SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meagain1

LG 2688 vs. LG 2487 Washer

meagain1
17 years ago

Hi! I'm struggling with this choice between the 2 models.

Both have Steam, both 4.0cf.

The 2688 Washer has 1320 rpms vs. 1200 for the 2487.

The 2688 has the cool blue monitor.

Seems the dryer for the 2487 doesn't have 'sanitary'.

I can live without the cool blue monitor. Frankly I fear it going out some day and me not being able to make selections.

But unless I'm missing something, both units are similar except for the difference in RPMs.

What real world difference is there between 1320 rpms and 1200? Doesn't seem like a big leap to me.

$200 difference in just the washer. Any thoughts?

Comments (27)

• applemac
    17 years ago

They both have the sanitary cycle.

Only differences are: 1320 and the LCD screen on the 2688.

{{!gwi}}

• meagain1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Applemac - Thanks! I thought so. I see you have the 2688 (I'm jealous).... I'm not sure when the 2478 came out, but did you decide between them?

I'm not finding any comparison reviews between the 2, so I'm going to try to search for posts comparing 1300 rpm to 1200 on any brand. I'd like to know what the real life difference would be to me. I imagine it would save dryer time, but if it's only 3 minutes or so - then it's a wash.

I'm a bit concerned over the LCD screen. If it blows, how would one make their selections? Would one be DOA? The 2478 would still have indicator lights.

I see you picked white over blue. I'm on the fence about that. Seems the blue would look less dirty, etc. LOL - I'm so anal and not in the position cuz my washer is dead now.

• Related Discussions

He5T vs Nexxt 500 vs LG 2487 Steam

Q

Comments (4)
    I was also deciding between these 3 machines. I thought for sure I was going to get Nexxt 500 but will be taking delievery tomorrow of the LG 2487 Steam pair. One of the big final decisions for me was serviceability in my area and well, I just like the look of the LG ones better- which is an admitedly stupid thing to have as the tie-breaker! I am hoping that I'm just going to adore them given the enourmous price tag. Good luck deciding.
    ...See More

LG WM2487 spray nozzle/water recirculation

Q

Comments (2)
    My 2688 mainly shoots water onto the back wall of the drum, smack in the center. I don't think this is much of an issue, as the intent is to get some of the water from under the clothes in the drum onto the top of the clothes, and get mixed in. As long as its doing that, relax.
    ...See More

price of LG Tromm2688 whiteFL washer

Q

Comments (1)
    DON"T buy it! read on Appliances board under: "Update on problems with LG refrigerator Posted by: beache on Fri, Dec 8, 06 at 9:51 " kasia
    ...See More

LG Tromm SteamWasher 2688 vs. Kenmore Elite HE5t

Q

Comments (9)
    I have the HE5t without steam. I don't have any reason to have the steam function. I love my new washing machine, I've had it a bit over a month. I do dry the boot after the last load of the day and leave the door open when not in use. I use normal for most of my loads, I have also used Heavy Duty, great for hubby's outside clothes and Whitest Whites. I used the Sanitary function one time just to use it and it 'cleaned' as well as Whitest Whites. I have run the Clean Washer cycle one time, but I don't think that it needed it. The water comes up higher on the window and I had no suds, probably because I've been using Charlie's Soap exclusively. I sure wish that I had a light in my washing machine!
    ...See More
  • applemac
    17 years ago

I went to Best Buy to purchase the 2487 and look at the 2688 but it wasn't in yet so I went to Home Depot and they matched the Best Buy sale on the 2688 plus 10% off. So that's how I ended up with the 2688

• applemac
    17 years ago

Did you see the 2688 reviews on Epinion

Here is a link that might be useful: LG Reviews

• applemac
    17 years ago

and 3 more here...

Here is a link that might be useful: LG Reviews

• meagain1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

:( Best Buy had a sale? Dang.

