SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gina_w_gw

What's For Dinner - #277

Gina_W
15 years ago

Okay Y'all - NEW RULES!!!

From now, we're going to limit the What's For Dinner thread to 50 posts. That way, we can keep posting mouth-watering food pictures, but make the thread easier to download and faster to read.

Got it? Good! Let the pictures resume!

I posted the other night's dinner in the Jalapenos thread - go have a look see - it was great.

The other day I made a new recipe that was a very tasty sidedish:

Garlicky Chickpeas with Spinach

Ingredients:

1 can drained/rinsed garbanzos

1 cup frozen spinach

1 cup stewed crushed, Italian-style pomodoro tomatoes

2 large cloves garlic, minced

Crumbled feta cheese

1 T Butter

Heat butter until just turning brown.

Add frozen spinach and stir until soft and excess moisture evaporated.

Add tomatoes and garlic. Stir to combine and cook garlic until soft but not browned.

Add beans, stir to combine.

Cook until heated through.

Serve with crumbled cheese atop.

Try it - it can't get much easier and it's nutritious to boot. And tastes way better than it looks here - although in person it looks better with the fresh green and red colors.

Comments (50)

• arabellamiller
    15 years ago

Oooooh, that looks good Gina. I might even add in some grilled eggplant, because I'm on an eggplant kick and I like the combination of eggplant and chick peas. And feta, well, feta helps everything!

Last night we had McDonald's since Radish and his bike had a little run in with the pavement. 7 stitches and major road rash.

Today some friends are coming over - we may either order in or go to a local place.

AM
    The Dinner Chronicles

• Gina_W
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Notice I used canned beans and frozen spinach, LOL. I don't mind convenience foods as long as they're not processed too much.

• Related Discussions

LX277 JD mower deck

Q

Comments (1)
    There shouldn't be pressure on the knob when it is turning. Obviously, the deck would need to be raised all the way in order to work. I've not had one that didn't work as designed, though if I did, the first place I would look is at the cam and work my way back to why there is pressure on the cam from the lift arm. It may be useful to remove the tractor body.
    ...See More

John Deer LX277 engine stalls

Q

Comments (1)
    The problem with the fuel is likely due to varnish that has formed in the carburetor bowl. Ignore an empty "looking" fuel filter, it does not indicate a problem (except if the tank is empty, then it means the tank is empty). Don't bother changing the spark plugs either. If they were new (or almost) last fall, they're still good. Spark plugs do not get "moldy" from sitting. Since you are able to get the engine started, you can try adding Seafoam fuel treatment to the fuel and running the engine long enough to allow the Seafoam to begin cleaning out the varnish. You could speed up the cleaning process by taking the carb bowl off and cleaning the jets with spray carb cleaner. Even if you do that, you still need the Seafoam added to the fuel. Also, be sure the fuel tank cap vent is not clogged. **** When I went to start it, battery was dead. I had it recharged successfully***** Successfully??? That may not be true. It is very common for a battery that has been dead for some time, to be "recharged" and subsequently suffer total failure or very reduced capacity. You may think the battery came back to life, and it may show 12 or more volts immediately after being charged, but that voltage proves nothing about the available power the battery has (or doesn't have). The true measure of a battery is the load test. Have the battery load tested by an auto parts store or a good auto shop. It is also possible that your charging system is not working at full output. I doubt the stalling and slow RPM are related to the electrical system UNLESS........the engine uses "battery and coil" ignition. Tell us what engine your tractor has, and post the engine model and type numbers, or model and spec numbers, whichever apply to your particular engine.
    ...See More

Need advice leveling 48C deck on Deere LX277

Q

Comments (5)
    I don't think the blade orientation makes a difference, this is not a timed deck. The JD gauge works good for me, measure front and back on the right and left blades, turning the blade to use the same point as you go front to back. Level side to side, 1/8" or less front to back, lower in the front. To check if the center blade is different, check it with the gauge after you set the deck with the end blades. You can also check with the deck off using a straight edge across all 3 blades and matching up the blade tips at the overlap points. Are you sure you got the gators fully seated on the hub of the spindle shaft and not sitting on the wrong surface?
    ...See More

277v with 120v fixtures

Q

Comments (29)
    "Would a 120v 60w bulb draw more current than a 277v 30w bulb?" Yes it will draw more current. It is using 60 watts of power while the 277 volt light bulb is using 30 watts of power. Using a 277 volt/30 watt light bulb on 120 volts will not produce the equivalent light output of a 60 watt light bulb - it will barely be illuminated. It appears that you may be a little confused about your understanding of voltage, current, resistance, and resulting wattage, which is a measurement of power, but also used as the "standard" for the light output of an incandescent light bulb. And no, that was not meant in a condescending way. Google around for some basic explanations and math formulas about calculating current and wattage in DC circuits (I'm suggesting DC for ease of clarification) to help understand your question regarding the light bulbs. Also, my reply only addresses the actual light bulbs and not lamp socket ratings and code issues. :)
    ...See More
  • kathleen_li
    15 years ago

I haven't posted pics since July 11th, but I have been admiring all the wonderful canning, cakes, black and white cookies, and all the pics have been wonderful..

