SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reno_fan

It almost killed us, but my cabinets are yellow!

reno_fan
15 years ago

I'm about 98% done. Still have to paint the toekick areas, and touch up a few spots, but I may collapse and be unable to post pics later! DH and I were up well into the morning finishing up. I worked non-stop for several on this, and I didn't realize just how big a project it was until I was midway through. DH and DS *totally* made this possible. They sanded and cleaned all 28 doors, and helped me paint. They handled all of the yuck work that I hate like removing hardware, taping, etc. I literally could NOT have done this without them.

The true color is really, really difficult to capture on film. The flash washes it out and makes it look just cream. Without flash, they almost look neon. The true color is a buttercream yellow that looks just like vanilla cake batter. It's *perfect*.

I did a soft glaze with SW VanDyke Brown, and it finally feels like the kitchen belongs. I LOVE it, and it totally makes me smile. The rustic saltillo floors finally aren't in competition with the cabinets. YAY!

Even DS and DH who normally don't have opinions about my neverending projects commented that it looks really, really good, and much better than they'd expected when I first said "Yellow".

I'll try to snap more pics later, as the morning light is coming in the window and really affected how the pics are turning out. Here are just a few:

Comments (82)

• skypathway
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Looks very high end. Congratulations on a job well done.

Sky

• ideamom
    15 years ago

Oh my Reno you are making me look bad!! My kitchen cabinet painting project is still not finished! You can see some of what I've done on my kitchen on my blog ourcreativelife.blogspot.com (I hope that's allowed)

• Related Discussions

Help Identify - Brown/Yellow Dying Grass Killing My Lawn

Q

Comments (10)
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail." I think that came out wrong. I was not hinting at anything you said. I was setting up for what I was about to say. My hammer is corn meal, which in the organic world is recognized as a fungal disease preventer and cure. The nail is your yellow grass. When I see the yellow grass, I assume it is a fungal problem. I can see where that could easily be misinterpreted. Sorry. YES, you have to wait until late summer to reseed. Why? Well you don't have to but if you want good results, wait. Seeding now will give you a yard full of crabgrass right away and later on, any grass that did germinate will die from the heat allowing the crabgrass to fully take over. If you want to fix that for the future, you could seed in some Kentucky bluegrass in the late summer. It will spread to fill in weak spots where fescues do not spread.
    ...See More

something killing my zucchini and yellow squash

Q

Comments (1)
    Probably Squash Borers (see link below). Cut open some of the stems and you should find some of them. Art Here is a link that might be useful: Squash Borers
    ...See More

Cardboard killed my worms & other useful info

Q

Comments (3)
    I'm so sorry for your loss! I recently lost 1/2 of one of my bins to overheating, and I'm positive the acrid smell you were smelling were your worms dying. This smell is something I will never forget. I wonder what larger boxes of cardboard have in them that smaller ones don't? You're absolutely right about a larger container makes it easier for the worms to get away from any potential problems. Space constraints don't allow me to have a huge bin, (mine are in my spare bedroom of my apartment) but I do have a few rubbermaid bins. Having more than one, if something happens, like in my case, I have worms left to build on. Thanks for sharing.
    ...See More

My cabinets are IN! (I'm almost ready to be excited again)

Q

Comments (26)
    How exciting, on all counts. Hopefully, the kitchen will come together soon and you can enjoy your home. Sorry to hear DS has not been feeling well, hope he's better now. He's such a cutie. You are such a patient, kind mother, and he reflects the love and security he feels. (My DGS has been sick with rotavirus - finally getting better, but it's been hard on his mom, she's 9 months pregnant.) You are certainly keeping busy, now with the adoption, too. I was adopted 61 years ago, and I've had a wonderful life. DS will make a wonderful big brother. Barb
    ...See More
  • yayagal
    15 years ago

I'm a huge fan of yellow and have wanted to do my wood cabinets in my tiny kitchen and you've given me the color and push to do it. Your kitchen is amazing!!!!! Right now DH and I have been painting our living room since noon so we won't be doing the kitchen soon. I'll bet you were thrilled to get it all back together and looking soooo fantastic. Tell the truth, how many times did you sneak in to the kitchen just to sigh and smile. :-)?

