SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madsquopper

How do you estimate amount of detergent for FL?

madsquopper
15 years ago

I'm having a heck of a time dealing with the "smelly clothes" problem with my somewhat new Duet Sport washer. Via various experimentation and reading the board, I'm convinced it's a "detergent residue" problem of incomplete rinsing out.

The machine apparently calculates the amount of water to use based on load size. Am I correct in assuming that when the cycle is over, if the small amount of water left under the gasket has any suds, then I probably used too much detergent? I'm currently using powdered Tide HE with a bit of Borax added to try and help the smell issue. It's only a few of the "thicker" clothes that have the problem and I'd like to figure out some way to prevent the smell in one cycle.

If I immediately re-run the clothes a second time (hot wash) with just straight water that seems to mostly solve it, but I'd only want to do that as a last resort. Unfortunately I didn't realize that the Sport can only use cold water for the rinse, since I think that a warm water rinse would help.

Comments or suggestions? I'm hoping that if I can figure out the "minimum" detergent to use, possibly coupled by the extra rinse option, that will solve the problem.

Larry

Comments (7)