Annie, what do you use garlic scrapes for? I have never seen them around here???

Blueberry pie..

So now I am all caught up...

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

I surprised myself tonight when I downloaded tonight's dinner pic. We made wings over the weekend but I forgot to post my pic.

So here we go.... Tropical Wings. They were brined then grilled over charcoal. Then sauced with a hot orange pineapple sauce that we make. The potato salad is Twice Baked Potato Salad.

Monday night and Tuesday night we just had homemade subs...ham, turkey, bacon, cheeses, lettuce, tomatoes.

Tonight I made an easy favorite, Stir fried Shrimp, sugar snap peas and Thai BBQ Sauce, all over rice.

I'm going to have to cook more over the next couple of weeks. I having my DM discharged from the nursing home on Sunday and bringing her to my house for a couple of weeks. She's really been doing well, walking a lot, which is helping her in many ways. Her broken shoulder is mending and not as painful and her appetite has returned. I'm hopeful that she will be able to return to her apartment after she's been here. She could probably return now, but I want to see her stronger and I think this will be good for her. My DM is very excited to be 'sprung' from the home... :)) I think she really thought she might never leave the place. But I knew she could do it....

Nancy

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Nancy, that's great news about your mom..you are a fine dau! And she will be fed like royalty for sure!

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Nancy, that IS great news about your Mom, enjoy your time with her. And whatever happened with your meeting with your boss?

Kathleen, I use garlic scapes just like I use garlic, I just chop it up and toss it in where I need garlic. It's also good chopped and used on baked potatoes instead of chives, or sprinkled on foccaccia bread.

Where do I start? I've been canning, first Chase's Dills:

Then, I canned Dilled Beans. 6 pints are just dill for Ashley but a pint got a couple of jalapenos, for Elery. he loves hot peppers.

I tried a new recipe for potato salad which includes fresh chopped spinach, hard boiled eggs and crumbled bacon, with a dressing of balsamic vinegar, maple syrup and dijon mustard. The recipe says to grill the potatoes but by the time they were done in the middle the outsides were too hard (and too charred!) to eat and I ended up peeling the darned things anyway. Other than that, it was a good recipe, especially good warm and I'll make it again. It came from my latest copy of "Living the Country Life", a free "farm" publication:

I made peach cobbler and some homemade basil noodles that I tossed in butter and a bit of parmesan. They took a cup and a quarter of my fresh basil and I can't tell that I even touched that plant, LOL:

{{gwi:1538125}}

{{gwi:1501081}}

I baked maple oatmeal bread and Elery made stuffed artichokes:

{{gwi:1538132}}

I know I made more waffles for the Monkey Princess and I had Raisin Bran two nights and PBJ one night, no pictures, LOL. I've cooked beets, green beans, fresh corn on the cob, that's been lunch for the past couple of weeks. Add the eggs and you've pretty much gotten all my meals!

Annie

• arabellamiller
    15 years ago

Great news about your mom Nancy! I'm sure you're relieved, and she's thrilled. Those times can be so scary.

Annie, everything you posted looks great, but that peach cobbler has me drooling!

Friends took pity on us being house bound and came over last night with a pizza. The kids had plain and the grownups had pineapple and mushroom. Not my fave (I would have added onion), but good.

I also made an eggplant dip and a salad.

AM
    The Dinner Chronicles

• Marigene
    15 years ago

Gina, thanks for posting the recipe for the garlicky chickpeas/spinach. I know Howard would like them, so will give it a shot.

Kathleen, what striking place settings! Love the pink/green (and pink is my least favorite color), but the blue and white are my favorite. You sure have been busy cooking, all looks so good.

Happy to hear your mom is doing so well, Nancy. She will certainly eat well and will probably want to stay longer than two weeks!

Last night we had gazpacho, chicken quesadillas with some of Annie's salsa.

• User
    15 years ago

Gina thanks for the recipe, Clive would love that.
    Kathleen your settings are always so nice. Have you ever fessed up to the number of dishes you own! LOL
    Nancy, great news about your Mom!
    Annie, I haven't even thought about dills yet, better get my act together!

