SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poorowner_gw

which induction cooktop?

PoorOwner
15 years ago

I posted in the kitchen forum but someone suggest I ask the question here instead,

I would like a 30" induction cooktop in my remodel and I am not sure which to pick, GE, Kenmore or Bosch?

I noticed GE required 40 Amp circuit and Bosch I think 30 Amp, does that mean the Bosch is less powerful?

The budget is around $2000 but I wouldn't mind spending less like the Kenmore, but the reviews on Sears.com has scared me a little.

I am also doing a wall oven below as the built in, I know you should use the same brand oven under the cooktop, I really liked the Bosch ovens 800 series.. so I am leaning towards Bosch.

Update: I just called Bosch though and they told me it can't be done because the electrical box needs to be a certain distance below the cooktop.. But I think maybe I can put it inside the wall on a stud to clear the oven.

Thanks

Comments (29)

• yolande_1951
    15 years ago

Check how much clearance the induction top needs.The electronics need some breathing room I think.

I have a 36 inch Miele and was going to put an oven under it until I discovered how uncomfortably low that oven would be. I have a false front under the cook top and then 2 deep pot drawers, and have double ovens elsewhere.
    Judy

• lip2000
    15 years ago

The Sears unit is made by electrolux. Generally the electrolux gets very good ratings. I'm biased as I have one and an oven and love both but if you read some reviews on the electrolux induction on various sites and this one, it will help you if you would like to go the Sears route.

I would have liked to go with Miele for the induction top because they have a couple of options that I would have liked but here in Canada Miele are into extortion (cost is 2x what you pay in USA) so I refuse...I would have still bought the electrolux oven as I liked it much better than the Miele for less than half the cost.

Regards and good luck,

LIP

• Related Discussions

Which induction cooktops?

Q

Comments (3)
    I just watched a video. Unless there is a more convenient way to adjust the power than in the video, the CIT365 is MUCH more convenient to use from that aspect. Scrolling is way cool, but takes much longer. The CIT365 is great, in that you can either use the + or - to change power one step at a time, or just touch the number directly for larger steps. I would also be interested to know how much power can be delivered into each pot size. e.g., for a 10" pot of water to be boiled, how much power? The Freedom series does recognize very small pots -- down to 3" if pretty much centered over one of the coils. And odd shaped things such as griddles. Here is a link that might be useful: Thermador Freedom video
    ...See More

Which Induction cooktop?

Q

Comments (42)
    I have the 36" Miele. You can keep the pan off the hob for 3 minutes before it turns itself off, and it doesn't beep but it does flash. I am also a messy stirrer and it doesn't turn it off, nor does a 'slight' boilover. I haven't had a major boilover yet--I've learned not to walk away from it if it's on high, because whatever is on the stove will boil quickly and then I just turn it down to simmer. What DOES turn it off immediately and makes it beep like mad is if you cover up the controls, be it with a towel or a pan. It does not mind being cleaned, though--a quick swipe is fine and does not cause beepage. As to "keep warm", setting 2 or 3 will do that nicely, depending on how much food is in the pan you want to keep warm. 1 is not enough to keep a hot pan of something hot, but it will melt your chocolate nicely without a Bain Marie. If you turn on your burner, it comes on at level 6. You can reset this if you wish to anything you want. The Miele is highly configurable--you can reset a lot of the factory settings to your liking, including how many levels there are, how loud the beeps are, etc. As for Boost, there is power sharing. The two burners on the right are a pair, the two on the left are a pair, and the one in the middle is on it's own. You may use Boost on one in each pair, and in the middle...for a total of 3 burners at any given time. I've had my Miele for about 8 months and love it. Cj
    ...See More

Which Induction Cooktop: Thermador, Electrolux Icon, or GE Profil

Q

Comments (2)
    I've had the GE for nearly two years.....love it, love it, love it. Still looks brand new - no scratches. Love how it cleans up, love induction, etc. I chose this model because of burner placement. I tend to use the larger burner alot - whether stirfry, pan meals, large soup pots, etc. and it was one of the few models that but a larger burner in front. It has the small burner on the left, and a larger burner on the right. Many 30" put the larger burner in the back. I also liked it's price point. Good luck!
    ...See More

Which induction cooktop is best for me?

