SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marisany

Which induction cooktop required the least clearance above?

marisany
14 years ago

I envy you all your new kitchens. We are living with a 1984 (ugly!) kitchen - will probably re-do in the next year or two.

Several appliances have failed since we've owned the house. As a matter of fact, we've replaced everything except the gas cooktop. It is a Thermador, circa 1984, and a part has failed (continuous clicking sound). I'd like to replace it with an induction cooktop. I'd actually chosen one about 6 months ago, a GE model, but then was daunted by the difficulty of retrofitting it. The space underneath isn't a problem - I'm willing to give up the two small drawers, and there are pullouts below that where I store my pans (which are All Clad stainless, will work with induction). But this model would have needed so much clearance above that I would have had to replace the vent fan. I wouldn't mind doing it, but it is hidden behind false cabinet doors (almond formica with wood trim - awful!) and I could not figure out what to do. I looked for a while for a simple stainless vent hood that would fit into the space, but gave up.

Now I need to replace the cooktop right away. Would like to do an induction - any suggestions for a model that might be easier to put into my space?

Comments (13)