Down from the cottage for a short turnaround. Meredith cam home from Halifax last night and I wanted to be here for her....she was in and back out in 10 minutes! LOL

I'll stay in the city tonight to feed them ( her BF is with her) and then head back up to the cottage tomorrow AM.

Tonight will be ribs, fresh sweet corn, field tomatoes and potato salad....I love summer!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    15 years ago

Gina, I never learned to like chick peas, but you're persuading me to try again. I love spinach and that combo sounds really good.

AM, I did what Radish did except it was on my leg and it was down a wooden picket fence. Seems like it got my face too. Rough and tumble will do that to you. I survived! He will too with loads of your TLC (and Mickey D's).

Kathleen, I'm bummed. You made such beautiful settings and Lou isn't here to see them. I like them! Can I come live at your house? Your meals look so cheery and tasty.

Nancy, good looking wings (love those dark crunchy bits, mmmm). I've only had potato salad once this summer. Twice baked sounds really good. I'll go look to see if you've posted the recipe. You'll fix your mommy right up with your cooking.

Annie, I envy your canning ability. I don't know if I can can (just had to say that!), but even if I did try, I'd never live up you. Wow. How's being a newlywed going (or should I say glowing?)? What great sounding potato salad. Another recipe I'd love to have.

marigene, I love quesadillas, so easy and taste great. I bet Annie's salsa made them even better. What a fantastic sounding summery meal.

Chase, you sound like life is getting back to great for you (Sara's looking good!) and ribs just sound like a good way to go right now. Summer is winding down. I heard geese honking, looked up and noticed they were headed south. Phooey!

I haven't been cooking at all. I made a pot of spaghetti the other night, but eating out or letting everyone fend for themselves. I'm very caught up at work, done registering for my fall classes, funded for them, and done all the work on the house that can be done. Time to pick up the whisk, spatula, and knives again. Goes in spurts. So far, I'm inspired to knock off hubby's socks with chocolate chip cookies and make myself potato salad. You know, I've never made potato salad. There are so many great potato salad chefs in my family, I've never needed to.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Oh AM, poor Radish. He can sit next to Makayla with her broken arm. And how is your poison ivy, better?

Rob, the potato salad was especially good warm and when just made, but next time I make it I'll just bake the potatoes or cook them some other way, no more grilled the blasted things. Here's the recipe:

Grilled potato salad

6 medium Yukon gold potatoes (about 2 pounds)
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1 tablespoon snipped fresh sage
    1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
    1 teaspoon maple syrup
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    2 cups fresh baby spinach
    4 slices bacon, crisp-cooked, drained, and crumbled
    2 hard-cooked eggs, coarsely chopped
    1/4 cup finely chopped red onion

1. Scrub potatoes thoroughly with a brush; pat dry. Prick potatoes with a fork. Rub potatoes with the 1 tablespoon olive oil.
      2. For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around edge of grill. Test for medium heat above center of grill. Place potatoes on grill rack over center of grill. Cover; grill for 50 to 60 minutes or until potatoes are tender. [For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Grill as above.]
      3. Meanwhile, for vinaigrette, in a screw-top jar, combine vinegar, the 1/3 cup olive oil, sage, mustard, maple syrup, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cover and shake well. Set aside.
      4. When potatoes are done, remove from grill and cool slightly. Coarsely chop potatoes. Transfer potatoes to an extra large bowl. Stir in spinach, bacon, eggs, and red onion. Gently stir in vinaigrette until combined. Makes 8 side-dish servings.

Nutrition facts per serving: 221 calories, 14 g total fat (3 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 209 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrates, 2 g dietary fiber, 5 g protein.
    Daily values: 12% vitamin A, 27% vitamin C, 3% calcium, 10% iron.

As for canning, I try to stay out of the grocery store as much as possible, LOL, so I preserve my entire garden, or at least anything that isn't eaten fresh. I just like it, it's my "hobby". (grin) Still, give it a try, something like pickles or jam are easy and safe. Be careful, though, you might get hooked!

Annie

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Gina your chickpea dish looks delish and easy. Thanks for sharing. Arabella I'm sorry to hear of the bike accident. I hope all is well now. Kathleen your pics. are wonderful - great looking food and table settings. Wizard I just made myself wings the other night too but not tropical. I bet those were good and well as the shrimp dish. Annie, well I see you are keeping busy! The pickles, beans, cobbler, bread, etc. all look wonderful. Great job. I love Yukon Gold potatoes. I bet that potato salad was good.

Tonight I have decided to make myself a Cheesesteak Sub w/sauted onions, mushrooms and peppers. Mine will be with Provolone cheese not cheez whiz. Homemade fries, sliced tomatoes and a pickle. I've just got a craving for them and I'm on my own this week so that's the plan.

