SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
remodel_mama

recessed lights in kitchen - electrician coming today - help

remodel-mama
13 years ago

Hi all,

Ok, DH discussed the location of the recessed lights in the kitchen for 2+ hours (!) last night - but didn't make a decision. Not sure why we didn't hve our KD help out with this - but now it's a bit late since the electrician is coming today...

Here is some background on the kitchen:

Painted white (well, slightly off-white) inset cabinets (the two cabinets flanking the range will have glass doors - and don't worry, I know about the grease issue... :). The island will be antiqued black (amaretto). There are no windows in the kitchen, but the kitchen is open to the dining room which has french doors and 2 windows.

We will have 2 mini pendants (50 watt each) over the island; under counter (fluorescnt) lights; and 2 puck lights under higher cabinet above sink. The recessed lights are 4" fluorescent/CFLs(we are required to use fluorescent here).

So here are the options that we have come up with. I would love any feedback you have. Which one do you think will be better? Or maybe you have a suggestion to make it better?

OPTION 1: 7 cans, 3 placed over the edge of the counter top, others scattered for general lighting. Seems like a lot of lights for the size of the kitchen, but maybe we need this many (??)

OPTION 2: 5 cans placed more in walkway between counter and island. Without having lights right above the edge of the counter, I'm not sure if the uncabinet lights - even if placed in the front part of the cabinet - will give enough or the right kind of light. Is 5 4" cans enough?

Maybe you have an OPTION 3 for me? Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer :)

Thanks you!

Comments (5)