SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rednellie

Velvet on a Chair?

redbazel
15 years ago

Long about 1996, I found this very cool (bergere?) chair at a used furniture store for $65.

Well, I'm finally going to have it reupholstered and the woodwork refinished a bit. I'm fighting family on this one, because my DD likes the woodwork just as it is and she loves the scratchy old rust-colored fabric too. The back looks like a cat went wild! Anyway, I have long planned to use a muted paisley fabric, maybe in some brick or coral colorway, but right now, I'm thinking of doing a very soft solid, either a chenille or a velvet type upholstery fabric. The chair doesn't get a lot of use because of it's position next to the television armoire, so, while I want something durable and not prone to staining or easily stressed from the occasional Dachshund Frenzied Rolling....it doesn't need to be bullet-proof. Would a Velvet work, do you think? And what color? The fabrics I saw on my initial scanning at JoAnns didn't grab me, even though they are doing a 50% off sale this week, even on Special Order.

Here's the general layout. This old photo shows the living room with the former red rug.....you'll just have to picture the chair on the left side of the black armoire where the plant is in the photo.

The drapes are a bronzey green, the sofa is moss green, the walls are (Baby Turtle BM) sage green, the rug is the one in the chair photo, kind of a beige-to-sage ground, and the recliner is brown.

Velvet? Can I have velvet? And what color?

Red

Comments (34)

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

Hi Red,

There's a new velvet (microplush velvet) that is totally immune to everything. I have it on a dining bench and have gotten marker, chocolate, anything off it. So yes, you can have velvet. And the fabric is so very soft -- my kids all want to sleep on the kitchen bench. :-)

If you want to do chenille, then it would work too. A textured chenille? :-)

• Related Discussions

Anyone have Como Velvet? Happy?

Q

Comments (1)
    I've used it and like it. It's a lighter-to-midweight upholstery fabric. There are thicker cotton velvets, but they are correspondingly more expensive. I did a chair in it that's held up nicely, even being one of the cats' favorite napping spot. This line has a very wide selection of colors, so it's a good chance you'll find exactly the color you need.
    ...See More

Dining Chair advice.

Q

Comments (1)
    Have you checked out Kartell maybe a red Ghost type chair. Hard to say without seeing the whole space and the rooms next to it.
    ...See More

Dining Chair dilemma- help

Q

Comments (5)
    Hmm . . . I like this table, too, and while velvet chairs are featured with it on West Elm, the fact that you have 2 other velvet seating pieces, I would say no. I think a different texture would bring more depth - perhaps even a leather or pleather option. Here is a link to Houzz' contemporary dining chairs: [https://www.houzz.com/products/contemporary-dining-room-chairs-prbr1-br~t_969~s_2103[(https://www.houzz.com/products/contemporary-dining-room-chairs-prbr1-br~t_969~s_2103)
    ...See More

Do I use the same colour or or a complimentary colour between rooms?

Q

Comments (1)
    There is no reason your sofa need match dining chairs. You can tie ANY two rooms together via rugs, art, fabric, a mix of textures as well. A dark painted room is almost always better with lighter upholstery, but there are very intentional, wonderful exceptions....... You are literally talking about a palette of "stones on a shoreline". Do they all match? Nope.....and some are very smooth and shiny, others are rough and have more texture. The same applies to ROOMS,,,,, and especially those that are very neutral. Metal, wood, paint, wool, linen, silk, velvet, sisal, fur, woven, hides, leather........ etc. It is in the mix, dear. It is quite literally that in any style ......
    ...See More
  • suero
    15 years ago

My DIL's grandmother's chair is upholstered in a cotton velvet. I don't think the chair was ever reupholstered, and it's many, many years old. A good cotton velvet can wear very well.

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

Velvet would be lovely. I was just looking at velvets at Denver Fabrics yesterday, planning to unholster a wing back chair in our guest room. They have some lovely upholstery velvets on their site that are very affordable. You might want to look there for your fabric.

Here is a link that might be useful: Denver fabrics velvet

• susie100
    15 years ago

I wish I had done this before I had two chairs reupholstered in a fabric I HHHHAAAATTTTTEEEEEEE!!!!! I wish I had gone to Pottery Barns or Norwalk furniture website where you can pick sofas or chairs similar to what you want to recover or buy, then pick from hundreds of fabrics to see what it would look like. I would have saved myself hundreds of dollars and lots of regret.

