SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maxq_gw

under cabinet linear lighting

maxq
16 years ago

After a lot of investigation into undercabinet lighting, The Seagull Ambiance LX lighing looks interesting, but it is a bit of a sticker shock.

I have about 13.5 lineal feet (162") of actual undercabinet distance to cover. The way Seagull's system is designed, however, they advise it to be installed with the track and an integral track cover, which creates a very nice 10 AWG conduit/raceway. Inclusive of this additional track and cover, I have about 27.5' of total track and cable. By the time I add a 300W transformer, 20 festoon sockets (8" on center), 20 10W xenon lamps, their splicers, and some protective sleaving where the cable passes through the cabinets, I come to a retail tab of $700 retail for the system, about $500 at one local lighting store, and $420 at another store that is having a 40% off sale. While this may not seem like a lot, it amounts to about $31 per lineal foot of exposed undercabinet lighting, which seems high for some extruded plastic channel and some 10AWG landscape lighting cable, and a transformer. While it seems to be a nice system, I see why some people use puck lights. Are most of you happy with your Seagull linear lighting? Was it worth the expense?

Comment (1)