SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gilmoregal

White Bread Recipe from 1953 BH&G Cookbook?

gilmoregal
15 years ago

When we were growing up, my mother used to make delicious white bread using the recipe from her 1953 Better Homes & Gardens New Cookbook (the classic red/white checked one). I would love to have that recipe, but my mother's cookbook has somehow disappeared - probably sold at a garage sale when we moved. If someone has that cookbook and wouldn't mind sharing that recipe, I would be thrilled. (I have tried the recipe in my newer edition of the BH&G cookbook, but it just doesn't taste quite the same, so I think it may be slightly different from the 1953 version.) Thanks.

Comments (46)

• grainlady_ks
    15 years ago

I have a BH&G Homemade Bread Cook Book that has a recipe for Perfect White Bread with instructions that includes two mixing methods (easy-mix method and conventional method). If someone doesn't have the exact recipe you are looking for, I'll post those.

I was wondering if your mother used fresh yeast (cake yeast), or active dry yeast? The reason I ask, there's a huge taste/smell difference in bread made with fresh yeast. Nothing sends be back to my mother's kitchen than the smell of bread made with fresh yeast (which is nearly impossible to find around here). Another little reminder, they used good old all-purpose flour back then.

Did you happen to check BH&G web site for the recipe there?

-Grainlady

• gilmoregal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Grainlady -
    I'm sure my mother used Fleischman's Active Dry Yeast (this was in the late 60's/early 70's, so I don't think that Rapid Rise had been introduced). And yes, you are exactly right - she used AP flour.
    I did not check the BH&G website but did do a Google search without finding anything. I will check the website but still hope that someone has the cookbook and will post the recipe.
    Thanks for your help!

• Related Discussions

Rye bread recipe

Q

Comments (13)
    This is the recipe, as written, from my BH&G cookbook circa 1960: Swedish Rye Bread 2 loaves 1 PKG active dry yeast 1/4 cup water 1/4 cup brown sugar 1/4 cup light molasses 1 Tablespoon salt 2 Tablespoons shortening 1-1/2 cups hot water 2-1/2 cups stirred medium Rye Flour 2 Tablespoons grated orange peel 3-1/2 to 4 cups sifted all-purpose flour Oven 375ºF Soften yeast in warm water (110º). In a large bowl, combine sugar, molasses,salt,and shortening. Add hot water and stir till sugar dissolves. Cool to lukewarm. Stir in Rye Flour: beat well. Add softened yeast and orange peel; mix well. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to make a moderately stiff dough. Knead on well-floured surface till smooth and satiny (about 10 minutes). Place dough in lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover; let rise in warm place till double (1-1/2 to 2 hours). Punch down. Turn out on lightly floured surface; divide in 2 portions. Shape each portion into a smooth ball. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Pat dough in 2 round loaves; place on greased baking sheet. (Or shape in 2 oblong loaves and place in greased 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 x 2-1/2" bread pans.) Cover and let rise in warm place till double. Bake at 375ºF about 25 to 30 minutes. Place foil loosely over tops last 10 minutes if necessary. For softer crust, brush with melted butter. Cool on rack.
    ...See More

Looking for BH&G 1953 quick shrimp curry recipe

Q

Comments (9)
    I haven't seen the frozen C of S soup for years either. I first came across the canned type about five years ago in a cut rate food store that I think got them from freight damaged shipments. (These were not dented or damaged in any way but perhaps part of the case was.) I bought all they had. Then about a year ago I found them in a very large supermarket in a larger town. Now they're available in medium sized town supermarkets but not yet in my small 3,000 Pop. town. I've got my stash and replenish it whenever I get low and hit a larger town. LOL Of course, without the recipe, I came up with some "interesting" variations. Thanks again for the real thing Teresa.
    ...See More

Bread machine cookbook recommendations?

