SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northlut

Truly dimmable LED recessed floods

Northlut
11 years ago

I recently bought a single Ecosmart LED flood for my house as a test (I have over 40 recessed lights in my house, so I needed to start small). Overall, I've been pretty disappointed with it. There are a few problems, but the biggest by far is the behavior with a dimmer. The box claimed it is dimmable, and technically it is, but it works very poorly. There are three problems:

1. It makes an audible buzzing when it's dimmed. I have some rooms with 6 lights on the same circuit, where it would be incredibly annoying. Even with 1, I can hear it from several feet away.
2. The dimming isn't linear, and seems to have discrete steps. Switching between 60% and 80% provides virtually no visible difference (whereas with incandescents, the difference is clear).
3. It doesn't respond immediately to either dimming or turning on or off, so you don't really get any feedback on where you've dimmed to. If you want to do anything other than 100% or 0%, you have to dim a bit, wait a second for it to catch up, then dim some more, and repeat until you reach the level you want.

The vast majority of the cans in our house are on dimmers tied into our Control4 home automation system, and we do use the dimming quite a bit in several of the rooms, so it's really important to us that we find lights that will dim properly. It would cost me well over $1000 to switch them all out, and I'm not prepared to do it unless I can find LEDs that work well.

(FWIW, I'm also not terribly thrilled with the light quality from the LED vs. incandescent, but at least it's better than CFL, which I despise...).

Comments (22)