• redbazel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the good commentary. I do like the look of velvet in this room.
    Susie, I'm going to try the website and take a look at the plan. I also checked out the Denver fabrics site listed by Nanny2a.

I went to my decorator fabric store, (the yummy one that is only decorator fabrics and gorgeous accessories) and checked out half a dozen fabric samples. They come in 1/2 yard pieces. I was disappointed that there were few in the paprika/brick colorways, and the one I did love wasn't available in a sample, so I just got them to cut a smidgeon for me. I may have to go back and buy a little. It depends. I asked one of the decorators about the velvet and they were reluctant to endorse it with Pawing-Crazed animals. Plus, they had it in reds (don't want to go red) browns that I didn't like, and then.........the greens. Why can I not move away from more green? I checked out a sample in a kiwi shade. You can see it in the last photo draped over the back of the chair.

But when I got home and tried the samples, I happened to think about some fabric I bought months ago to do some antique shield-back chairs. It's brown with other colors, some paprika, etc. It's a tough fabric and I have enough. So I draped that. Keep in mind that the natural light I had for the photo was about the most I get in here. This room is fairly dark most of the time.

So.......

Red

Here is a link that might be useful: Click on this and next two shots..........

• twizzis
    15 years ago

I was just about to say that not all velvets are the same and to keep in mind you already have a solid sofa, then I click on your proposed fabric and loved it. It's a larger scale design and believe it will look lovely.

• suero
    15 years ago

Schumacher has a 100% cotton velvet in paprika. Don't know how much it is per yard, but I'll bet it's more than the $6/yard I paid (I can't count that high) years ago.

• redbazel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, DD just got home from lunch (and finding a great pair of cords on sale at Ann Taylor for $8) and I made her come look at all my samples. If I love it, she gags. If I wouldn't get it on a bet, she rhapsodizes. She cannot bear the velvet because she says our animals will do something awful to it and it looks blah with the rest of the room. (I still think it's elegant. But I have an aging mind.)

So, she hates the beige and the gold chenilles. She gags at the one kiwi cut chenille that I kind of secretly liked. She yawns at the velvet. And the one paprika piece that I found, (she wanted rust or brick or paprika) she hated. However........the brown fabric in my photo got two thumbs up. She even loved it with the wine silk pillow. The other one she also loved I forgot to show you. So here...

Here is a link that might be useful: This is something called Catherine in Nutmeg

• myredhouse
    15 years ago

I think I like the Catherine in Nutmeg.

I love velvet, (and most of my house is currently shades of solid greens too), but unless it really is just a show piece I'd probably go with something else in a print to mix it up. Great find with the chair though! It's going to look great with almost anything you choose.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

My problem with the patterns is that they make the beautiful wood work disappear. I'd much rather see a patterned (burn out is I believe the term I'm looking for) velvet on that gorgeous piece.

My velvet stories...
    I have this chair that I've carried around for decades (literally). It's rather battered and needs some serious work but I just love the wood carving, the brass nail heads, etc. I've never taken it to anyone who could give me a real idea of its age/worth/etc. but to me it looks quite old. Back when I first got it, it was my cat's favorite bed/throne/hangout spot. While he managed to fray the trim bits (ribbon-looking stuff) under the nail heads, the gorgeous velvet still looks amazing. From the scratchiness I've always thought it was wool but that's just my guess.

Also, my mom had a set of orange velvet chairs that she bought for our living room back when I was a wee one. These were basic, standard-issue pieces from Levitz. As they were in the living room they didn't see a ton of use of course but they did see kids climbing all over them as well as various and sundry pets. When I left for college they were still in great shape.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I love the lines of the chair and the brown paisley fabric you put on it, though I think pbrisjar has a point about it deemphasizing the beautiful carved wood work. What were you thinking of doing to the wood--just touching it up a bit or something more extensive? I think a RAF type product would work well. I am a firm believer in at least conditioning/treating the wood anytime you do any reupholstery, but nothing to take away the patina of the old wood.

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

I really love your chair. I would do it in velvet & mix up w/ different pattern. maybe a stripe outside, damask print in the inside, or damask print outside, solid velvet inside. That chair wants to be special.

I am not crazy a/b that nutmeg pattern. I think it doesn't go well w/ the rug (just my opinion).

