SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buy1soon

GIANT Shallots~pic

Terri_PacNW
15 years ago

I know I didn't give you something next to them to show you the size..but just think tennis ball!!!

These are the two largest I just picked.

I just cleaned one to slice up and add to my fried cabbage and potatoes..but what do I do with all that lovely GREEN bits?
{{gwi:1541426}}

Any recipes in mind? There are 6 more just like it well almost that size in the garden still!

Comments (4)

• trixietx
    15 years ago

Shallots are something I have never grown, but yours look
    beautiful.

I don't have any recipes, maybe others will!

• Marigene
    15 years ago

Terri, hope the ones I planted get that big! The green parts are no where near the size yours are, yet.

I mostly use them in vinaigrettes or dishes I don't want a real strong onion flavor.

This is the first year I have grown my own shallots so I wonder if you could use the green portion like you would the green onion?

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marigene, I sliced up some of the greens and sprinkled over my parm mashed yukons for dinner lastnight there was no real "flavor" to them..just a nice crunch and it looked purty! LOL

• mimsic
    15 years ago

I bought some at the farmers market that looked a lot like yours but were red. I put the whole thing (3 of them actually)on the grill and placed a bluefish fillet over them. The fish was wonderful and the onions were exceptional.

I have also used the green part just as I would use scallions.