SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pattico_gw

What the heck is wrong here at Garden Web...

pattico_gw
15 years ago

It takes 10 minutes to load and open anything.

Are you all having the same problem?

patti

Comments (31)

• sushipup1
    15 years ago

No, not here. When this happened to you, did you check other internet sites to see how they loaded? Was it your ISP? My whole SP went down earlier this evening for a couple of minutes. I just went away and did some other things, came back and all was okay.

OTOH, maybe I missed it entirely. It is possible for Gardenweb's servers to have problems.

• gwanny2three
    15 years ago

Yep....slow as molasses here! I even rebooted thinking it was my computer....not that...just super slow!

• Related Discussions

What the heck is wrong with my corn.

Q

Comments (4)
    Possible reasons for stunted corn: too wet too dry too cold poor soil fertility compacted soil Did you sow from seed or set plants? If you bought plants from a store, they probably sat there too long. Generally, corn doesn't take to transplanting well.
    ...See More

Is there still a person named Pete here on Garden Web?

Q

Comments (2)
    Unfortunately, Pete and GW had a permanent parting of the ways. Guess GW didn't find him as entertaining as you did. However, he may be lurking out there sometimes, so perhaps he will get your message. Nice of you to remember him. It was livelier back then with Pete playing gadfly--as well as sharing helpful information, wasn't it. LOL Kate
    ...See More

What the heck am I doing wrong?

Q

Comments (5)
    I hope you meet with success. I was having problems growing it and was really frustrated at the fact that they grew wild on the roadside but would not take in the gardens. After comparing the roadside to the areas I was trying to get them to grow, I started placing them in areas which I considered hot, dry, full sun, crappy soil. Worked like a charm. I now have some pastel pinks and yellows (birds seeded those), Cerise Queen, and a short variety which is stunning - pastel yellow with silver foliage. The short one is planted at the edge of a rock wall where even Calendulas pout. It's a keeper!
    ...See More

RE: What the heck am I growing here?

Q

Comments (1)
    That's great! Will you be sharing extra seed at our seed exchange? Here is a link that might be useful: Asian Vegetable Seed Exchange
    ...See More
  • caflowerluver
    15 years ago

It has been SUPER SLOW since late afternoon and that is all the forums on GW. I can go to any other website and it loads quicky with no problems. I even rebooted my computer thinking that was the problem, but it turns out the problem is with GW. I am going to bed. I hope they fix it by tomorrow.
    Clare

• frazoo
    15 years ago

They seem to have a new format, or whatever it's called. It's loaded with extra stuff, more ads, more things to click on...more of everything. I don't like it. I don't care what they put on the pages, just speed it up!

Iiiitttt's veeerrrrryyyyy sssslllooowwww!!!

Leslie/KS

• pattico_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The KTers that go to Meeting House are talking about it...I guess a lot are having trouble, and many can't get on at all.

If they are working on something...I sure wish they let us know they are going to...

And if they aren't working on it...I wish they'd get busy...lol

I able to post but after typing it take about 5 minutes after preview then 5 more after hitting submit...plus the 5 minutes it took to open the post.

I'm going to go read a book...

I'll check back before going to bed to see if it's any better.

patti

• roseluver
    15 years ago

Very slow for me. I was ready to give up when it finally opened.

• golfergrrl
    15 years ago

Been really slow to load. Red x's everywhere. Odd formatting. All other sites are OK. Thought it was just me. I rebooted. I logged off GW and logged back in. Still messed up.

• Pooh Bear
    15 years ago

Mine was doing the same thing so I edited my HOST file
    and added these two entries:
    127.0.0.1 graphics.gardenweb.com
    127.0.0.1 graphics.thathomesite.com

And I haven't had any more trouble.
    The problem seems to be coming from those two sub domains.
    So I just told my computer to ignore anything loaded from there.

Pooh Bear

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

So slow. Weird page layout that won't complete. I thought it was a browser incompatibility and switched browsers. Nada. I rebooted. My Spy Sweeper thingy is going crazy and keeps telling me to do somthing I do not understand what it is trying to tell me. All my other sites visited are fine.

Poohbear, can you explain in layman terms what it is that you did to fixt this?

• barb_from_pa
    15 years ago

goofy here, too

• minnie_tx
    15 years ago

I had trouble early this evening but I figured that the net was really busy or they were doing some kind of maintenance now it is ok

• Pooh Bear
    15 years ago

The link below explains it better than I probably could.

I use XP so my HOST file is at C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
    I just open it with notepad and add entries to it
    for sites I want to block. Then just save the file.
    Before you modify it make a backup copy just in case.
    Works great to block ads and a lot of other unwanted stuff.

Pooh Bear

Here is a link that might be useful: Using the HOST file to block ads

• cynic
    15 years ago

I haven't had any problems, but then I use Opera which solves a LOT of problems. I tend to do my ad blocking through the browser in case I need to access a page, then I simply open K-meleon or Firefox and use that.

If you want to edit your hosts file, this might help. Editing your hosts file can be simple and effective but be warned you can stop yourself from accessing sites too, so it's a good idea to make a backup in case you make a mistake. As you go along, it's also a good idea to back up the hosts file. Then if you have a problem, just replace with a prior one and you don't have to start all over again. This is a worst case scenario and seldom is there a problem, so this is just a caveat.

If you have Vista the hosts file is in "C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc". However if you have UAC on it may prevent you from editing it. To get around this is simple:

1) Browse to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories
    2) Right click "Notepad" and select "Run as administrator"
    3) Click "Continue" on the UAC prompt
    4) Click File -> Open
    5) Browse to "C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc"
    6) Change the file filter drop down box from "Text Documents (*.txt)" to "All Files (*.*)"
    7) Select "hosts" and click "Open"
    8) Make the needed changes and close Notepad. Save when prompted

Simple as that.

• cynic
    15 years ago

Forgot to add that if you want to edit it often, just make a shortcut to it. This should work for Vista & XP:

Right click on your desktop, click New>Shortcut then ehter:
    C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

If you have Vista, you need to set it to run as an Administrator, which is easy. Right click on the shortcut, click properties then click the Advanced button on the Shortcut tab and select Run As Administrator. This will allow you to edit the file in place in notepad and open the hosts file automatically. It'll come up with the UAC warning but just continue on and you'll be fine.

• phyllis__mn
    15 years ago

The format was really messed up last night, as well as being extremely slow. Seems OK this morning.

• bigfoot_liz
    15 years ago

tried last night w/ explorer, firefox & opera...too slllooooww for me, if it doesn't load instantly (cable modem) i move on LOL! i had no trouble anywhere else, just here. i figured i PO someone and was being banned after 14+ yrs w/ GW LOL ~ liz

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

no problem here
    no extra graphics or anything either... it looks exactly the same as always.

but then, I'm running adblock with firefox...

• Granlan_TX
    15 years ago

That was maddening, wasn't it? With only Windows 98 and dialup, I was cussing my server, puter, etc. Then I found I could go anywhere else with no problems, so I knew it was the gardenweb site.

• User
    15 years ago

Last night I thought I was the only one having problems so I kept my mouth shut. LOL The only ad I could see was the Oil of Olay one and it drove me nuts. All the other graphics were broken and it took forever to load. This morning all is back to normal and all is well with the world again! LOL

• OklaMoni
    15 years ago

and I thought, my dauthers lap top was acting up. ;)

So glad, that today all is well.

Moni

• Dee1
    15 years ago

It seems to be loading faster today, but the red x's are still there.

• lindyluwho
    15 years ago

No problem here. Load right up last night and this morning.

Linda

• lindaohnowga
    15 years ago

Today seems better but yesterday was awful...very slow loading.

• nodakgal
    15 years ago

Today is great.
    Last night was AWFUL! Right after supper til I finally gave up too and went to bed with a book.

• grammahony
    15 years ago

I tried to post the same question last night, but it was taking to long. Like you said Patti, 5 min. to preview and 5 min. to submit. That was after waiting 5 min. to get in here at all.
    Lots of red x's still.
    Leslie

• golfergrrl
    15 years ago

Mine's OK this morning. Loads fine. No red x's. Looks fine. Wonder what the heck they were doing.

• monica_pa Grieves
    15 years ago

Looks like GardenWeb had problems with their graphics servers last night. Even Opera was slow last night.

Now...looks normal.

• heather_on
    15 years ago

I thought it was my older computer and modem acting up. Glad it wasn't me!

• justlinda
    15 years ago

Same problems last night, but all is up and running just fine this morning. Yea.....

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Thanks cynic, for the detailed step by step tutorial. I need hand holding when it comes to computer stuff. I don't have an intuitive knack for this stuff.

When I came back to GW right now today things seem to have cleared on their own. Some of the graphics boxes are still empty but at least pages are loading.

• sue_va
    15 years ago

Last evening I decided it was time to update to Firefox3, so I went ahead and did that.

Then when I came back on to surf, everything was like molasses at Christmas time.

I thought I had messed up for sure or else FF3 was the pits!

Thank goodness it was GW, not me or FF3.

BTW, this is a good time remind every one that has problems with ads, etc. that using FF will solve all that.

Sue