Q

Comments (5)
    You will need to shim in the side to side with wood and make the front to back a little bigger. You don't want the cooktop to hang from the glass. Generally there are little support tabs that hold the weight of the cooktop instead of the glass.
    ...See More
  • PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LIP2000 which oven do you have, do you have it under the cook top?

I like kenmore products in general, but the reviews about the unit suddenly dying after a year or two is scaring me off a bit.. I really think a product at that price should last at least 10 years.

• guadalupe
    15 years ago

The Sears is an Electrolux high bred unit which has not faired well. The units thta hold up seam to be made by Brandt, which would be the Diva, Wolf, Fagor, Windcrest and one other I can't think of, wait its de dietrich which is not approved for use in the USA

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi thanks for the advices, many to look at!

But, what do you think about what Bosch told me about the junction box clearance conflicting with my hopes of installing an oven underneath? I read the actual installation manual at Bosch's, it comes with 36" armor cabled and want to go into a junction box "approx" 12" below the counter top. But couldn't the box be embedded flush with the wall like my old Range receptacle was? I can still locate it 12" or more below the cooktop, just inside the wall. I am planning to install a temperature controlled computer fan to add some ventilation to area no matter what brand I chose.

The oven needs to be removed if I need to service either of them anyway.

I have included the instruction here:

Here is a link that might be useful: BOSCH Induction install manual

• carguy60
    15 years ago

Poorowner

I looked at the Bosch install manual and I believe that this cooktop is the same as the Thermador that I installed
    last year.

The way that the power cable is attached to the cooktop will allow you to put the box in the wall cavity.
    you will need to provide some air to the bottom of the cooktop.
    The heat shield, which ensures that the intake air does not mix with the exhaust air, will require you to have the oven no closer than 2 inches from the bottom of the cooktop.

I would also be wary of the depth of the oven. I found that the Thermador oven would not install into a base cabinet unless the back was cut out. I would bet that Bosch will be the same.

Good Luck
    John

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey John (CarGuy)
    You are right, the installation manual is word for word!
    It does seem a bit touchy about the clearances.

So I think now I am going to relocate the oven to the island (don't want to take the risk), and have drawers underneath the cooktop, it seems I only loses a small drawer this way. (I understand that you installed the shield into your small drawer) but I will see if that is feasable for me, otherwise I have a 4" false front which is plenty for the cooktop to live. Thanks for confirming the wiring issue, the manual is not too helpful.

Can I ask you if your Thermador have timer to shut down the burner? Because the Bosch does not seem to, some old posts says the bosch does, but the manual says it's just a beeper. I think it is the same unit as Thermador.

Are you happy with yours? I am choosing the Bosch because it seems to have the best safety features.

• carguy60
    15 years ago

Poorowner

The Thermador does have a timer, but we have never used it.

We are happy with the cooktop and the other Thermador appliances that we installed. (oven and warming drawer)

We had some issues with the oven.
    A very good local technician solved the problem in cooperation with Thermador. It took several visits but the oven works great now.

You must have seen my posts about the heat shield.
    If you look at those photos, you will see the small fence
    that I made in the drawer to surround the power conduit.
    that should give you an idea as to the placement of the conduit, and its ability to point to the back.

Good Luck

John

• Cyberspacer
    15 years ago

The Miele allows all burners to work when you boost a burners. Induction w/ Thermador and Wolf turns off the burners next to a burner using a boost. The advantage w/ the Miele is that all burners work. The cooktop is also lower priced that the other brands.

