SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rschleicher_gw

Still confused by farm sink options

rschleicher
11 years ago

I've been reading many of the posts regarding farm sinks, and am still very confused on the various options of materials, makers, etc.

- fireclay (various makers) versus porcelain/cast iron (e.g. Kohler) - I keep reading posts about needing to be careful with fireclay, including stories of cracking from overtight garbage disposers, cracking after dumping boiling water down the drain, cracking/chipping from heavy pots, cooktop grates, etc. Are these just rare cases? We have a fairly basic enamel/iron (or steel?) sink, that we don't take any precautions with.

- It seems like Rohl/Shaw is the "gold standard" in fireclay farm sinks, but we still see trouble reports about them, including the cracking issues. But are they still as good or better than other brands, such as Franke/VB, Whitehaus, and/or Kohler's fireclay choices?

- I'm a little worried about the amount of cabinet work that might be needed. We're basically intending to paint our existing cabinets, and put on new granite countertops. But the height of the existing cabinet box under the sink, above the doors, is only 8-9", whereas many of the sinks have a total height of 10" or so. Does this prevent us from an undermount installation, or force us to get a new cabinet box if we want undermount? If getting a clean install means that a new cabinet box is semi-required anyway, then perhaps I don't need to worry that much about the sink dimension, as long as it "fits in the overall space".

- I know that fireclay sinks vary a bit, and that it is necessary to have the actual sink in hand before the countertops get cut, etc. But is it fairly safe to just buy a sink and rely on the cabinet work being doable? Or is it best to consult with our (eventual) countertop and/or cabinet folks first?

- How about buying online? I've seen a few posts that advise not buying online, so that things like the drainage slants and other variables can be inspected before taking delivery. Is it really that bad?

Tips and advice are appreciated!

Comments (3)