I'm thinking of something like these (only the designs, not the color)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

and maybe some fabric similar to these ---

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Just throwing it out there for you to consider. :-)

• sc_irish
    15 years ago

I'd love to consider myself as young as your SIL, (cough, cough) but I fully agree with her. I really like the patterned fabric you have. Keep in mind the way you have it tucked around the chair, naturally the wood is covered, but once it's done, the wood will shine!! (Well, not literally...you know what I mean). Plus the pattern gives just the right touch of 'punch' to your already pretty room.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Red, your chair is so much like my chair and sofa, I'd love to know what the style is called and an approximate year.

I had velvet I put on them for years and it wore like iron and I had as many as 6 dogs at a time, all jumping up on it. I dunno the content -- just something I got at Joann's off a table. It was like dusty rose, but it was more a peach tone and it had a little striation in it.

I really like Bellaflora's suggestion and her pictures.

Right now mine are done in mohair velvet... I got a deal on it on eBay. You can buy whatever fabric you wish and take it to an upholsterer -- you don't have to buy from them.

If I love it, she gags. If I wouldn't get it on a bet, she rhapsodizes.

That's her job, ya know. Teenagers realize they will soon have to go out on their own. In order to do that, they must have an identity of their own, and it can't be your identity. So you say up, they say down. You say left, they say right. And so on. Relax, mom -- she's right on track. Ignore her. If you like the velvet, get velvet!!

• oceanna
    15 years ago

You will need about 6 yards to do that chair. Are you doing it yourself?

Here is a link that might be useful: eBay velvet upholstery fabric

• User
    15 years ago

Red, in case you are still reading this thread...I bought an almost-identical chair on Craigslist for about $45 and had it reupholstered. I chose cotton velvet with a little bit of polyester mixed in. I find cotton velvet to be durable and easy to keep clean (young kids and dog). I chose a plain velvet so I could change out the pillows easily. My lamp throws a funny bluish light, the velvet is actually more green than its showing in these pics.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

But when I got home and tried the samples, I happened to think about some fabric I bought months ago to do some antique shield-back chairs. It's brown with other colors, some paprika, etc. It's a tough fabric and I have enough. So I draped that. Keep in mind that the natural light I had for the photo was about the most I get in here. This room is fairly dark most of the time.

So.......

Red

LOVE THE FABRIC ON THAT CHAIR AND THE DARKER, BOLDER FABRIC WILL ENHANCE THE WOOD. Lighter colors tend to look pale and make the wood look pale but bolder, richer colors make the wood look richer.

• frenchdressing
    15 years ago

Velvet works and wears well. You can also use a cutout velvet design too.

I think the autumnal colors you have work well. Maybe try a burnt orange, or golden rod yellow or even an eggplant velvet.

A chair can carry its own unique color easier than a couch.

• redbazel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for more help. I've been checking out fabric samples/draping all week after work. Yesterday I got more. The link shows a nice oak brown velvet I really like. It's more money than I wanted to pay, but I may have to up the ante to get what's in my head.
    1. Oak brown velvet all over? (You DO have the same chair Jenny, and I LOVE yours!)
    2. Mixed with the paisley, Oak velvet on frame only... a la' Belle's beautiful pictures?
    3. Red velvet (or chenille?) as French suggested using a more intense colored fabric?
    3. Brown Paisley only (this is THE vote by DD and DH) with Patricia's comments well in my mind)

The least expensive option is buying 3 more yards of the brown paisley. My Upholstery guy is going to do the work, replace the foam, and do a little refinish on the wood carving work for $250. Or, I could buy the 3 yards in the velvet and use that for the frame, (front as I have it draped, sides, and back)
    I've been checking out Oceanna's link to velvets on Ebay too, but would really like to see colors in person, so I keep hitting my decorator fabric store and looking in their books. And BTW, the decorator also suggested the mixed fabrics look for this style chair. She cautioned me, however.....
    ....that it ONLY works well in a room where the furniture and fabrics don't match. I guess I have THAT caveat covered since nothing matches anywhere in my house except a couple of bedroom lamps!

Red

Here is a link that might be useful: Again---the Chair!