• lip2000
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I have an electrolux icon oven underneith the the electrolux icon induction cooktop. I went this route because I was told mixing induction cooktops and ovens when installing the oven underneith can be problematic and I think that was correct. My unit vents on top which allows an oven underneith. Many induction units do not vent ontop and have a greater restriction on how close the top of the oven or a combustable item can come to the induction unit. I would have preferred a frameless cooktop for the cleanup reason but looks wise the stainless looks nice. We will put some silicon around the unit to prevent liquids from getting underneith it and then in the cabinent/ontop of the oven.

BTW-I looked for negative reviews on the electrolux and kenmore induction units but couldn't really find any.

LIP

• kaseki
    15 years ago

My Kenmore 5-hob induction cooktop is working well, presently sitting on top of a table while my kitchen reno progresses. There is someone here who's mother, I think, had a lot of problems getting her Kenmore repaired or something. I'm unclear what model it was or how old it was.

One caution for these units (and perhaps most induction cooktops) is to not use such large pans, or misaligned pans, that the hot pan bottom overlaps the control area. This may damage the electronics. Electrolux deliberately put a stainless steel strip on the cooktop to discourage this practice. The Kenmore lacks this strip, which I didn't care for aesthetically. Otherwise, I wouldn't call the Kenmore a hybrid of the Electrolux. As far as I can tell, it is otherwise identical.

kas

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just an update I selected a Bosch induction just based on one function. Sometimes we would boil and spill stuff, with the oil coil unit this would give a loud sizzling and we would turn it off quickly.

Bosch (and thermador) seems to be the only one documented they have auto spill shut off to prevent us from flooding our range top. Since I assume with these units the spilling is not as audiable.

• mississippirose
    15 years ago

I just talked to Bosch this morning. They require a 40 amp breaker because of the power boost feature. I am going to chose the Bosch because I like the layout and their long experience with induction. GE has the highest power at 3700 watts. Diva's power is at 3600. Bosch is close to that. Diva's unit is too narrow for my use otherwise I would go with them. You can get their units at 25% discount on their website that are demos that are basically new and fully warranted.

• canuck99
    15 years ago

I would not worry about 3200 vs 3600 watts if the unit needs 40 Amps for 30 inch and 50 Amps for 36 inch you have a lot of power at your fingers tips. Compared the heating output to a gas cooktop and you will be suprised. I have had a 36 inch 10.6 KW unit for 8 months and I never felt I was behind because I did not have enough power or control high or low end. Things can happen much faster than you are use to so be prepared to pay attention till you get use to it. I must admit I have only used 4 of the 5 burners at any point in time. I do like the space between the burners with the extra 6 in of width. I have a unit that has timers and I use that to cook rice, vegtables with a target time once boiling starts.

• dlspellman
    15 years ago

I have had my GE 30" all black induction cooktop installed and working since Dec. 2007 - I LOVE IT! It's a breeze to clean and is so responsive. No complaints at all....and I even cheated and didn't leave the clearance below that they required.

They wanted 12" or something extreme. But, I really wanted a shallow drawer below it, so I risked it and it has been fine. The drawer front looks like all my other top drawer fronts, but when you open it, it's only about 3-4" deep, so only the shallowest of utensils (and non-flammable) ones go in this drawer. It's worked great. Sometimes if I have all burners on, I will open that drawer to allow better ventilation. Otherwise, it's been no problem and I'd do it again.

One other thing, I was at a Lowe's and they had the new GE double in a single oven below this same induction. I've not read the installation guides, but, boy - if you are tight for space, this is a great way to get two ovens in a single space. The lowest oven is admittedly close to the ground - but, it did have a 22 lb. size plastic turkey in it to show that a turkey fits in it! I was impressed. A friend of mine has the Gemini range (same oven concept) and says she uses the small top one 90% of the time. So just an idea to possibly investigate.....

You are going to love induction! Good Luck!

• rnest44
    15 years ago

dlspellman, What a great option!

