SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matt_shaver_gw

Whirlpool Duet Issues...

matt.shaver
16 years ago

I took delivery of a new Whirlpool Duet set on July 20th from Lowes and purchased the 5 year extended service plan on top for each appliance. Since then, I have had the dryer replaced once due to long drying times.

I have noticed something about the washer that is a little disturbing to me. When it spins and ramps up to the highest RPM, the tub wobbles left to right and sometimes diagonally at like 11 and 4 o'clock. This does work itself out when it gets up to high speeds, but it does make a knocking sound for a few moments and then once it's at high speed it seems to be OK and no longer makes the sound until it comes out of high spin.

It does this no matter what I have in the washer and what speed and/or cycle. I am using HE detergent in powder form, 1/2 of of the cup for a full load. At first I thought it was my imagination, but it is not. I've checked the leveling with a level on all sides and it is a level machine...period and they are installed on a concrete slab.

On a different note, which I am unhappy already about the washer. The dryer just will not dry. A load of darks which is 5 t-shirts, two pair of shorts, 8 pair dark colored boxers, 1 pair of girls kacki pants, 2 pair of socks and two pair of cotton lounging pants takes over an hour and fifteen minutes to dry and the waist bands of the pants and underwear were damp. This is really bad in my opinion.

I have a brand new vent system that is not flex going straight to the wall from the vent, two bends.

Overall I'm very dissapointed with this set. After all the cash I put out, you'd think that a washer (on concrete) would not wobble like this and the dryer would really dry without taking so much time.

Has anyone had any experience with Lowes? I'd like to exchange this set for a Bosh 500 set, ones that really wanted but did not stack. I can give up my little table for a W/D set that actually washes and dries. I think I'll call my representative at Lowes and see what they will do. I'm really not happy with them.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated....

Comments (32)