SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

led ucl 4 dummies ... well, dummy.

aliris19
12 years ago

I have read a lot on here about UCL. Trouble is, it's tough bootstrapping from nothing: I don't know enough to really follow all the fantastic information and advice.

This is as far as I've gotten, which isn't really augmented by the wisdom here.

In a general sense, (1) I do not want a transformer. Is this doable????

I am OK with (2) no dimmer as well. I can fiddle with brightness in various ways for our space. I don't think I'll be needing to tweak this aspect enough to make the expense and complexity worth it.

Currently (no pun intended) I have non-low-voltage wires coming from the wall, switched, to power two sets of UC zones.

Switch A powers two wires protruding from the bottom of each of a pair of 22.5" cabinets (flanking a passthru).

Switch B powers a single wire protruding from the bottom of one 16.5" cabinet (flanking a range). A second cabinet flanks the other side of the range but has no wire.

OK, first -- I think having separate switches for these things is silly. I plan to put them all together on a single switch unless someone here counsels that's unwise. Note that the two zones are somewhat distant; the kitchen is laid out as an "L" shape with the range on the bottom of the "L" and the passthru on the side of it. So the UCL zones are a bit distant. OTOH none of it is that distant and I use the space altogether as one...

Second -- I've decided it's probably OK to forgo UCL on the range-flanking cabinet that has no wires. I really don't use that space for prepwork. If for some reason I find I simply haven't enough light there later on, I figure I can just stick up a puck light -- but I doubt that will happen. I've used the kitchen for a while now and not been bothered by lighting absence there and that's with current sub-par lighting; I think it will all only get better in the future.

Question number 1:

>> Do you wise ones agree with this thinking so far (no transformer, no dimmer, skip last UCL)? I'm wanting to maximize energy-savings, minimize cost and complexity. I have dark counters but quite a bit of ambient light available so this is all kind of gravy.

Question number 2:

>> Is there any consensus on good sources for this? A lot of the source information on the LED DIY thread is old - it seems this is such a rapidly-changing industry people and products are coming and going at the speed of, um, light. or thereabouts.

Thanks for your thoughts. Sorry my questions aren't terribly sophisticated. I am really not up to speed with this at all.

Comments (6)