• lorriekay
    15 years ago

Your cabs came out sooooo pretty. I love them!
    I felt a teenie flash of anger when I read your sentence "dh and I were working into the wee hours of the morning"
    Grrr I am Never going to finish my cabs because dh would never help me out with anything like that :(
    I am sort of at a stall but seeing your "after" pics have motivated me!
    simply gorgeous!!

• slateberry
    15 years ago

I really like your squares set on diagonal backsplash. I've been wanting to do one like that in just ordinary white 4 x 4 bathroom tiles, but fearing it would make my kitchen look...bathroomish? But yours looks great! What did you use?

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Oh that turned out wonderful! We were actually going to go with yellow ourselves initially. Then we discovered gorgeous wood that I just couldn't paint over and we fell in love with a granite that doesn't look too good with yellow.

It is so, so refreshing to see somebody do something other than "creamy white" for their painted cabinets.

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OMG, thank you all! You guys rock.

RMKitchen, I'm a HUGE fan of your kitchen! It's absolutely droolworthy. I too love white kitchens! If I had wood floors like yours, I likely would have kept the cabs white. But the saltillo tile that I really, really like just never looked good with the white. DH said under NO circumstances will we be removing the floor, so I had to work around it.

I do go over to Kitchens a lot, but not as much as I did when we did our first remodel. I need to go check out some of the newest offerings.

Southernheart, the paint was a color-matched can I had in the garage. I don't even remember what it was for, but it looked like a nice yellow, and sure enough, it was perfect.

Robynpa, The glaze is a Sherwin Williams color called Van Dyke Brown mixed in their faux glazing medium. Just about every decorator I know in my area uses this color/type of glaze. It's mixed at SW, and you just brush it on, then gently wipe it off. I slathered it into the corners and crevices with an old brush, then gently wiped it off with alternating dry and wet rags and 000 Stee wool to give the cabinets a striated effect.

I did glaze the frames while the doors were off. I also glazed the doors while they were off. They're much easier to do when flat!

Ideamom, GREAT blog! Cabinets are a pain, yes?? Yours look fantastic.

Yayagal, I've walked in there just to stand and stare ALL day. I had to go out the garage to put away a bunch of supplies, and when I walked back in I gasped. I love it more than any kitchen I've ever been in!

I felt a teenie flash of anger when I read your sentence "dh and I were working into the wee hours of the morning"
    Grrr I am Never going to finish my cabs because dh would never help me out with anything like that :(

Funny you should say that, as my DH, great guy that he is, NEVER helps me with my projects. Usually I'm a one-horse team. I honestly don't know what happened, but all of a sudden DH was like, "Okay, let's get to work." He usually gets grumpy/tired toward the end of a day of slavery, but for some reason, this time he just kept everything going, encouraging me not to stop, "We could be finished tonight, let's just do it", etc. I've NEVER seen him do that before, and *I'm* usually the one jealous when I see other couples working together, side by side, etc. I don't know what happened, but I'm not gonna ask too many questions! LOL!

Slateberry, I literally laughed out loud when I read your post, but what I used for my backsplash was literally plain white bathroom tile from Lowes. No joke. I got tired of all of the tumbled marble everywhere, and wanted something that was actually glossy. I didn't have the budget for fancy Sonoma tile, so I bought the el-cheapo bathroom tiles from Lowes, spruced them up with a decorative tile border, set them on the diagonal, and bought sheets of another tile that had the little black squares and plucked them off to use for the insets.

I did hire a guy to install it, but the cost of materials was under $200. I'm glad you don't think it looks "bathroomy"!

• walkin_yesindeed
    15 years ago

Reno, chiming in a bit late: the cabs are gorgeous, the kitchen is amazing! Bask in your glory after all that hard work!

• User
    15 years ago

Beautiful, renofan! I love the colour, which looks so friendly and at home in your kitchen!

Our first house had a kitchen with dreary brown generic **wood*** cabinets. We had a painter come in and redo them a soft buttercream yellow to coordinate with the soft yellow tile on the walls---yes, the walls were completely tiled, like a bathroom, and the border tiles at the top were black. The yellow cabinets made my heart sing every morning, and the effect of painting them was to make my St. Louis kitchen look like a Mary Englebreit design. There's just something about that color that is very fun and uplifting all at once!