This oven is approved for placement below a cooktop but only specific models. I can't find what those models are, can some one help?

Also the convection and 'special features' all appear to be located in the lower oven so it will be low under a cooktop.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

dlspellman... the GE induction range model is now out at Lowes? I'll have to check it out. Is it true that they only have the freestanding model and not the slide in model?

• dlspellman
    15 years ago

Remodelfla -

What I saw at Lowes in a kitchen display was a GE Profile 30" induction cooktop (all black one), and directly below the cooktop was the new GE Profile 30" double in a single oven. Two separate units. The oven is designed like the Maytag Gemini - two smaller ovens in the space of one. Top one was like 5-6" deep (perfect for pizzas, casseroles, brownies, etc. - 90% of what everyone bakes)
    and the lower oven was convection and big enough for a 22 lb. turkey.

I'm assuming that since it was displayed like this, GE does allow in it's installation guide for this type of an install, but one should verify that, I haven't!

I've been helping a friend - and her ideal would be a slide in induction with the two ovens (like a Gemini, which she has now and loves). Sears had a slide in induction with one oven and a warming drawer, but she really loves her Gemini oven set up. We were excited to see this on display, as it is a good backup option - although more costly than a slide in....

Hope this helps... Go to GE's website and look for the single double oven...It's pretty impressive in person.

• weedmeister
    15 years ago

Spellman is refering to a GE wall oven beneath an induction cooktop.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

OH... OK. I was asking because GE is coming out with an induction range like the Electrolux/Sears and Viking. I thought maybe it had come out.

• alanrockwood
    15 years ago

I bought an induction cooktop a few years ago... maybe four years ago or so. At that time the selection in the US was poor, and most of the available units were very expensive, so I looked elsewhere.

I ended up buying one on ebay Germany. I checked with the vendor before bidding on it. It was a little difficult getting the purchase and the shipping all taken care of, and part of that was a small language barrier, but in the end we got a nice unit and saved a lot of money.

I checked on ebay UK recently, and there are some very good deals there. Of course, unless you are in the UK you should check with the vendor first before bidding.

As regards to shipping, some vendors will not object to sending it out of the country, provided they don't have to arrange for the shipping, so if you can find a shipping company who is willing to reship it you can just have the item shipped to the shipping company, and then they will then ship it to you.

A word about power. Standard household power in Europe is 220-240 Volts. Generally, it works just fine to hook a European cooktop to a US 220-240 volt line. European 240 V is single ended, whereas US 240 V. is balanced, but I understand that European electrical standards are such that appliances are designed so that balanced vs. single ended power is not really an issue.

The line frequency is different in Europe, 50 Hz vs. there 60 Hz here, but this turns out to be no problem. There are really only two places where line frequency are likely to alter function. One is for timing (clocks), but few electrical devices rely on line frequency these days for clocking. The other is that the rotational frequency of some electrical, motors (such as induction motors) depends on the line frequency. Thus, a cooling fan might run at a little higher speed in the US than in Europe, and generally speaking it would keep the electronics a little cooler when used in the US... a good thing for lifetime of the electronics.

Disclaimer... the above comments about power are my own non-professional opinion.

• runnymede_2009
    15 years ago

I am not a "hood person" so was thinking of getting a slide out hood so I don't have to look at it all the time. Does anyone have a Faber slide out hood and do they like it?

• mrs-mjt
    15 years ago

poorowner, You said you choose the Bosch. Has it been installed? If so, how is it working for you?

I got the 30" Kenmore Elite and don't like it. Already had to have the guts totally replaced once and now it seems like the burners are slow to heat water. I have a service guy coming out tomorrow and hope they'll let me replace it with Bosch or GE.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Just an FYI... after all my research, I think I'm going to go with a 36" Miele. I like the layout and true timers.

• mally241
    15 years ago

I purchased the Kenmore induction about 3 years ago. Now, one of the electrical elements has burned out and the repair estimate is $500. So, I am thinking of getting a new unit.

• mrs-mjt
    15 years ago

I had a Kenmore Elite installed in Dec 2008. After a power outage, on Christmas day, the cooktop had an error message and an annoying beep that wouldn't stop until we turned off the breaker. It took 2-3 hours to restart. We continued to have power outages during January and the same thing occurred repeatedly, but each time the cooktop took longer to reboot. Once it took 3 days before I could use it again.

Serviceman came, couldn't figure out problem so replaced the entire guts of the unit ($1300 their cost). Since that time the hobs have been slow to boil water. Some take over 10 minutes which is not acceptable for induction. I went to Sears store where I purchased cooktop to ask if they'd replace it and was pleasantly surprised to hear them say "yes". I ordered the Bosch. The salesman said that Electrolux which makes Kenmore Elite is junk. I concur. Buyer beware! I read the reviews on Sears.com and many were positive, but in retropsect, I wish I would've heeded the negative reviews. If you decide to buy Kenmore Elite, make sure you get the protection agreement as you may need it.

• wils148_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago

Last summer I read these reviews and appreciated them all - thank you for taking the time to share.

As a result, we ended up buying a 36", 5-burner, induction cooktop from The Great Indoors (Sears). We were fortunate to find a Bosch at almost half-price as the newer models were coming in - and we elected to purchase the 5-year extended warranty as we now do with all high-priced electronic appliances.

Six to eight weeks after installation, one section (two burners) went out and Sears replaced it in our home at no cost to us. We were able to continue using the remaining three (3) "burners" (I know they have another name, but I still do not have the "lingo" down), so it really did not present a problem - but I definitely recommend buying an extended warranty!

We absolutely love our cooktop - I would pay full-price tomorrow if I had to replace it because I enjoy cooking on it so much. I like the Bosch appearance - with only top and bottom stainless steel strips it is clean and sleek. But the cooking improvement over electric cooktops is immeasurable.

I had regretted being unable to install a gas cooktop (our cooktop is in a center island over a slab) and now feel it was a blessing in disguise. The change in temperature when adjusted on induction is as immediate if not better than gas. Spilled or splattered food does not stick because the cooktop itself does not heat up and clean up is simple. Heated pans do transfer some of their heat to the cooktop; you cannot hold your hand on it, but I've touched them and not been burned. I am thrilled gas was not an option!

To us, however, the most amazing part of cooking with induction is the lack of heat generated while cooking. We live in Houston, TX, (hot, yes!) and love to entertain, but I always felt wilted by the time dinner was on the table because of the heat coming off of the cooktop as I cooked. With induction, the only heat generated is within the pan and directly above it. You can literally touch the cooktop right next to the pan and it is cool. As a result, you can cook a meal utilizing several "burners" and remain comfortable while doing so. The first time I cooked dinner using three pans simultaneously (one of pasta in boiling water), I was stunned that I was cool and comfortable when I put dinner on the table. It is wonderful when entertaining! I can't believe that salespeople don't use this as a selling point!

Again - my thanks. I love induction cooking! Now - on to new countertops as we continue updating our 30-year-old kitchen! Any suggestions?

• hubrast_tds_net
    12 years ago

Hi -- can you install an oven and a induction cooktop in the same cabinet? Thanks, H

• mmazza
    12 years ago

I bought the Bosch 30 inch induction cooktop. I have owned it for a little over a year and love it. I have not had any problems with it and am able to cook with much more precision. My mom hates it when she leaves here after a visit and then has to wait for her tea water to boil on her gas stove. The clean up is amazing! The only thing I do not like is that when you have all burners going at once, you need to hit the burner you want to control and then adjust the temp. I have had issues where I simmered the pasta and boiled the sauce. It takes some getting used to. Wolf has
    the controls on each burner. I wish I knew that before. I am used to it
    now and do love it!