SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pussuskattus_gw

Tiling above top of upper cabinets? DIY? How?

pussuskattus
13 years ago

All -

I need some help for a potential DIY project. Our tile company has given me a quote that I think is high for tiling in my backsplashes. I am providing the tile (sumi-e 1-by-2 glass staggered tiles), and they were to do the work. I think I will have to do it myself.

I've done tiling work before, and I know it is time-consuming, but I know I can do it. I've laid it out (thanks to this forum for the idea to buy 1-by-1 tiles for a lot of the edges) so I do not need to cut a lot of tiles, so most of the work is just installing.

But my problem is that I am installing the tiles up behind the hood, all to the way to the crown moulding, including up over the upper cabinets. (From 9'3" up to about 10'7" above the floor - high ceilings!)

The upper cabinets are already installed, including the crown moulding, and my DH looked at it and said "How the heck are you going to tile above the upper cabinets"?

Now, I've figured the crown has to come down. Not a huge issue. But what about the upper cabinets?

Will a tall ladder be enough? Scaffolding? Do I need my cabinet installer to come back and carefully take down the upper cabinets?

Did anyone have their walls tiled in to the ceiling over their cabs? Did you see how your installer did it?

Comments (8)