GREAT JOB, WONDERFUL RESULTS!

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Stunning! Absolutely stunning! As someone who has painted several kitchens of rental houses we used to own, I'm in awe of this. I'm glad you went with your heart. You're going to love working in that kitchen for a long time.

Arlene (whose last kitchen was creamy white with a golden glaze!)

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Just beautiful. You really have a great talent for design, color and moreover the talent to do the job right in a short span of time and obviously without breaking the bank as with using the Lowe's BR floor tiles. How clever and how beautiful.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

So are mine! Behr's Opal Creme and I love it and have gotten compliments on it. But my kitchen is not updated.

Your kitchen is fabulous. I love it. You did a great job with it and you have great taste. It's magazine pretty. Lucky you!

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

Beautiful cabs, beautiful kitchen. Love your chandy's and your backsplash. Warm & inviting. I hope you get to enjoy it for a bit before you are on to your next project.
    I love seeing all the details, thanks for the great pics.

• bananafana
    15 years ago

It looks so great! Really perfect! I can't believe you are done so soon.....it's amazing how you can make stuff happen. You deserve a nice long vacation and many umbrella drinks!

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Sooo, what are you doing tomorrow? LOL! It looks gorgeous, you were right on with the yellow, it's perfect!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

You know, I could be talked into flying you up here if you'll take a day to do my cabinets in the rental...same colors and all. (They're GORGEOUS) Really...what ya doing next week? Heh heh

• bonniee818
    15 years ago

Wow!!!! Your kitchen is so beautiful! Your hard work paid off big time!
    Bonnie

• casajakada
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing this with everyone here. You've inspired me to go for it with my kitchen. Now to just find the time and energy to do it!

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

Reno is there anything you can't do? Your kitchen looks so warm and creamy. Like a yummy yellow custard, very good looking indeed.

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

Perfection. You must be so happy with the result. I thought they were beautiful before, but the new color really does show off all the lovely features much better, and is so much warmer. Also perfect with the floor and countertops. Way to go.

• littledog
    15 years ago

Soft and warm, very nice. You can still make out the white on the toe kick in the first picture, and the contrast is amazing.

• nanjean68
    15 years ago

One more question: Would you share the maker of your gorgeous chandeliers? Your kitchen is so very warm and beautiful.

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

Wowsa!!! I loved your kitchen before, and I love the 'new' one also.

So are you gonna do blue and yellow now? I remember some time ago you talked about wanting to use those colors, but can't remember why you didn't. A blue/yellow toile window treatment would look awesome. ;o)

• juddgirl2
    15 years ago

Very pretty and so much warmer with the tile floors! I so loved your white kitchen, and was doubting your decision to paint the cabinets yellow back when you first posted about the change, but now I've totally changed my mind. I wish I had your instinct!

• jesemy
    15 years ago

Reno,
    Wow, the yellow is gorgeous!

Several years ago you were kind enough to answer some cabinet painting techniqes with me--I know that you painted the kitchen in your old house with a brush and this one with a sprayer when you painted this kitchen the first time. Did you use a sprayer again? If so, what type?

Thanks!
    Nancy

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

great transformation, you had a vision and it was great.

Now relax and enjoy; take a break ( as if you don't have an on-going list, lol)

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Tre magnific !!

Even when I had the energy and motivation, I couldn't accomplish what you have. Another missing element in my projects is DH--he so non-domestic. I am still in wonderment that he changed the light bulb in his closet.

• allison0704
    15 years ago

The cabinets look so much better....and I thought they were fine before.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

It is tru;ly gorgeous! A work of art! Congrats on a job well done and completed in such a short time!

• zipdee
    15 years ago

Reno, I loved your kitchen in white and it's just to die for in yellow! You did a fantastic job, it's truly stunning!

• slateberry
    15 years ago

Lowe's plain 4 x 4 white tiles? REALLY!?! Oh wow, I am so happy--I can have a backsplash I love on the cheap and mo money to play with for other goodies. Thank you thank you thank you!

