SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westsider40

Terried- gc contract, hourly? complicated?

westsider40
14 years ago

I met with a gc a couple of days ago for a kitchen remodel. He is very nice, intelligent, has references, altho still unchecked, and was recommended by the custom cab maker. He and the cab maker have worked on many jobs together. He spent more than three hours in my house. The cab maker was recommended by a gw-er who built a gorgeous, big house in a nearby suburb-and he did all the cabs in her house. Photos of beautiful cabs. I'm confident that cabs would be great. So far, so good.

I am terrified of screwing up. I'm hyperventilating, having palpitations. I am a retired paralegal and know the importance of a 'proper' contract and b/c of this and some underlying angst, I don't want to mess up. Old professionalism, I suppose. I've read posts about contracts, liens, horror tales, multi$$$ losses, fraud, fee based, etc., and I don't want to learn about this. I feel it would take me months to do a good job in analyzing a contract. Dh and ds are both lawyers but I cannot bother them with this. Too busy and not their specialties. Dh says just get it done-he doesn't care one whit about any kitchen decision. I understand. In my head, keep repeating, I know that you don't have to be a paralegal to get a new kitchen.

The gc said he charges by the hour and he showed me a sample contract which consisted of about seven typed lines. I laughingly said I'd like a longer contract. Even if it would be more hours than he would estimate, it would still be fine, reasonable (I hope).

I am so tempted to just go to the upscale, expensive kitchen store (brick/mortar)and not be responsible.

Dh and I are very frugal. We love the thrill of the deal, are good shoppers and it would bother me A LOT to pay 10-15k more than necessary. But I can do it, I just don't want to. But I can't stand this anxiety and fear,

Hourly for a GC? Or just go to the kitchen store and buy a kitchen?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!