Q

Comments (8)
    "The Bread Lovers Bread Machine Cookbook" has a lot of good recipes, and I've liked everything I've made from it. I found the Dummies book very annoying, probably because I am not a dummy and should have considered that before I bought it. I personally would be insulted if anyone gave me a dummy book. It's okay to buy it for yourself, but I think it may send the wrong message if given as a gift. I also got rid of my bread machine and now make most of my bread dough in my Kitchenaid mixer. Actually, the machine died and I decided not to replace it. I mixed most of the dough before I put it in the machine anyway, and I found that it did not save me much time. I did like it for making pizza dough, but I'm fine making that with my mixer as well. I still use the Bread Lovers recipes when making bread in my mixer.
    ...See More

Annie's Grandmother's White Bread Recipe

Q

Comments (29)
    Very similar to the one I use for all of my sweet rolls. Here's mine for Pecan Sticky Buns: Pat’s Pecan Sticky Buns FOR ABM Dough: 1 cup milk 1/2 cup butter, melted 1/4 cup sugar 2 eggs 3/4 tsp. salt 4 cups all-purpose flour 2-1/2 tsp. active dry yeast Filling: 1/2 cup butter, softened 1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed Topping: 1/4 cup butter, melted 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/4 cup light corn syrup Chopped pecans Heat butter, brown sugar and corn syrup, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Pour into greased pan. Sprinkle pan with pecans. Place all ingredients in bread machine in the order recommended and use the dough cycle. (Made in 1-1/2 lb. Machine). Remove the dough from the machine when cycle is complete. Roll dough out on a well-floured board. Spread softened butter evenly over rolled dough. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over butter. Roll dough up. Prepare Topping and place in greased pan. Slice rolls and place over topping in pan. Allow to rise 30 minutes in a warm place. Bake in a preheated 350° F. oven for about 18 – 20 minutes. After removing from oven, allow to sit for approximately five minutes in pan. Invert pan over large cookie sheet that is lined with either Silpat or parchment paper. Leave pan on top of rolls for a few minutes to allow all pecans to drip onto rolls. Remove pan and enjoy!
    ...See More
  • bessiedawg
    15 years ago

I have the 1949 BH&G cookbook. Here is the recipe from that one.

White Bread
    Straight Dough Process

1/4 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons shortening
    4 teaspoons salt
    4 cups liquid, scalded
    1 cake fresh or 1 package granular yeast
    1/4 cup lukewarm water
    12 to 14 cups flour

Combine sugar, shortening, salt, and liquid in large mixing bowl. Cool to lukewarm and add yeast softened in lukewarm water. Add 4 cups flour and beat thoroly. Add remaining flour gradually and mix to a dough that wonÂt stick to hands or bowl. Knead lightly on floured surface 8 to 10 minutes. Place in greased bowl; cover closely and let rise in warm place (82 degrees) until doubled in bulk, 2 to 2 ½ hours. Promptly punch down or knead about 2 minutes until dough is reduced to original bulk. Let rise again until doubled in bulk. Knead down; divide in 4 portions for loaves; cover and let rest 10 to 15 minutes. Mold in loaves; place I greased pans; cover closely and set in warm place (82 degrees) until doubled in bulk and a light touch leaves a slight dent. Bake in hot oven (400 to 425 degrees) 40 to 45 minutes. Makes four 1-pound loves.

Bread is done if it shrinks from pan and sounds hollow when tapped with finger. Remove loaves from pans and cool on racks or across edges of pans. For a crisp crust, neither grease nor cover loaves while cooling. For a soft crust, brush top of loaves with fat or salad oil after removing from oven.

There is also a sponge process white bread. Just let me know if you want that one also.

Have fun,
    Linda

• grainlady_ks
    15 years ago

Source: Better Homes and Gardens - Homemade Bread Cook Book

Perfect White Bread

(easy-mix method)

5-3/4 to 6-1/4 c. all-purpose flour
    1 package active dry yeast
    2-1/4 c. milk
    2 T. sugar
    1 T. shortening
    2 t. salt

In large mixer bowl combine 2-1/2 c. of the flour and the yeast. In saucepan heat together milk, sugar, shortening, and salt just till warm (115°-120°F), stirring constantly to melt shortening. Add to dry mixture in mixer bowl. Beat at low speed with electric mixer for 1/2 minute, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat the mixture 3 minutes at high speed.

