gives a good result and have through a steady amt of experimenting have come up with a little of this, little of that method to get taste and texture right on baked goods.

• User
    15 years ago

Hey lax. The chestnut flour is quite nice. I have not used it w/o putting other flour in with it though. There are a couple places that sell it. It runs about $5 a pound. There are a few sites with recipes for it too. As I had said above there are a couple really nice food blogs that do gluten free. Also I believe there are several folks on the cooking forum and I know that several people on The Fresh Loaf are experimenting with the gluten free baking. Good Luck ! c

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Unfortunately, I have Celiac Disease (diagnosed a little over 2 years ago). I generally don't force my family to eat gluten-free as I have yet to find a gluten-free pizza crust or bread that I like (or that my family would like!) I do, however, make all veggies, etc. gluten-free by not adding too much in the way of sauces. McCormick spices are gluten-free, but most sauces are not (I have to figure out the conversion of flour to cornstarch ratio for thickening!)

As to pizza crust, I now have another one to try, thanks LaxSuperMom for the suggestion...I think I actually have that mix in my pantry. I'll check when I get home.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

limoncello:
    http://patty.vox.com/library/post/homemade-limoncello-when-life-gives-you-lemons.html

preserved lemons:
    http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/001815how_to_make_preserved_lemons.php

I'm making a plain batch and one with star anise and cinnamon.

Mom and Dad's meyer lemon tree is in full fruit and they don't really care for lemons (they thought they were getting a navel orange tree) so I have all kinds of lemons to play with.

Oh yeah - I also made the whole wheat walnut bread recipe from King Arthur this weekend.

• User
    15 years ago

pb thank you ! I started reading the limoncello post ! WOW...it is 2 years long. I will be a while trying to figure out how to do this. Have you done it before ? Good success? Now am going to look at the preserved lemons. DS1 does them too so will compare and see . THANK YOU

• User
    15 years ago

Just some info for anyone without a stone who wants a crispier crust...Cook's Illustrated discovered a few years back in their test kitchens that using parchment paper on plain cookie sheets gave a remarkably crisper crust than pizza crisper pans or plain cookie sheets.

I actually make my pizzas on parchment, then slide the whole parchment paper and pizza right on to the 500 degree stone.

Helps with clean up too.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

You're welcome, trailrunner. This is my first time trying these recipes. Got them from a cooking community "elsehwere". The limoncello is drinkable after 2-3 months (depending on how long you do the first step).

I only made one batch and hope I don't regret it. Hoping the lemons keep so I can make more. Of course, if the Meyers are done I can just switch over to SIL's lemon tree (not Meyer but soo much better than store lemons).

Love to hear how your DS1 does the preserved lemons. Ideas for their use would be awesome.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Trailrunner has caused plenty of problems of this sort in my family as well. My mother is a closet Trailrunner stalker. She needs the kind of pan that was used for the jams and sauces, she needs to make scones, she needs to make pizza, blah blah...all of this would be fine if she lived nearby so we can share in the fun...but she's a three hour flight and by the time we get there, there is never anything left!

Trail...please start working on your bread pudding...and post pictures of it being shipped to alaska pretty please??? (Mom if you change that recipe I'll shoot you myself...just look at the pictures of it in boxs and take some inspiration from that!) heh heh

• User
    15 years ago

pb I will let you know how he does them .He and DIL are in Montreal with her family.

cleo I used to do that...my stone is a MESS> I think I am going to sand it and then go back to paper,,,thanks for the reminder.

igloo did you get the Maslin? Cause Lee Valley has it again in stock. I didn't know you wanted bread pudding...DS1 makes the most incredible...even all our NOLA family says it is better than any down there. You got a recipe coming as soon as he is back in town. :)Tell your Mom hey for me...I love having a "Mom" again. c

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

This pizza thing is contagious! I had to make them tonight & they turned out GREAT! By far the best that I've ever made.

Went with the soft version of the dough--added powdered milk and a couple T. more EVOO. Made the dough this morning; next time, I'll make it a day ahead. Put parchment paper on my wooden peel & dusted the paper with a little flour. Plopped the dough on the parchment, added toppings (Hawaiian because I had leftover ham...) and slid the parchment off the peel & onto the hot pizza stone. Baked at 475 for 9 minutes in my old Kenmore gas oven. They turned out beautiful and were a big hit!

