SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kate1234_gw

Need help with lighting design (drawing included)

kate1234
17 years ago

{{gwi:1997353}}

This is a remodel - we are leaving the 8' plaster ceiling intact. Above the ceiling is unfinished attic with insulation. The plaster walls are mostly being replaced with drywall. We are in the second half-century of life and find we have the dual problems of needing lots of light to see well, but that we are ultra-sensitive to glare. It is already a given that every single light switch will have a dimmer on it. I am really having trouble sorting out which choices have more glare or less.

The parts I have figured out so far:

In the entry way by the front door lower left corner, I already have a flush-mounted fixture that nicely shines light into the coat closet, on the stairs, and into the opening to the living room. I will replace it with something that is about the same - three 60-watt regular lightbulbs.

I will add a recessed light of some unknown diameter over the stairs going down as they are now dark. This will also light the stairs going up but those stairs are also adequately taken care of by a fixture on the upstairs landing (these are both half-staircases).

In the little niche that is in the archway from the foyer to the living room, I need something appropriate to spotlight the urn that I will keep there - or possibly a vase of flowers if I have some. So I could use recommendations - in particular if it gets too hot any flowers would wilt sooner. This will be on a dimmer.

Moving up the hall, I will have a recessed light in between the pantries on each side. I expect one light there should do it.

The living room with its desk/mail center and piano, will have lighting by lamps only.

The kitchen remains a puzzle. I will have under-cabinet lighting, and I prefer the kinds where the transformer is in the box with the lights, rather than elsewhere. I haven't heard any reason not to use xenon bar lights, so speak up if you have any advice here.

Notice that we have a 6' bay window where the counter runs out into the bay. The sink is to the right of this bay and we will have a pretty long stretch of counter that is the main prep area and that has no under-cabinet lighting. One suggestion was to put two lights here, on a separate switch that is controlled to the right of the sink - by the garbage disposal switch. I think that's a fine idea but am unclear about the exact placement (over the sink which would be 12" from the wall and 12" in from the counter? at the edge of the counter?). And what size can should this be? I have the feeling that these could be more intense than the other cans in the room since they are task lighting.

Actually, a bigger question is how do people choose what size cans to get? The whole area of recessed lighting baffles me. I have had no luck with local lighting places - I have tried four and am still confused about how to get adequate light in the right places.

I am thinking about putting a can in front of each of the four cabinet areas (these should go right on the edge of the counter, right?) but I see a conflict between the one to the right of the range and the pair in the bay, which are possibly set further away from the counter edge. I sure could use some help with this part.

I am not planning to have anything special lighting the refrigerator - just the ambient light from the room plus the interior lights of the fridge. Should this be okay?

I want light from the two closest cans to the dining room to spill under that 9" soffit to help light the dining room. I am not planning a hanging fixture over the dining table - the room is so small and there are only three of us, so I am planning to keep the table pushed up to just 20" from the dining cabinets. The table will be used for homework and games as well as eating. Then once or twice a year when we have company and want to accommodate more people, I will pull the table away from the wall. I am thinking that a hanging fixture will just get in the way and make us bonk our heads. So my plan is to put small recessed lights with maybe MR16 bulbs directly over the usual location of the table. The table would usually be about 6' long so I am currently thinking about 3 lights in a row. I am worried that the room will still be too dark.

The dining room cabinets have glass doors and I am planning puck lights in the top. Are there choices to be made here or are they all the same? And the same undercabinet lights that are in the kitchen I would put in the dining room, although I would think about putting very short strips here - this is more accent lighting than task lighting and so doesn't have to be as bright as in the kitchen.

So you can see that I have gotten part way but I still feel like I am lost. Thoughts? Advice?

Comments (5)