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Gina your chickpea dish looks so good and is very similar to a summer dish I learned to make in Mallorca. It also uses chickpeas, tomato and garlic but has added chopped red and green bell peppers, hard cooked egg, onion, olive oil and a little of the liquid from the chickpeas. Just so good on a hot day. It was a favourite take to the beach recipe.
    Actually we took the ingredients separately and put them together on location.

AM so sorry to hear about poor Radish and his fall. He looked pretty down in the dumps in your blog photo.

Kathleen you always have such pretty table settings and good looking food!

Nancy it's good to hear your mother will be released and in your care.....and enjoying your cooking!

Annie....what a bounty!

I've hardly made anything interesting to eat as I've had a bit of stomach flu and in this heat we are eating light. The other day we went to a little Spanish home cooking bar/cafe where they specialize in soups and tapas.
    We both chose their Rancho Canario which is a filling soup of pasta, pork and vegetables. We should have known better as it was very filling. But the meatball tapas and Russian potato salad that we had for seconds were so good that when we couldn't finish them.....we asked for a take home package and finished them off in the evening.

The decor of the place was homey with sketches of early Canary costumes from the different islands, pottery and brightly coloured walls.

Today I had to go downtown twice for errands so picked up some German meat pies for lunch which we had with peas and potatoes.

Am spending the days clearing out closets of old stuff from one of my daughters. I realized that it's been sitting in there for nearly 15 years! Will give some things away and send her the rest. No wonder we're always short of closet space.
    Have travel tickets in hand and am dusting off the suitcases now. It will be nice to see Canada again.

Costumes of Fuerteventura.......Albondigas & ensaladilla

Here comes Friday again!

SharonCb

• User
    15 years ago

Nancy, great news about your Mom. A couple of weeks at your house, being spoiled by your meals is probably all she needs.

Gina, those chick peas look delicious. Definitely something both Moe and I would like.

Arabella, hope your little guy is healing.

Kathleen, missed your photos. Everything looks wonderful, and although everything you cooked is something I would eat, it is the corn that I'm craving. Can't wait until local corn is available.

Sharon, you must be thrilled to have Meredith home.

SharonCB, make sure you pack a little "warmth" to bring with you. The last few days we have been having cooler weather. I don't think it made it into the 60's yesterday. Not my idea of summer.

When I got home from work Wednesday night I stuck a small chicken in the oven and while it was roasting, cut up potatoes for fries and gave them a short soak in cold water. Double fried them and served with hot chicken sandwiches. And of course the traditional canned peas.

Thursday morning I put a pot of chili on to simmer. Moe took the pot off the stove a few hours later when the meat was tender. Made another salsa and homemade flour tortillas to serve with it.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Oh boy, Ann, do you want some of my eather. It's supposed to be sunny and in the 90s all weekend. I hate summer time, and I doubt that I'll cook anything at all, I'll invite Amanda and the kids over and we'll eat cold sandwiches and swim in the pool.

Elery will be here tonight, both he and I took a week's vacation time for next week. We plan to do nothing at all, but we might get some cooking in there, LOL.

Annie

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Annie, hope you have a wonderful doing nothing vacation. No stress in making plans, just do as you please!
    I will ask at the farm about the garlic scrapes...hope they don't think I am crazy. I will bring the pic with me!!

Ann, a cool day would be nice. The a/c hasn't been off since June. A nice cool day would be good to tackle some chores that it is too hot to do! Yes, our local corn is in, but I hate to talk about corn. I am forever scarred!

CB, hope you have a wonderful trip to Canada. And I know I left things in my mom's house for sooo many years after I was married. She would always ask when we were taking our things! lol..

Rob, I wonder about Lou. I hope he is doing ok. But I am glad YOU like to see the settings, LOL..

AM, I hope your little guy is doing better and your poison ivy is better. I have had that bad many times. The derm. doc got tired of treating me. One time I had huge blisters in between every finger..couldn't write, and I had to go back teaching the start of school covered with it!! eeewww

BTW, yesterday in SAMS they had frozen sweet potato fries for the first time. Couldn't resist, and really they were very good. Baked them and sprinkled with a bit of sugar...better than any I ever made!

Dinner..chicken cutlets with salad of all local produce, warm pitas and corn..good for a hot summer day dinner..

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

That chicken and gravy look so good Ann, as does the chili. Time I made some chili as it's a dish we like to heat up the next day too.
    Yes I hear it's a little cooler over on the island this summer. I don't like to have to pack heavy clothes but will put in a couple of sweaters and a shower jacket. (If it's really chilly that's a good reason to buy something new over there.)

Annie I hope you have a relaxing holiday! Cold sandwiches by the pool sounds like an ideal way to eat and relax.