I've had this roll of parchment paper laying around in my pantry for 5 years or more and never used it. I dug it out of there a couple of weeks ago & started using it & now I don't know how I ever cooked without it. It solves so many problems with easy cleanups as an extra bonus. Can see that I will be needing to lay in an industrial sized supply of the stuff!

• beachmusic
    15 years ago

Looks like this thread motivated a lot of people! I've had the bake stone that came with our Wolf DF range sitting in a box for nearly a year. After reading about Trailrunner's pizza party and various other pizza successes on GW, I figured what the heck, it was time to dig out that bake stone. Used the link to "A Pizza Primer" on the Fresh Loaf site. Made two pies that were very good (froze the remaining two dough balls for our next attempt) but would like to improve the crust next time (need it thinner and crisper)as well as getting the dough to the stone more easily.

Couple of questions for those who use their bake stone frequently. First, we had some trouble getting the dough off the peel and on to the hot stone. No surprise there, seems to be the tricky part! Used a lot of flour on the peel, but still had issues. What technique do you use to transfer the pie to the stone? Is pre-baking the crust quickly (a la Trailrunner) the way to go? Second, after baking and cooling the stone is blackened in spots (to be expected). I cleaned it as per the instructions (scraper, then damp cloth when completely cooled) but wonder - will the residue smoke on its next use? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Looking forward to more pizza and breads (soon!).

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

DS1 was home from law school over Christmas and got a hankering to make . . . pizza. So, I gave him a print-out of Trailrunner's recipe. He did a great job. (She is now an honorary aunt, although she doesn't know this.)

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Sprinkle cornmeal on the peel to prevent sticking--it makes a mess, but it works (and adds a little hint of flavor, too!).

• User
    15 years ago

I am so glad that you are all enjoying the pizza and the making of it...which is almost the best part !

Beachmusic: It is easier to do one of 2 things. Either put your raw dough on the parchment paper and then top the dough and then slide the whole thing onto the stone. Or dust your peel with semolina flour or cornmeal ( not reg. flour) and quickly place the raw dough onto the peel and transfer to the stone and prebake 2 min and then remove from oven and top and return for 6 min or so.

Your stone will not smoke provided there is no residue just the blackened spots. If you use parchment you will cut way down on the mess on your stone...from cheese and the oil. You aren't supposed to get fats on the stones but that is pretty much impossible the way we Americans make pizza LOL. We love our toppings. The paper really does not change the effect of the stoone so go ahead and use it.

Kitchen: what is my new nephew's name ??? Does he expect presents on his birthday and Christmas?? :) Glad it turned out well. I am working on new dough recipes all the time so will have to start a new thread sometime soon.
    Caroline

• lisadelrio
    15 years ago

Oh how I love a pizza thread! We have been making pizza almost every Sunday night for years. We are such pizza lovers that when our house is completely done, we're going to build a masonry wood fired oven in the back yard.

I make a batch of pizza dough about once a month. We freeze the extra dough balls. We build the pizzas on a wooden peel that is liberally sprinkled with cornmeal. They slide right onto the stone. We bake our pizzas at 500F in a convection oven for 6 minutes.

We have a metal peel for removing the pizza from the oven. That way, we can build one pizza while the other is baking.

I leave the stone in the oven most of the time. I scrap off the crumbs and cooked on bits of whatever, but otherwise I don't clean it with water.

• beachmusic
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tips! I use parchment paper often, but the box indicates that it's oven safe to 420 degrees. For regular baking that's perfect, but at 500 degrees I wondered if the parchment paper would melt on the stone, so I didn't chance it. Will try prebaking and the cornmeal methods to see which works best for us. Again, thank you!

• slateberry
    15 years ago

oh buehl, I only now saw your post. I use half the recommended amount of flour recommended for a sauce when I use cornstarch. So, for example, the pie filling that calls for 1/4 c flour: I use 1/8c, which is also 2T. Works for me but I am _not_ a perfectionist nor an authority in the kitchen (or in anything, lol!)

hth

• User
    15 years ago

lisa...do you have recipes to share ?? Please post pics of your next pizza cook fest. We lOVE pics ! Also you are SO lucky to be getting an outdoor oven...would love to have one. c