SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

What size, spacing of ceiling fixtures in 28ft long hall?

2ajsmama
14 years ago

I have a modular home with an app. 28ft long hallway upstairs. I had them put a sconce at top (2nd step down) of stairs (code also required light at bottom of stairs to be on same pair of switches). i left placement of the hallway lighting to the factory.

They installed a 2-bulb "mushroom" style light with frosted shade at either end of the hallway - app 6ft from each end. The linen closet is slightly to the right (as you come up) of the top of the stairs. The bathroom is within a few inches of that. The ceiling lights are right outside the BR doors!

The middle of the hall is very dark if the bathroom door is closed (or night and bathroom vanity lights aren't on). It is impossible to see anything in the linen closet unless I open the door WIDE and turn the stair lights on (hinge is about lined up with sconce) which seems a waste since it means the light at the bottom of the stairs is on too. I could put a battery-operated light in the linen closet but it still bugs me that the middle 10ft or so of the hall is SO dark!

The hallway ceiling is crowded in the middle with a big return air vent and TWO smoke/CO detectors (since one is a combo and one is a regular smoke I don't know why they needed both within 10 ft of each other - we also have SDs just inside each BR door). The ceiling is 8ft, so can't really do pendants. House is traditional Colonial so don't want tracks.

Should I try replacing the mushroom lights with something in a clear shade? 3 bulbs instead of 2? Or do you think I have to add another fixture somewhere in the middle around the bathroom door between the return vent and one of the SDs? I have another one of these fixtures I took out of my WIC. Thanks.

Comments (4)