SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aggierose_gw

A few questions about my container pond..

aggierose
13 years ago

I have a few questions about my new container pond:

1. Do I need to keep the pump/spitter on 24/7, or just a few hours per day? (I have 6 feeder fish in it). I am using a fountain pump from Home depot. Is this ok or do I need an actual pond pump. Is there any difference?

2. Do I feed my goldfish, or let them eat plants, etc? The plants I bought are in solid plastic containers. Do I need to replace the containers with a basket so the fish can get to the plants?

3. How will the container stay clean? Do I need snails ,etc to eat algae, or do I need to empty and clean it every so often?

4. Do the plants live through the winter?

5. How high can the water temp get and still be ok for the fish? I was told the feeder fish wouldn't live in a container pond here in Dallas because they would get too hot. I decided to try it anyway since my pond is in full shade on my back porch.

6. Will my fish grow in this container or will it be too small for them to grow?

I think that's it for now, but I'm sure I'll have more later! Anne, if you read this, that you for all of your replies! :) I would love to post a pic for you, but I have no idea how to do it!

Thanks,

Belinda

Comments (3)