I am going to show dh right now. Of course, he's going to use the savings towards some fireproof moldproof drywall he's all excited about. I swear, between that and the warmboard ($15/sq.ft.), all his underlayment choices cost more per unit area than my finish material choices. I guess I can laugh about that...after all, it's not a money contest, and he's a dear.

• gigib_08
    15 years ago

Reno fan, I would love to know where you got your valance. I'm having such a time finding a valance for my kitchen. Thanks! LOVE your kitchen!!

• sandra12
    15 years ago

Wow I am speechless!!!!

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

They're fabulous, as you know :)

Honestly, when you first did the blue island, while the various elements of the room room were individually as wonderful as what I've come to expect from your previous oeuvre :), I thought "hm, red, white and blue...not a place I'd go but what can you do with that floor" (it's lovely, but it sure is red). You figured out exactly what to do to resolve the one tiny off note of it and make the elements of the room sing together in beautiful harmony :).

• never_ending
    15 years ago

Reno-

Fabulous job!

Tackling cabinets is a hard "one time" job, but doing it again, and again, and again is someone who loves decorating, knows what she likes and wants; and won't stop until she gets it done!!!

You go girl!!! It's good for the soul! (ours too!)

• justretired
    15 years ago

I thought your white kitchen was lovely but the yellow is fabulous! Great vision on your part to know what you wanted and see it through.

JR

• madeyna
    15 years ago

Its just stunning.I have been checking in here just to see if your kitchen was done yet. I love it and you are truly a inspiration . Now don,t forget to take a break and treat yourself to a mani-pedi or something , I,ve never met someone who deserves it more.

• pecanpie
    15 years ago

Oh.
    My.
    Goodness.

Absolutely perfect. I cannot believe your focus and your energy! What kind of coffee do you drink, sister? I'm having what SHE'S having.

Kitchen is just gorgeous. Great job!

What a lovely home you are making for your family- and how nice to have their (voluntary) help as well.

• reeree_natural
    15 years ago

geezz..I haven't been on here in a l-o-n-g time..what a beautiful kitchen I came back to..wow!!!! Reno, you are amazingly talented..my mouth drops open every time I see one of your projects. ( makes me want to go a head and paint mine)what is the name of the yellow?? I love it!

beautiful kitchen in every way! enjoy it!!
    Ree

• hondagirl
    15 years ago

I just love, love, love your kitchen! Warm, inviting....gorgeous!

I'm keeping your pictures as some inspirational pics, hope you don't mind.

• caligal
    15 years ago

Rolled, brushed, or sprayed? I read the post but couldn't see the technique used. I want to use this same paint and color on my bathroom cabinets. Your kitchen is beautiful!

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I've always admired your lovely white kitchen when at first you remodeled it, but I must say your instincts where right on and this flows much better with your floors. Simply stunning. Where do you get your energy?

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

Wow. Wow. Wow!!
    This look amazing. I absolutely LOVE your new kitchen, Reno. I liked the white fine too, but this is stunning. Seriously. Do you just stand in there every morning with a giant smile on your face?? I surely would. In fact, I'd never leave that room!! :o) he, he
    Great job. Love it. Now I wish I had done a yellow/blue kitchen. :o)

• billwags325
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous! Did you mention what granite you have? I would love to know:)

• Boopadaboo
    15 years ago

This it up there in my top 5 kitchens! Gorgeous. I have always loved yellow painted cabinets. Your energy and dedication to completing projects is daunting!

• chicoryflower
    15 years ago

Reno, that's just the thing. It's really beautiful.

• haley_comet
    15 years ago

Absolutely Stunning!

High five for all your hard work.

• reno_fan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys! What a surprise to see thread pop up again. The kind words are quite a boost right now, I tell ya. Thank you!

avignon, the granite is butterfly green. Hope that helps. :)

• txgal06
    15 years ago

Beautiful. I still have to glaze mine (I'm chicken since the house is only 1.5 years old) which are painted with SW Pro Classic. I assume you glazed after the paint was dry? I've heard of gal that like to glaze while the paint is still tacky but I can't see that working?

• levelyn42
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, great job on all the painting. All of your decorating finishes it off perfect.
    Evelyn