Kathleen your dinner and corn look delicious. I'm looking forward to some real corn on the cob when I get over to Canada.

Today was a Pilates and grocery shopping morning so it was late when I started lunch. I have to say that I'm getting hooked on these German frozen fish fillets which come with their own topping and sauce. I prefer frozen fish these days as we know it hasn't been sitting around in this hot weather as does the fresh fish in the market. The one today was coated with a New Orleans style Bordelaise sauce....buttery with garlic and parsley and really good. Thirty-five minutes baking in the toaster oven along with some oven chips while I prepared carrots and brussels sprouts. Everything tasted so good as we were both hungry today.

Have a good weekend everyone!
    We're supposed to be getting high winds this weekend but it hasn't happened yet.

SharonCb

• User
    15 years ago

Oh Kathleen, there is that corn again. Yum! When corn is available around here Moe and I will make a meal of just corn. Nothing else.

Sharon, that fish almost looks like Halibut. Bet you are looking forward to having fresh halibut when you are back on the Island.

Dinner tonight was breaded pork tenderloin, braised cabbage, fried potatoes and snow peas and tomatoes out of our garden. And dessert was fresh peaches topped with whipped cream.

• arlinek
    15 years ago

To Kathleen Li: Your food looks wonderful and I LOVE that tablescape with the starfish - beautiful - all of them are lovely, in fact. Could you please share your recipe for those onion rings? I'd love to have a batter like that!

arline

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

Rob you could use kidney or canellini beans for gina's dish. I often make this kind of dish--beans and greens, because it is healthy and dead easy and yummy--if you like greens, which I do.

Kathleen that blueberry pie crust looks delicious and VERY snazzy!! Just when I think I'm the cat's meow because I can do a simple woven crust . . . How on earth did you do that technique?

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Ann, that pork looks so good, perfectly browned!
    You sound like my sister. When she comes to Long Island for a visit she says she wants fresh corn for dinner, JUST CORN!
    I have to say the corn I got at the market for 10 cents, supposedly local , was every bit as good as the ones from the farm at .65!
    I was hoping for a nice green bean and pea crop, but the deer took care of those...I had sprayed, but not since they had fruit, so they had my plants for dinner. Very annoying. Why don't they eat weeds, they're green?

Tonight we had country style ribs, homemade cole slaw and sweet potato fries.....

Last night we had Ann's fave corn, and burgers. I used these new sandwich thins rolls from Arnold...100 calories, 1 pt for those on WW, and most important, tasty! Some cherry toms that eluded the deer skewered for dh too..

Lpink, the crust is done with a tool called a lattice cutter. One of the gals, Mary or Monique? got us started with the caged pears. And so I figured I would try it with pie crust. Monique's pears looked much better!

Arline, dh made those onion rings, I know he put beer in the batter and I know he DIDN't use a recipe...he never does..
    This one from Cooks.com looks pretty close..

BEER BATTER ONION RINGS

1 lg. onion
    2/3 c. beer (or milk)
    1/2 c. flour
    3/4 tsp. baking powder
    1/4 tsp. salt

Mix together. Dip onions in batter.

Sharon, that sounds like a good plan. Buy yourself something new when you go home!

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

Annie I'd like your potato salad recipe. I think my mom would really like it and I want to make it for her when I visit her sometime. I think you could parboil the potatoes maybe? I almost always do when I'm frying or grilling them--years of eating raw potato innards have brought me to this point. I'm wondering if I could use roasted potatoes?

• annie1992
    15 years ago

L, that potato salad was really good, I think I like it because of the maple syrup. I posted it a couple of posts above. I think roasted potatoes would be really good, baked would probably be good too. Either, I think, would be better than boiled, they need to be firm enough to toss with the dressing, but still done.

tonight the kids were over, I bought Makayla a cast cover that Sillymesillyne directed me to and it works great so we went into the pool. Thank you so much, Silly!

We had fresh green beans from the garden, some local corn on cob, burgers and chili dogs, tortilla chips and tiramisu. Kind of an odd conglomeration of food but it was what I had on hand, LOL.

Tomorrow Elery and I are going to can our first batch of pink half runner beans. Apparently they are a big southern thing, I'm withholding judgment until I eat one myself. (grin)

Annie

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

Oh geez Annie, I can't belive I missed it! But I'll tell you what, I always scroll through the text to get to the pictures. And then the pictures get me all distracted!!

Kathleen I had forgotten about that "to die for" little pear tart! Someday I'll get to make it . . . maybe. A gal can hope.

• User
    15 years ago

Annie, enjoy your time off with Elery.

Kathleen, I love that little pear too. So pretty.