By hand, stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead till smooth and elastic (8-10 minutes). Shape in a ball. Place dough in lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease surface. Cover; let rise in warm place until double (about 1-1/4 hours). Punch dough down; turn out on lightly floured surface. Divide dough in 2 portions.

Shape each in a smooth ball; cover and let rest 10 minutes. Shape in loaves; place in two greased 8-1/2x4-1/2x2-1/2-inch loaf pans. Cover and let rise till double (45-60 minutes). Bake at 375°F till done, about 45 minutes. If tops brown too fast, cover loosely with foil the last 15 minutes. remove from pans; cool. Makes 2 loaves.
    ----------------------------------

Perfect White Bread
    (conventional method)

1 pkg. active dry yeast
    1/4 c. warm water (110°F)
    2 c. milk
    2 T. sugar
    1 T. shortening
    2 t. salt
    5-3/4 to 6-1/4 c. all-purpose flour

Soften yeast in warm water. In saucepan combine milk, sugar, shortening, and salt. Heat till sugar dissolves. Cool to lukewarm. Stir in 2 cups of flour; beat well. Add the softened yeast; beat thoroughly until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead till smooth and elastic (8-10 minutes). Shape in a ball. Place in lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease surface. Cover; let rise in warm place until double (about 1-1/4 hours).

Punch dough down; turn out on lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 2 portions. Shape each into a smooth ball; cover and let rest 10-minutes. Shape in loaves; place in two greased 8-1/2x4-1/2x2-1/2-inch loaf pans. Cover and let rise in warm place till double (45-60 minutes). Bake at 375°F till done, about 45 minutes. If tops brown too fast, cover loosely with foil the last 15 minutes. Remove from pans; cool. Makes 2.

• gilmoregal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bessiedawg and Grainlady - Thanks so much for the recipes. I plan to try all three of them - hopefully at least one will come close to the taste that I remember. There is nothing better than the smell of bread baking or the taste of good bread with a little butter....

• grainlady_ks
    15 years ago

gilmoregal -

Not sure how much bread baking you normally do, or what method you normally like to use, but in the recipe bessiedawg posted she mentions a sponge method and I'd suggest using that method. It takes longer, but you'll get a lot of additional flavor and texture not found in the straight-dough method bread.

I use a 2-1/2 hour sponge in warm weather, but when the house is cold in the winter, I'll use an overnight sponge. This is one of those things that makes the difference between good bread and great bread.

The recipe also makes four loaves, which is more than most ovens hold on one shelf without over-crowding during baking and you'll risk shredding on the sides of the loaves. You don't want to bake on two shelves because the temparature will vary enough to possibly burn the bottoms of the lower loaves.

Scale the dough into 4 equal portions so you get equal-sized loaves that bake in the same amount of time. After you form the loaves, cover them with plastic wrap that you've sprayed with Pam. Place two in the refrigerator to retard the dough and let the other two proof as you normally would. When the first two have doubled in bulk, bake them. When the first loaves have about 20-25 minutes left to bake, take out the refergerated loaves and let them finish proofing. It won't take as long to finish proofing the refrigerated loaves as it did the first two loaves because they will have risen some in the refrigerator.

Retarding two of the loaves will prevent them from over-proofing while waiting for the first two loaves to bake.

And yes, there's not many smells as wonderful as freshly baked bread ;-).

-Grainlady

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Today I made the Perfect white bread (easy mix) recipe. It came out great! Finally a bread everyone likes.

• donnar57
    10 years ago

If you'd like to find the whole cookbooks, check out abebooks.com. There's a link below, which hopefully will work until somebody buys this copy.

