SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

Old House Lovers Only Please...

rosemaryt
11 years ago

As y'all know, I love old houses and have spent a lifetime studying them, researching them, writing about them and even thinking about them.

Recently, I did a blog titled, "A brief social history of early 20th Century America as seen through porches."

And the question is, did the way we build houses change society's ideas about porches and privacy at home, or did society change their ideas about privacy at home, which caused the changes in way we design and build houses?

And if anyone has any memories to share about porches, I'd love to hear them.

In the 1890s and early 1900s, we put our porches on the front of the house so people could easily visit with us and "sit a spell."

Here's a picture of my great Aunt Addie playing poker with a friend on the front porch of the home pictured above. It was Addie's home.

By the 1920s, we moved our porches over to the side of the house. We'd still talk to visitors, but we cherished our privacy. The idea of an "an oasis at home" was taking root.

By the middle of the century, porches had moved to the back of the house. At the end of the day, we wanted to be left alone in the privacy of our back yard. Visitors couldn't even see us from the street.

Porches were on the back of the house from the 1950s and on.

Pretty interesting, isn't it?

:)

Here is a link that might be useful: More on porches (and more pics)

Comments (43)