• redbazel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oceanna, I don't know if you saw my question (on a crushed velvet thread I think?) about your mohair velvet on your beautiful sofa......I wondered which Ebay seller you got your velvet from if you remember? I've been checking the auctions. I love the Oak color I show in the photo, but it's really more than I want to pay.

Red

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

I didn't read all of the replies, so hopefully I'm not too redundant.
    I may be going against popular consensus (because I didn't read them all!) but I LOVE the print you "forgot" about and put on there, and I really love it with the wine pillow. I think it just oozes "rich". I think it would make a statement all on it's own, over in the corner. :o)

The velvets are nice, but I REALLY love the patterned fabric. Great chair. Can't wait to see what you choose!

• redbazel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Totallyblessed, I thank you for your vote. This fabric is the favorite of the Red household by a mile......except for Red who is still dreaming of velvet.

• ttodd
    15 years ago

Cannot recommend velvet enough for durability! If you can find an inexpensive man made all the better! My upholsterer recommended man-made velvet for some chairs since I have 3 kids 5yrs and younger. Prices per yard were extremely reasonable. I have a custom man-made velvet sofa that has held up amazingly well at 10+ yrs. Pet vomit, kid vomit, pet pee, every drink and food spill imaginable and the fabric still looks really good.

• redbazel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So.......after waaaaay too much worrying and questioning and fabric-sampling, I bought a velvet off Ebay! It was a little scary, paying $23 a yard for something I couldn't touch and see in person, but it is super nice. It's a mohair velvet in a brown, kind of a mocha......not nearly as grey-looking as it appears in my photo. Maybe I can get a pic without flash in the day time. The guy who did the chair did a self piping and a little light refinishing on the chair wood. It looks really lovely to us. Hope you like it. Mabel is undecided but definitely did NOT like posing for this photo. She prefers the couch!

{{!gwi}}

Red

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Oh, it looks so cozy and understatedly elegant. Good job! Thanks to Mabel for being such a good model.

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

O.M.G. Mabel is so darn cute I forgot a/b your chair for a moment.

Love the chair & I think you picked the best fabric. It looks so beautiful against that draperies you got there.

• User
    15 years ago

I really like the chair. The wood looks much richer also.

Mabel is adorable!

• zipdee
    15 years ago

Love the velvet on your chair, it looks beautiful! Great re-do.
    Mabel is a doll! :) I had a daschund growing up, picked him out for my 10th birthday, he was a wonderful dog.

• tammy518
    15 years ago

I love the fabric you chose. Velvet is one of my favorite fabrics for upholstery. Mabel is a cutie too!

• saltnpeppa
    15 years ago

Oh, Red that looks gorgeous!! Beautiful & classy! Neutral enough to be able to tote around to other rooms when you feel like rearranging - just perfect.

Smiles:)

PS. I love weinee dogs and yours is a cutie:) My little shih tzu is currently playing with neighbors weinee, his BFF - they are a hoot! (His real name is Harley but I can't help but to call him weinee:)

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I love your new recovered chair and we can see it's pup approved and certified. Isn't it funny how they have to be the first to try out our new things? LOL

I have 2 chairs to recover and haven't even started the difficult process of finding someone to do the job. Can you tell me how you found your person and would you mind terribly telling how much it cost to have it recovered? If you don't want to say, I understand. Thanks

• redbazel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys! Mabel won't say thank you because she knows she's cute. She will be 11 in May. She is the adored companion (both are fixed!) of BabySaw......our chi-weinie. He thinks she is the Bomb.

I put her there so you can see the difference between her red brown and the chair's greyer brown.

I found the upholstery guy many years ago when I was looking at decorator fabric in a shop and asked for a recommendation. He used to do it for a living, now he does it as a sideline. He's a flake, but he has always come through for me and is reasonable. Funny thing about the chair. About 8-10 years ago, I got him to give me an estimate while I was getting another chair done. He said $395 (my own fabric) and that included the slight refinish on the woodwork. Well, last year he estimated some dining chairs for me at $50 each. I passed. Last month, knowing people are out of work and scrounging, I called him. He did the chair for $250 (my fabric) and estimated the dining chairs at $30 each. So I may have them done too.
    Get an estimate. You may be surprised. People want work.

Red

• User
    15 years ago

Sorry to resurrecte an old post, but I missed this photo. I just wanted to say to Red, if you are still reading, your chair turned out great! The fabric looks expensive so you did well at ~$20 a yard.