SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hammermom

A few questions about my granite

HammerMom
10 years ago

A few questions and some info:

This was installed in September. We were told it is called "honed gray granite", and knowing that some granites are called different things, I asked the installer if there were other names and was told they were unaware of any. There are some features of its quality that are making us wonder what it is or isn't, and maybe it's just because we have never had granite before.

I left the house for 15 minutes during the installation and when I came back I immediately noticed numerous spots - my inquiry about what they were was answered that they appeared to be moisture from the glue and that they would disappear "soon" but that they would delay sealing the granite until after the spots were gone. Most of them did disappear in a matter of days, but 3 remained. They are all fairly large, approx 6-8" in diameter. This picture shows 2 - one in the top corner and it's harder to see in this picture, but another exists in the front corner. (A third is on the opposite side of the sink in the back corner) - can anyone provide any insight as to why most of the other spots disappeared so quickly but these did not? I have a few suspicions, but I am not a fabricator or installer and would appreciate some feedback from anyone with experience with stone.

Meanwhile, my granite has not been sealed because I've been waiting for these spots to disappear. The installer had suggested in November that we go ahead and seal it anyway. We declined because it seems reasonable to think that will for sure lock in whatever moisture is trapped underneath. Yet, I'm also a bit concerned because I'm noticing how, in many places, but in particular close to the cooking surface, is getting much darker (probably due to cooking splatters?) - is this common for granite? I've read that soapstone gets darker....regardless it no longer looks like the sample we had (which we applied sealer to and it continues to remain a lighter gray even out in the elements)

Any thoughts about this would be appreciated. I'm kind of at a loss at the moment because we really like this granite (although it was our second choice as I had originally picked out a calacutta marble, but dh wasn't as crazy about it as I was and this has an amazing "sparkle" that we both were very drawn to) but it's not looking as much like the sample anymore...Thanks in advance!

Comments (5)