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: BH&G New Cookbook, 1953

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

I cannot find the edition for the life of me, but here's the recipe in the one my parents received as a wedding present in '57.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Donna and FOAS, you have both inspired me to get out my Grandmothers cookbook! Its from 1943

Bread recipe

When I got it out I realized that I will be near a book repair store this week and I'm going to drop it off to be repaired. Also, while looking through it, I found my Grandmothers recipe for crullers which was a family favorite. No one has had ones made by her in 30 years or more. No one else in the family ever made them. On Sunday I'm having my extended family over and will surprise them with crullers. I'm sure we will all be crying at the memories. I called my mom to ask some questions. Here is the recipe. Grandmother just did them in a frying pan but I'm going to use a deep pot so I don't have oil flying around. Mom said she used a 50/50 mix of granulated and confectionary sugar. I will post the results!

Sorry for the turned and blurry photos.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    10 years ago

I have a mid to late '50s Better Homes and Garden Cook Book, and the white bread recipe is the same as the one in the picture that foodonastump shares above.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

I make white bread regularly and it calls for 2 tbsp butter.
    If you have bacon fat in the frig, try putting 1 tbsp bacon fat and 1 tbsp butter. Delicious!!!

Grainlady, thanks for the suggestion of putting 2 loaves into the frig!! When I want to make my full recipe, which calls for 4 loaves, it's a juggling act to get them all into the oven without ruining one :)

• Barbara Bodager
    3 years ago

my mom had a version of the BH&G bread cookbook (I don't know the publication date, but likely in the 1960s-1970s). In there was a recipe called Bread of My Childhood, which I greatly enjoyed. The recipe included egg, which made it special. Does anyone have that recipe?

• plllog
    3 years ago

Mine doesn't have it, but in looking I found out that it has a recipe for bear-braised rabbit!

Egg bread is not unusual. It's very good. Can you describe it more? Maybe we can find you a similar recipe.

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

yup, that is my grandmothers recipe (butter subbed for shortening, same amount). We call it gram's parker house roll recipe ... we craft them into rolls and pop them in a tin pie plate and freeze in a zip bag...

• Barbara Bodager
    3 years ago

other than it was cooked in loaves per the recipe, I cannot describe it any further. Just by the name, which I always thought was sweet.

• plllog
    3 years ago

Did you see the name printed in the book? Just checking to make sure it wasn't just what your mom called it...

• Barbara Bodager
    3 years ago

No; that was the name of the recipe. Thanks.

• plllog
    3 years ago

I'll see if my mother's copy has it, but it might take awhile...

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

Off topic from the bump, but in re-reading this thread I was struck by grainlady’s statement that there's a huge taste/smell difference in bread made with fresh yeast. Based on discussion around the holidays I was led to believe cake yeast was more a nostalgia thing. Reason it’s of interest now is I was watching a recent instruction video for pizza that used yeast cakes, without discussion as to why. I was getting set to convert to IDY but now I’m wondering if it’s worth trying both ways.

• lindac92
    3 years ago

Can you find cake yeast? I can't.
    I find that what gives bread the taste of "grandma's bread" is some milk in the liquid......and maybe a touch of over proofing! At least my grandmother's bread!

• arkansas girl
    3 years ago

I wish the original poster would have come back and said how they turned out.

I can't find yeast at all in our stores right now. I had bought some when this all started so I do have enough for what little bread and pizza I make from scratch...at least I hope so, I'm assuming yeast will be back in stores at some point! shrugs shoulders...

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

Linda - When I mentioned cake yeast to my mom before Christmas she knew right away where I could get it. What I’m not clear on - and neither was she - was whether they carry it year round. Fleischmann’s site says it’s seasonal in some areas. I suspect either way I’d not find it today.

As I’m looking it up again I’m noticing that Fleischmann’s has corn starch in it, whereas Red Star does not. At the time I was thinking it did not look or feel like the yeast I remember from childhood. This might be why? Now I’m wondering if it’s even worth seeking out.

• plllog
    3 years ago

You can get cake yeast at bakery supply sources.

I haven't used it for a long time, but what I remember about baking with cake yeast is that you have to proof it, and that it often wasn't sufficient, so you had to get extra yeast if you had a planned baking day, and that sometimes you could chivvy it along and make it work, but that took a long time. It also doesn't last in the fridge, so if there's an emergency and you miss your baking day, you need new yeast for next week. Even if the yeast proves lively, it's much more sensitive to environment, and may not raise the way you think, over or under risen.

