SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smilesesq

Help a newbie: how do I even ask the right questions?

smiles33
10 years ago

We recently purchased a vacation home that was foreclosed, so the previous owners stripped many things, including every light fixture that wasn't recessed. I have either blue plate covers or a basic base with an exposed bare bulb (likely installed by the real estate agent?) in every room.

I've managed to purchase fixtures for the bathrooms (we really needed more light in there and I got clearance items on Bellacor) but I don't have the foggiest idea how to figure out what to put elsewhere. I'm guessing they had a chandelier in the center of the dining room, but what was over the kitchen sink? A pendant light? A flush mount light? What was near the entrance to the master bedroom, less than 2 feet from 3 recessed can lights?

Also, there are several recessed can lights in the hallways, but there's one fixture that looks like a can light was there (round hole, recessed) but 2 wires dangling down to a base that the bare bulb hangs down from. Did they remove one recessed can light and then change their mind? Or was that a different fixture? I'm leaning toward the latter, since that one fixture is on its own switch. There's another one that looks like this in the den and one in the master bedroom.

Here's a photo of the master bedroom, with its dangling bare bulb and a blue cover plate near the door:

I tried to go on Houzz but the homes there seem "over-the-top" and I'm looking more for something practical and budget-friendly. Can you help me figure out what questions I should be answering and/or how to approach this daunting task?

I'm not quite sure how to describe the home's architectural style. It's a single story "ranch" home with 2 gables with an open floor plan. While this was the previous owners' full-time home, it's a weekend home for us so I'm not looking to invest in the "perfect" replacement for all the missing items. I'd like functional, durable replacements that offer good value. I'm not looking for the cheapest items as I don't want to worry about maintenance/replacement. I'd say my style is pretty traditional/conservative, so I'm not a fan of the more trendy/avant garde stuff.

Thank you!

Comments (7)