SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidandkasie

just a rant

davidandkasie
15 years ago

my house never had any lights on the driveway side of the house. you pull up at night and it was PITCH BLACK. so i finally went and picked up a couple of Dual Brite halogen motion lights. for those who don't know, they come on dim for a while if you wish, then kick to full brightness when they detect motion. well, even turning the darn things all the way down they would constantly come on every time a bug flew past. so i turned off the low light option thinking to keep the bugs down, nope EVERY bug that goes past would kick them on!

anyway, 2 months after install they start blowing bulbs from teh constant on/off cycles.

i went the other day and picked up some regular flood light fixtures that run from dusk to dawn and a couple of 26w CFL outdoor floods that compare to 125W bulbs. the halogens inteh dual brites were 150 watt each for 300 w a fixture, teh floods are only 52w a fixture but equivilent to 250w. i can honestly say i love the eveness of the light coverage for the new fixtures. the old ones had a huge dead area between the lights, if you put them so they did not they didn't cover very wide. these 2 new fixtures cover my entire drive, most of the front yard, and most of the back yard. i usually use a flashlight when i take the dog out at night, now i don't need one.

oh, and amazingly the fixtures i just got were made in the USA. how the heck Lowes let that slip thru i don't know.

Comment (1)