SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwlolo

How to throw a GREAT party

gwlolo
11 years ago

As people are just coming out of the holiday season and the memories of parties are still fresh, this seemed to be a good time to pose this question. Hopefully yen for simpler food and/or leftovers in the fridge will give time for sharing details.

a) What makes it a GREAT party as opposed to just a good party? Can you actually plan a GREAT party or does it just happen? The OCD in me is convinced that there is more than serendipity at play here.

b) Do just appetizers and drinks party work? Or should I always plan some main courses

c) What homework do you do? How far ahead?

d) FOOD - How do you decide what to cook and how much. Is there a formula like '2 appetizers + 1 entree + 2 desserts per person usually works well'.

e) What else besides food. I am most curious about this. Do you get the housecleaners before the party or after. DH and I differ on this. Is there a checklist (please tell me there is!)

f) How do you divide and conquer - What are the roles and tasks and how best to divvy them up between the chef, the supportive significant other, the 'reasonably-obedient-but-don't-push-your-luck' kid. I find that I have often have it all in my head and find it hard to delegate and instead try to do it all on my own. Parties make me tired! I think I will have more success with delegation if I can have some structure and logic to it and of course do it before.. much much before. We have had too many lemon runs (how many lemons can one zest - I think not enough but DH thinks too many.)

g) What do you do with kids. I like mine and tolerate and even enjoy others' but they do run a lot and get in the way in parties. Is there a clever way to corral them while also getting them to enjoy the party?

h) When you do sit down meals, do you serve it family style or do you actually plate courses, change plates etc. Do you recruit servers or is there an elegant way to do this yourself as the hostess.

i) Do you actually plan entertainment?
How do you mingle and have a nice time and not worry about the appetizers or drinks

j) Libations - So far, this has been DH's department and his strategy has not varied from multiple choice test days. So we dafault to ALL OF THE ABOVE and have all kinds of liquid sustenance in the fridge for a month afterwards. Orange Soda nestled next to IPA bottles and perrier for the I-am-on-a-XX-diet crowd. How do you do cocktails - does this need a bar person? Are some cocktails more amenable to make-ahead-and-serve?

Confession: With any parties, I immediately dive into menu planning and cooking, and a lot of other things are very last minute as in I yell at DH and kids to get the party plates from high shelf and check the toilet paper as I rushing towards the shower 5 mins before guests are due to arrive. We have been known to throw impromptu parties to just get the fridge cleared (after all we already have most of the food and a TON of drinks). In 2013, my resolution is to learn to things well as opposed to trying new things, so this is in that vein. I love to entertain and that is one of the things I most missed during our long remodel and the thing I most look forward to once the kitchen is done. DH contiues to gently correct/remind me that it is when the house is done, but I digress :)

I look forward to reading about your parties.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor