SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris_r11

Do Low voltage recessed lights really save any money?

chris_r11
17 years ago

Hi,

I am trying to decide what kinds of lighting to do in our kitchen. We had new cabinets and counters put in but could not really deal with the lighting at that time - were running out of money.

So, now I am looking at replacing the incorrectly placed recessed lighting that was already in the house.

I have looked at these: http://www.sonriselighting.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SL&Product_Code=SRL4ICN

4 in recessed low voltage lights or I can just do 5" cans with line voltage and baffled trims. Any opinions on these lights from Sunrise lighting? Anyone use them?

I have been told both ways, that the low voltage saves money and that they are a waste of money. What do people put in their kitchens and why? Is the light superior of one verses the other? Do people usually do more cans with low voltage?

So, which is better? I can provide a plan of the kitchen if that would help. Since I really am not going to be hit with an inspection I can go either way and I am competent enough to fill in the old holes and wire them up. We really don't like the light output of the flourescents at all, so those are out.

Thanks for any opinions.

Chris

Comments (18)