We had Greek Roasted Lamb last night. I put the small roast in the oven before going to work yesterday. Just had to add the potatoes and cook the vegetables after I got home.

• obxgina
    15 years ago

Annie, are those pink half runner beans kind of blothcy pinkish red and green? I have seen them all over down here in Eastern NC. I've lived here for 11 years and this is the first year I've noticed them. I've been too embarrassed to ask what they are! I'm curious how they taste! Thank you for clearing that up for me! Gina

• bunnyman
    15 years ago

I've got to make a hot sandwich after looking at Ann's chicken. I'm out of tomatoes waiting for the garden to produce so no chili to go with it.

Last night was pickles, cold bacon, and deep fried rib-eye. About to try a squash out of the garden. Didn't plant it so I don't know what kind it is but it has several fruit that look ready. Deer missed a few peas but so far none have made it out of the garden... sort of a pick and eat situation.

I love being laid-off! It would be so nice if I could just stay home like this. Word at the bar is I'm going back next week. Others already got called back. Made certain that work knows I'm happy so they don't rush to call me back. I was told my supervisor is going to put me in my place when I get back. Alas, very much the normal routine of my job. So it is I love being laid-off.

: )
    lyra

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

The breaded pork tenderloin looks lovely Ann, as does the lamb, especially the gravy.

Kathleen your table settings are so attractive. I also like the little pastry lattice on the pear.

Annie let us know how the beans turn out!

On Saturday our favourite Austrian restaurant reopened after their two month summer holidays.
    Simple home cooked food at a very reasonable price so we went there for our Saturday dinner.
    Wolf had breaded hake with German potato salad and I had grilled chicken breast with salad. Weather is quite warm and humid.

Today was Sunday and as it's still hot I gathered some of our basil from the garden and made egg noodles with pesto, peas and bacon together with a mixed salad.

After clearing out another closet and sorting clothes this morning I was hot and tired and really needed the afternoon siesta after lunch today. We never did get that wind storm on this side of the island but I hear the windsurfing has been pretty wild over on the east coast of Tenerife.

SharonCb

• jimtex
    15 years ago

You guys always prepare such amazing meals that I'm embarrassed to talk about what I eat. I had shake and bake chicken thighs and boiled potatoes with cheddar cheese tonight. BUT tomorrow will be different. I have some pork tenderloin that has been marinating since yesterday and I made hummus and tzatziki today. I've got pita bread and all the fixings for a quasi greek meal tomorrow. I'm going to have my folks over and I know dam well they have never had anything like this. It should be fun cooking for someone else again and I think they will like it.

• arabellamiller
    15 years ago

I love hummus and tzatziki! I can't wait to see your greek meal.

Thanks everyone for the kind words about Radish and my poison ivy. My itch is ALMOST, but not quite gone. I'm completely paranoid everytime I go out. D has it too, but not quite as bad as I did. I got him a prescription cortisone cream that seems to help.

Kathleen, sweet potato fries are my absolute favorite. A restaurant we used to frequent served them as shoestrings with a maple dipping sauce that was awesome.

Tonight we had scrod, eggplant and couscous. The scrod was a hit, not so much for the eggplant.

AM
    The Dinner Chronicles

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Jim tell us what you are using as a marinade for your pork tenderloin....are you roasting it whole or slicing it?
    I'm sure your family will be impressed.
    Hummus mmmm..that's something I love and haven't made for a while.

Am your fish dinner looks so good. We could eat fish every day here!

Today I cooked up some small lean pork chops with onion and garlic for our dinner. We had them with a steamed vegetable medley of potatoes, carrots, yellow sweet yam, squash and brussels sprouts.

There was a nice breeze today in the back garden where we had our patio lunch.

SharonCb

• Gina_W
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Friends of mine got bad cases of poison oak last year - from their dogs. The dogs had it on their fur, and, well, you know - ouch! West of the Rockies we have poison oak, not poison ivy.

I have not had much time to cook, alas. Work plus Pilates x 3 and Ping Pong x 3 per week make for a tired girl, then there's laundry (did you know when you do exercise and sports, there's extra laundry?! What a pi$$er), dog walking, and etc. Feeling sorry for me yet? No? Mmkay, just checking... LOL.

I think the last stuff I cooked were Joe's Corn Custard with roasted jalapenos (delicious!), and Annie's gram's blueberry crisp (ditto!). I guess that's not so bad for no time :-)

I'm planning on having a cheese omelet and small salad for dinner tonight. I still have some blueberries - maybe I'll warm them up and make a sauce for ICE CREAM!!!!!

Is ice cream in the "processed foods" category? Am I going to hell for that? Heh-heh...