That's the other thing... Not sure where to buy yet. Home Depot has a 10% off if you get the credit card, but my husband is saying that's not a great thing to do for your credit history.

It sounds like an LG sale, not a Best Buy sale? I'm also wondering if there might be a Columbus Day weekend sale opportunity here. I've no clue how often the right time to buy a washer comes up at these places.

Applemac - Are you happy with it/them? May I ask what you ended up spending on the deal?

• applemac
    17 years ago

I think they had it on sale twice now. If it's on sale at Best Buy print out a copy of the sale and take it to Home Depot. They will match the sale price plus 10% and I made out with about $350.00 savings.

I haven't had a chance to use the LG washer yet. I just got it a couple days ago.

• meagain1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Applemac - Thanks. Crunching numbers, it's looking like I'll get the 2688 in White. I was digging blue, but the white would be so clean & happy looking - Plus it'll save some cash.

I'll be interested in your review. Especially on the steam! Thanks.

• applemac
    17 years ago

Okay, first load today was 8 pair of jeans. After the cycle the jeans felt so dry thanks to the 1320 rmps. So far so good....

• meagain1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

applemac - Excellent! I'd be curious as to how long it took to dry those 8 pairs of jeans. And, I was cruising around the gallery section and (if I recall), you had the... 77? model which had 1100? rpms - I'd be interested in how it compares between the 1320. Noticeable?

• dross
    17 years ago

1320RPM will generate 44% more G force than 1100RPM, though the actual effect on water extraction also depends on how long the machine spins at the top speed, and type of fabric. Also, note that for many types of laundry one intentionally chooses a speed even lower than 1100 in order to reduce wrinkles. - DR

• applemac
    17 years ago

Not sure on the time, around 45 mins or so... Yes, when I liked in Ca I had the 2277 which I liked a lot. Yes, I can tell that the 2688 dries faster then the 2277 which sometimes took just over a hour too dry a lot of towels.

• niineta
    17 years ago

Does anyone know if you can select a lower spin speed on the LG2688? I am worried about a second floor installation.
    Thank you.

• applemac
    17 years ago

Yes, it has the option of lowering the spin speeds.

• iristyle
    17 years ago

Other than the 100 RPM + SteamWash option, can anyone tell me why the 2277 and 2487 are about $300 different in price? I compared the two on the LG site, and they look really similar (and I actually prefer the 2277 brushed look to the chrome on the 2487).

• applemac
    17 years ago

A few more loads today. Tired the Steam cyclone on a set of sheets today, I had a stain that wouldn't come off until today :-) Happy Happy! So far I really like the 2688 but you have to get use to not seeing any water in the drum. This washers using a lot less then I'm use to. You can't see the steam when the Steam or Steam Fresh cycle are selected, but you know its their by the steam on the door window.

iristyle, The 2277 is the older model about 2 years now. The 2487 has a larger capacity drum and 9 wash cycles.

• meagain1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Fantastic! Mine arrive tomorrow so I'm sprucing up the room, new sink, painted the concrete floor, etc. I'm going to put it on concrete blocks that are about 2.5" tall in case of leaks to protect it.

Applemac - I just bought a small box of Tide HE to get me started (along with Downy Vanilla/Lavendar softener for kicks). I'm curious as to what soap you're using and what dose is working for you? Since my washer died days ago, I'm in urgent need to get a few loads done and don't have the luxury of much experimentation now so I'm trying to nail amounts down to triage the situation.

I'm more excited about this than the new car we just got!

• iristyle
    17 years ago

applemac -- A-ha! Thanks for the info... I searched and searched and searched and couldn't find anything. Are there any improvements regarding suspension / vibration in the 2487? Is the boot any different than the 2277? I ask b/c I've heard of people having the mold issue on the 2277, and I was wondering if that situation was addressed.

Thanks

• applemac
    17 years ago

meagain,

I wash with Persil and use about 2 to 4 tablespoons depending on the load size.

iristyle,

I would think they improved the 2487 over the 2277 which isn't a bad washer at all, I owned it when I lived in California. But if I were you I would go with the newer model 2487.

• meagain1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

:) I have one clean load of laundry done. First used 3 TBL of the Tide HE. I think I need more so I doubled it for this 2nd load. IDK. The clothes smell nice. I had 2 pairs of jeans in the load and I swear they took around 15 minutes to dry! Holy cr*p! My gas bill should be lower!

This is my first FL and I sat there with the tub light on with my nose against the door watching. SOOOO little water. Do these things clean clothes by merely beating them by tossing about or what? It seemed to take about 5 min for them to get wet. The whole concept is weird & very foreign to me.

• applemac
    17 years ago

Correct, SOOOO little water.... The drop and toss of the wet laundry soaked in detergent does it job You do have the option for adding more water to a load but it's not really necessary....

• kko1960
    17 years ago

I can't believe that someone had the exact questions I had about the difference in these two models ;-)

I'm leaning towards the 2688 - because of the higher RPMs possible - and the fact that I will have an electric dryer with high electric costs in my area...

Does anybody know what the regular price vs the sale price of the two models is at Best Buy? I know someone mentioned that the 2688 has been on sale twice... this week it looks like the 2487 is priced at Best Buy for $1299.99.

I would also be interested to hear folks experiences with the companion dryers for each of these models. Thanks in advance!

• meagain1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

kko - I'm glad I got the 2688 because I now realize the ability to spin at any higher rate over others is a big deal. I figure even if it shaves 5 min off my drying time, the extra cost up front for more RPM will pay for itself plus provide the bonus of time savings for me.

Yes, compareing white vs. white in the 2 models... 2487 is $1300 and the 2688 is $1500.
    BB was going to give me $300 off the 2487 and $450 off the 2688 ($500 off on the blue), but gave me $500 off the white anyway. It made getting the 2688 a no-brainer. These prices off are for the pair. (Then I got a gift card for the washer).

kko - I've not even read the dryer manual (gas DLG8388), but it drys great! LOL I'm kinda ticked that there doesn't seem to be a way to turn on the interior light on the dryer during drying like you can the washer. I'm really loving the tub lights in these things. A real treat!
    Both units are very quiet.

• kko1960
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info meagain... I hope I can negotiate something close to what you got - you're right, it would make it a no-brainer then!

So you can turn on the light in the washer, eh? That will be neat...

• meagain1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

kko - Yep. You hold down one of the buttons for 3 seconds and the light stays on inside for 4 minutes. I kept turning it on so I could keep watching. It's pretty bright too.

• nontoxic6
    16 years ago

The better thing about going to purchase the LG washer/dryer at Best Buy rather than Home Depot is the warranty. At Best Buy, I purchased the LG 2487 and the 7177 dryer and a warranty for 5 total years covering everything was $200. Try getting that at Home Depot! Also, Best Buy has their own service team wheras Home Depot has to use an outside source which to me means more people to have to go through if there is something major that has to be replaced. My experience with Best Buy warranty's in past has been exceptional. And, even though they aren't supposed to honor it, I bough my machines on sale and used the 12% off coupon (which is supposed to be off regular selling price and on one item only per purchase) on the set and including the stands for both. Got a tremendous deal and nobody could have beat the deal we got (and warranty was a great piece of mind from Best Buy). I have had problems with warranty work from Expo (a Home Depot company in the past). Anyway, machines are great and we have had them since last November (2006) without a problem. Just make sure when your wash is done, you leave the washing machine door open to dry out or you may have the same problems the Maytag Neptune we replaced had with mold. The drainage on the LG machine is great and so far, no problems.

• nontoxic6
    16 years ago

Plus, in addition to my last post, Best Buy gives you rewards points and for a purchase this big, I must have got about $150 in reward points which I used not too long afterwards.