SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitkat3_gw

Need help with Dryer vent tube!

kitkat3
13 years ago

Hello. I just moved to a new apartment and the dryer vent tube is super long and I need to replace it. It goes from the back of a "potential dryer" (to be purchased) across the basement ceiling joists(about 20 or more ft) to the outside. The dryer's electrical outlet is in the middle of the basement instead of near an outside wall. The current dryer vent tube is made of white plastic--looks like a giant white Slinky and right now it's hanging down from the ceiling. It's really old,filled with gunk and I want to replace it with a new metal one.

Where can I find a vent tube that long? Or would I get smaller pieces and join them together somehow? It's at least 20 feet...maybe longer from the back of the dryer, up the wall, across the ceiling and out.

Does this seem to be a fire hazard? Any suggestions on how to hang it up properly? How can I attach it without puncturing the metal?

I'm also wondering how to clean lint out of that tube on a regular basis since it's so long.

All ideas are very welcome...I'll be posting help for my new washer/dryer purchase too. Thanks!

Comments (6)