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Everything looks great! Hubby is home from his business trip so I am back to cooking a little more. Tonight was Porterhouse steaks on the grill, PW's smashed potatoes which were pretty good but not easy to make look pretty and Greek salad.

• arabellamiller
    15 years ago

that greek salad is making me seriously hungry.

Gina, I'm jealous of your exercising. This summer has been tough for me since all 3 kids are home. I can't even get 5 minutes into a DVD before someone is annoying me. My 10 year old is a formidable tennis opponent (I suck), but again, the most I can squeeze out is 15 minutes before Lulu needs to go potty or someone is crying about something.

Anyway, dinner last night was chicken stir fry over noodles. It was just kind of OK.

AM
    The Dinner Chronicles

• arabellamiller
    15 years ago

Here's tonight:

Falafel with eggplant, cukes, tomato, hummus and another sauce.

I ate too many and now I feel like I have bricks in my belly.

AM
    The Dinner Chronicles

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Some really wonderful looking and sounding meals everyone!
    Last night we had Mock Pulled Pork.
    Home grown smoked ham, was rubbed and set over night in a ziploc..taken out and crock potted with no extra liquid til it released the bones and was easy to break apart..
    Turned off, and left for football...oh put a batch of Honey Wheat rolls in the bread machine to serve it on..
    Left practice about 15 minutes before it was over, took the roll dough out of the fridge, formed it and let it rise..could have used another 15-20 minutes..but oh well..
    chopped up some of the pork/ham and simmered it in a make shift NC Vinegar sauce. Sliced up the last two small cabbages from the garden and some carrots..and made a slaw..
    Banana muffins were for dessert or popsicles.

Tonight is Pinto Beans in the crock pot with the bones from the ham and some of it's meat hunks..Corn bread muffins and biscuits and more of the slaw.

I've been keeping meals simple around here lately.

oh dessert is in the KA Ice Cream Bowl. Coconut Chocolate Ice cream.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

What a hoot! I come on here to post about chickpeas and Gina and AM beat me to it! LOL!

Tonight I made myself some falafel....from scratch even! I used those cooked chickpeas and a new recipe. Oh my! Really good - but now I'm full. Had a cucumber salad and fresh tomatoes with the falafel. Sorry - no pics - I was too worried about burning myself to get out the camera. I've used the boxed carp before, but "nevermore."

Sunday I fixed my first baby back ribs, 2 slabs even. I used Alton Brown's recipe on Food TV site and it is indeed a winner. Served the ribs with squash casserole, fresh tomatoes, cucumber salad, Mexican corn muffins, and Lemon Ice Box Pie from P. Allen Smith's site! Mom, Dad, DS#1 and I had a feast.

Off to the mountains tomorrow for a long weekend - where it is supposed to be much cooler than the 94 we had today. Not expected to get over 77 up there on the mountain! Woo Hoo!

Teresa

• Marigene
    15 years ago

Wow! Miss a few days and everyone posts!

Annie, you sure were busy last week! The pickles look really good.

Rob, how did your potato salad turn out?

Sharon, your meals are always the highlight of the thread for me.

Ann, that hot chicken sandwich and breaded pork tenderloin are makking me salivate, even though I have already had dinner.

Kathleen, love the yellow and black place setting. I'll take the burger any day over the bones! LOL Very nice looking caged pear. I still haven't tried them...one of these days.

Dixie, bet that steak dinner hit the spot. Love the smashed potatoes.

AM, love falafel, haven't had any in ages.

Have done lots of baking the past couple days; regular white bread, mini baguettes, oatmeal/raisin/walnut cookies, a couple loaves of banana nut bread, a zweiback pie (Howard loves them, yuck!) and chocolate/chili pots de creme. Shouldn't have to have the oven going the rest of the week!

Dinner tonight was crabcakes with mustard lime sauce and fresh vegetables.

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Marigene, I didn't have to look for your name, I knew it was yours! Everything looks so good, I can almost smell the bread and cookies!

Have a good vacation, Teresa..

Brick in your belly, LOL AM
    Sharon those skillet pork chops look very tasty..

Ann, the lamb looks delicious, moist and tender I bet..

No pics, Terri?

Dixie, dinner looks great!

Gina, oak, ivy..in the end it itches, esp if you sit in it! :)

A little virtual Garden Party from GB I thought I would share...

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Party

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Good looking food everyone. I would love one of Marigene's crabcakes...I don't remember the last time I had one.
    Not so easy to find crab here though.

Kathleen you have a beautiful house, garden and lawn. I love those hydrangeas. I can't seem to grow them in my garden although I've seen them in other gardens here. Something to do with our soil ph I think.