Commercial bakeries use fresh yeast, but their kitchens are all about baking. It's a consistent environment with much more control, and they bake daily, not just one morning per week. I think the yeast also does better in the big loaves than it does in the small cubes.

Even so, my mother used cake yeast long after the packets of ADY were available. I think the early ADY wasn't as reliable as it is now.

So, the truth is, you shouldn't taste the yeast in the finished bread. Some people like a yeasty taste, so aim for that, especially in pizza, but it's aberrant, and not otherwise desired.

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

So you recommend I put on my mask and search high and low?

Here’s the video I was talking about above. No proofing, no mention of even warming the water.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

I don't recall seeing this the first time around, but better late than never, I guess.

I have several Betty Crocker cookbooks - and this is from the 1950 edition:

• plllog
    3 years ago

FOAS, I do not think it's worth your effort to find supermarket cake yeast right now. If you want to try it, ask a bakery or pizzeria if you can buy some off them for curbside pickup. BUT, much as I revere Grainlady on many topics, you'll note that her recommendation for cake yeast was nostalgic and emotional.

Yes, you can smell the fresh yeast when you open it. Because it's moist! If you proof your ADY with lukewarm water and a little sugar, in the same quantity (one packet equals one cake as packaged for the supermarket), setting it on a warm spot (pilot light if you have one, I do the cable box, or in the sun, or a previously warmed but off burner), and it wakes up and bubbles merrily, your kitchen will smell of yeast in the same way as if you were proofing cake yeast. When you open a loaf of fresh yeast, like the guy in your video, your kitchen will reek of it. Some people retch, but most bread lovers love the smell of yeast. It's actually the fermentation you're smelling, rather than the organisms. That's why it reminds most people of beer or wine

Re taste, some people love the yeasty taste of some pizza. For that you don't need cake yeast--you need too much yeast. A lot of pizza restaurants don't have the space or planning ability to do a cold ferment, like the guy in your video. You usually have to make tomorrow's pizza dough today. The flavor, as in sourdough, artisan bread, and many other yeast doughs, comes from the long, cold ferment, not the yeast (exception would be sourdough that is made to taste sour which uses less starter and longer ferment). If you want to make pizza today, you use more yeast and a quick rise. That doesn't guarantee a yeasty taste. I don't remember for sure on this part, but I seem to remember that it's the hot fast bake that gives a yeastier flavor because less of the yeast dies, but I may have that part wrong. I don't make that kind.

You can get too much yeast in other ways than just using more. If you proof the yeast or rise the bread at a higher temperature, the yeast will grow more. Same with giving it sugar. You can do a longer rise at room temp. Probably other ways I can't remember.

Yeasty tasting is technically a flaw, but it's one that people cultivate, like uneven holey crumb, just because they like it that way. Whatever floats your boat. :) I overload my honeycake so it'll slightly fall because that's what my father loved. Sometimes "wrong" is right.

The guy in the video is a commercial baker. They all use cake yeast. They don't have to worry about shelf life. There's no reason for the extra steps and expense both at the yeast brewery and in the bakery for drying and granulating the yeast just to turn around and revive it.

Go ahead and try it. You might like it. But if you find Fleishmann's out of season, it's probably old. Don't bother. Get some from the bakery or pizzeria or supply store and bake tomorrow. Crumbling the yeast is fun. :)

• plllog
    3 years ago

BTW, FOAS, I'm making pizza with my new 00 flour tonight. If it comes out well, I'll share the recipe.

• plllog
    3 years ago

@Barbara Bodager

I'm sorry. I was able to get someone to check over the phone. My mother's book is from the right era, but doesn't have your recipe.

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

Plllog I was kidding about running out! Your post gave me every reason not to bother. That’s not saying I won’t, of course. I appreciate the input.

I’m most interested in your 00 results. Perhaps jump back to your flour thread, as we’ve veered off topic here. (ETA - I see you’re already taking about it there!)

