SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlikin

Galley kitchen lighting options

charlikin
15 years ago

Posted this originally in the kitchen forum, but this looks like it might be a better venue!

Originally I was going to buy light-colored maple cabinets and use a single overhead fixture plus undercabinet lighting in my small NYC galley kitchen (7'x10', door at one end, window at the other end). (Actually, *originally* I was *just* going to do the overhead fixture, but I was convinced by the wonderful folks on the kitchen forum that I should have the u/c lighting as well.)

As it turns out, I bought medium-colored maple cabinets instead, and now I feel I might want more light. I think the cabinets would look nicer (lighter?) with more light thrown at them. So even though I still like the way the single overhead fixture would look (and how inexpensive it is - I was considering a $50 fixture from Home Depot!), I'm wondering if I should really go for recessed lighting - or something else???

Not sure what the options are here. Recessed lighting looks kind of generic to me, but I know it would give me good even light. (How many cans would you put in my size kitchen??) Are there other types of fixtures that would work for me? Does anyone have any ideas? Pictures?

Go ahead - light my kitchen!!! ;-)

Thanks in advance for all help!

Comment