Yesterday I really steamed ahead sorting out closets and travel clothes. I like to wash everything that's been hanging up before packing even though they were clean when hung in the closet. I realize that I have an obsession with saving plastic bags large and small. I've found more bags in the closet with nothing more inside than other folded plastic bags! And Christmas wrapping paper and bows! Glad I'm nearly finished!

So we took a drive to the recycle place and stopped afterward at one of our restaurant haunts....the one facing the Botanical Gardens. Hot day so we sat in a breezy corner under a parasol and I relaxed with a glass of red wine, a large salad which contained white asparagus, apple, avocado, cucumber, lettuce and good juicy tomatoes, together with a dish of sizzling garlic prawns.....very garlicky with hot red pepper slices. Wolf had his standard ham omelette with salad. He's so easy to please!

I had a great Skype video conference with my family in Canada last night with one daughter and two grandkids visiting my brother's house. He has a computer/TV/webcam next to his kitchen sink and so I was able to talk to them and watch them have lunch just as though I was sitting there. (Funny feeling to have that view though....I felt I was a head sitting on the countertop!) When I asked my 13 yr old grandson about his favourite food he answered "lobster". Wow...you can tell he's been helping his dad in their restaurant over the summer!

He showed me how he likes his hot dog....wrapped in a cheese slice, doused in ketchup and without a bun LOL!
    Webcams are such fun!

SharonCb

• User
    15 years ago

Teresa, wow you really did have a feast.

Marigene, gorgeous pictures. I'd love one of your crab cakes. Looks like it is chock full of crab too.

Sharon, does your Son in law own a restaurant in Sidney? Which one?

I made pirogies for dinner on Monday night.

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Ann, those pierrogi look wonderful. It has been so long since I had home made...they are making my mouth water...
    My mil always made them, she was Ukrainian,,,do you serve yours with sour cream??

• User
    15 years ago

I sure do Kathleen, If you look closely you can see a little sour cream on the left side of the plate.

I really like to serve them with side pork too rather than bacon, but I only had bacon on hand so I made do.

Ann

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Oh, I see it..and now I am craving...but too hot to make them today, and I make a mess when I do it!

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

As always I enjoy hearing and seeing what everyone has had. Since I last posted I made Pot Stickers and Shrimp with Vegetables for company. It turned out well. Then we had grilled lemon garlic chicken (I saw Sol's recipe and it was very good, will make again - BIG thank you!), rice pilaf and steamed broccoli. Tonight is chicken salad over lettuce (I've got a freezer full of chicken) and chilled gazpacho. I can't wait because I love gazpacho.

Tomorrow will be London Broil on the grill. I've got it marinating right now in the frig. I haven't decided on sides yet.

• Marigene
    15 years ago

Sharon, the shrimp look gooooood! Time to have the red curry shrimp here.

Ann, the pirogies look succulent. I haven't had them since I was a child and have never made them!

Dinner last night was chiken breasts rolled with chèvre and spinach. Dessert for Howard was the zweiback pie.

Tonight will be dinner out with friends.

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Nothing special but good...Chicken Salad & Gazpacho.

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Marigene, that looks delicious..I take it you don't like Zwieback pie??

Dixie, the chicken salad looks excellent. One order here please!

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Yum, everything looks good. Elery wants Gina's chickpeas and Ann T's lamb plus a bowl of her chili, but I want anything that SharonCB had (especially that shrimp), some of marigene's cookies, AM's falafel, kathleen's pears and dixie's chicken salad. Oh heck, I'll take some of everything!

We did eat this week, in between canning. One night we had chili dogs with homemade chili and some hot/spicy Asian type coleslaw. The dressing is made with Siracha chili sauce and it was so hot Ashley said she thought "her face was going to burn off". LOL Elery loved it, so it was all his:

{{gwi:1538199}}

{{gwi:1538201}}

We picked blueberries, so I made a blueberry crisp:

I baked some sesame/whole wheat bread with pecans, so we had my homegrown eggs on toast with kohlrabi hashbrowns one night:

We had a frittata one night with the leftover kohlrabi and fresh basil and last night we had grilled cod, collard greens, some string beans and new red potatoes with butter, parsley and chives. All the vegetables came from my garden as well as the parsley and chives:

OK, I can't think of anything else. The Monkey Princess and Bruvver went to the beach with us one day and we had ham and cheese sandwiches and cookies, and the Princess is spending tomorrow night with me so who knows what we'll have!

Annie

• Gina_W
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll close this one out with no pix - last night I made pan-seared sea scallops, coconut rice pilaf with dried cranberries and almonds, and a lentil/yellow split pea side dish. Healthy stuff. I did jazz things up with my current favorite hot condiment - Harissa (Mustapha's Moroccan Harissa) - this is some kick-butt-hot stuff, so don't mess with it unless you're a chili-head!