• lindac92
    3 years ago

According to the Red Star site....cake yeast and dry yeast are the same animal, but one has water added and there for is perishable.as for using too much yeast for a "yeasty" flavor....not necessarily so....yeast grown when moistened and fed flour...so you can get too much yeast by a longer rise....but likely your dough will collapse and you will have to de gas and re shape....but the by products of the yeast will be there and give you some of the alcohol/yeasty taste you seek....or don't seek!
    When I made my "daily bread"....at least these days I am baking bread daily....I don't proof at all.....and use cold water to mix. The friction of mixing/ kneading will raise the temperature of the dough.....and dry yeast doesnt need proofing....unless you question the age or how well ti was stored.
    That pizza dough demonstration is pretty well French bread....but olive oil was added....making it Italian bread......and easier to roll out as it doesn't snap back quite as much.
    I think i may have a B C cookbook....it's got a red checked cover.....I'll check and see what edition it is.

• plllog
    3 years ago

LOL! I'm kind of out of it today, FOAS. I totally missed the joke, though I see it now And that the video was meant as a hoot, too. :)

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

LOL the video part was serious, that’s the exact flour I picked up so I was looking for recipes/baker percentages specifically recommended for it.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Doh! I read Betty Crocker when OP says BH&G.

I have that old BH&G cookbook too.

Will check for this tomorrow.

• lizbeth-gardener
    3 years ago

This thread is from 2008. I'm not sure the OP is still posting here.

• plllog
    3 years ago

Lizbeth, the current discussion starts with Barbara who wants a recipe from a particular edition of BH&G, plus some digressions. That's whom Carol was referring to.

FOAS, I get it now about the brand of flour, but scaling a commercial recipe is tricky. You can start with any good pizza recipe, just as well, and adapt it to suit your flour. Either way, you'll probably need to adjust a bit.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Now I see several members provided this back then:

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

I am so happy that this thread was revived. I am hoping that one of the recipes shared will be what my mother used to make. Her bread was so delicious. My sister and I have tried for years to duplicate it. Thanks to all. I sure wish Grainlady would join us again; she was was knowledgeable and willing to share her knowledge.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    3 years ago

carolb, that's the exact recipe in my BH&G cookbook from the early 70's. I've made it many times.

• Barbara Bodager
    3 years ago

thanks everyone for looking for me. I'm starting to wonder if I dreamed the name of the recipe!

• plllog
    3 years ago

Barbara, I've done a lot of bread searches, and found some interesting archives, lots of recipes of people's own childhood breads, but no clues about yours. What concerns me is the "My". The following words could actually say something like "Molly Jones shares her mother's famous egg bread." Otherwise, to me it seems more logical that it was your mother who said it, maybe even wrote it in the book. But it could be either way.

My BH&G is newer than your mom's, but still old.

There's one recipe called Egg Bread:

6.5-7.5 c. AP flour

2 packets ADY (equals 2 cakes fresh yeast, equals 4.5 tsp ADY)

2 c. milk

1/4 c. sugar

1/4 c. butter or margarine [N.B.--it does matter which for the texture, but either will make good bread.]

2 tsp. salt

3 eggs

Two loaves, double rise, 375° F. 35-40 min., cover with foil last 15 minutes so it doesn't over brown.

This is a very standard enriched bread. If you want a picture of the recipe with full directions let me know.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Walnut Creek - are you formerly gilmoregal?

And I'm wondering if butter was the shortening used for that most delicious bread? When I make homestyle breads, I always use butter - esp. for greasing the pans.

Butter makes everything better, IMO.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

Carol: No, I'm not formerly gilmoregal (wish I had thought of that as a name). I will post the recipe I used if you like. It did have vegetable oil in it.

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

I would suspect - because it happened on my GP farm where I spent much time in my youth - that the 'shortening' was most likely lard ...

• plllog
    3 years ago

My mother's challah can be made with margarine or vegetable shortening (challah is traditionally non-dairy), but I've tried making it with butter and it's not good. Butter is a wondrous thing, but not universal. :)

FWIW, Barbara didn't mention shortening or fat other than the egg.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living