SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhome410

Sharing Frig/Frzer cabinets...Thanks Trailrunner

rhome410
15 years ago

Another step toward finishing our kitchen. I hope you don't mind the post-as-we-go sharing...

Inspired by Trailrunner's cabinetry around her all-fridge and all-freezer, we now have ours completed (not counting top trim, as always). It's such an improvement over the 9 months of having the appliances free-standing...scooting around so they were never quite lined up, and with junk piled on top. It's also nice to have my cookbooks off my counter. Along the sides we had just enough room for narrow cabinets-- one for broom and dustpan, and the other for the folded step ladder.

Before:

Now:

Closeups of side cabs, closed and the step-stool storage opened:

Thanks for letting me show-off, and thanks again, Trailrunner, for the inspiration that changed my original cabinet idea from mundane into a wonderful spot for my cookbook library. (I need more to fill the gaps!) :-)

Comments (18)

• User
    15 years ago

WOW !! That looks great ! Ya'll are doing such a wonderful job. I like the 2 shelves and the storage on the sides. My step ladder is tucked in next to the big sink in the sunroom. Not near as neat as your area. I have "stuff" in my closed cabs above the shelves LOL. Nope I am not going to show what it looks like !

WOW again...I can't wait till it is all done. you are so welcome. c

• rhome410
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Caroline, the top shelves are actually 2 ft deep, because I was planning to do doors, like on yours. But my top section isn't very tall, and I get more cookbook room, while also not having to buy the doors! Win, win. :-)

(My 'stuff' was divided between the pantry, the tippy top shelves of my very tall upper wall cabinets in the kitchen, and the Goodwill or garbage!)

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

rhome... what a brilliant use of a thin space! There's so much I've learned from watching you and others. Yet another idea to put in my bank! Looks great... congrats to both you and your DH. Diligence and patience pays off... and that's another hard lesson I'm learning.

• User
    15 years ago

Yes mine is full depth too. It is empty where the cookbooks are . The doors actually only hide all the picnic supplies. We do church picnics in the summer so that everyone can swim and play . I have all these plates etc that we use then since we are "green" and don't do throw away anymore.
    I just love your area. I need to pretty mine up now with bowls etc . c

• rhome410
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Remodelfla. Use every inch and helps to have a handy and skilled DH to build things!

Great minds think alike, Trailrunner. ;-) It was picnic supplies that were supposed to go in the top spot of mine, too! Now most of it is next door, above the microwave.

Here's a closer look at the storage...You can see the different depths, and that I can 'double park' serveware up on top.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

WOW!! very very clever. Everything is looking so good. Thanks for sharing.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Looks fabulous!!! Terrific use of space!!! I really like how you the inside of the cabs are off center to eachother.

• User
    15 years ago

rhome we must be sisters! I have that cake plate...the chinois....the Betty Crockers....OK I will work on mine. You have been a great inspiration. c

• megradek
    15 years ago

absolutely ingenious!!!!!!!! looks fantastic.

• shelly_k
    15 years ago

Looks great!!

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

That is impressive. It really makes a big difference as well to how finished the room looks. That is my one regret - no bookshelves in the kitchen.

• rhome410
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone! It is just nice to have the area look so clean and organized. (I can go there and stand when everything else around me is anything but! ;-D )

Trailrunner-- :-) I'd never dreamed of being able to be an inspiration to you when you are the inspiration queen around here! I'm always glad if I can be of help to anyone, but especially to someone so helpful to everyone else, including me.

• budgeteer_s
    15 years ago

That's a fabulous looking library over the all fridge/freezer. And the narrow closet for brooms and step ladder is genius. I can see you put a lot of thoughts into planning your kitchen.

• morton5
    15 years ago

It turned out great! You are lucky to have a husband who could make your vision a reality. I would love to have had a step stool cupboard, but I didn't think my carpenter would be able to pull off the modifications to the Ikea parts to make it happen and still look well. How wonderful to have your step stool and cookbooks so handy. I love how books warm up a space.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

What a perfect space for step ladder and broom. I think the
    varied depths and off centered divider works really well. I
    just love to see your kitchen period!
    vic

• rhome410
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to all. The books do liven and warm up the place.

If you have painted or natural wood cabinets, so you can easily match your cabinet, Morton5, the narrow cabinets are pretty easy. The doors are pretty simply made out of a 1x6. I've seen some pretty amazing things done with IKEA cabinets. Did you see those pullout broom storage units on IKEA Fans? I might've done something like that, but our space was too narrow.

• User
    15 years ago

Just checking back...not to put too fine a point on it...but rhome ya'll are doing this all yourselves...you are awesome....I could NEVER in a million years do what you have done. Never. I stand in awe. I paid $$$ to have what you were able to put together as a family with love and work.

Make no mistake I love my kitchen and use it HARD ! But you woman are AMAZING. I am just so glad that we have both ends of the spectrum...people with ideas and people that can DO !! We are all GOOD !! c

• rhome410
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am just very thankful to have a DH (and now some DS's) who can do, and the rest of us help. I am the design (or "I want...") end of the team and he makes it happen. What's nice is that I think I have the good end of the arrangement, and he thinks he does!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm