SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lsr2002

Worms! Need help getting rid of them. LPink, Jasdip, anyone

lsr2002
12 years ago

We have a potted Meyer lemon tree that summers on our deck and winters in a greenhouse window in our breakfast room. We've babied this tree through three winters and get about 30 lemons a year from it.

This spring when we moved it out to the deck we added about three inches of purchased compost to the pot. It's in a large pot, about 16" in diameter and 20" tall. A couple of weeks ago I was loosening the top of the planting mix with a hand garden fork, before feeding the tree, and I uncovered what must be between 500-1000 red wigglers; the eggs and some worms must have come with the compost. There are baseball sized tangled clumps of them throughout the pot. I took some in a jar to a commercial greenhouse and they did not have a practical solution for getting rid of them. We can repot the tree and release the worms into our garden, but I know that even if we wash the roots off with a hose, we are unlikely to wash away all the worms and their eggs.

Does anyone have any ideas what might get rid of the survivors without being toxic to the lemons? I don't want to be a mass murderer and we will re-home all that we can into our vegetable garden but I can't stand the thought of bringing any into the house in the fall with the possibility of them leaving the pot and wiggling into my kitchen or even drying up and dying on the tile on the base of the window.

I emailed the the master gardeners at our university extension and the only reply I got was that, yes some of them would probably escape the pot in the house. Yuck! I don't want to have nightmares about worms.

I don't want to trash the tree and hope that isn't our only answer.

TIA.

Lee

Comments (26)