SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
guyinacoldhouse

Cost of a metal box and why metal?

guyinacoldhouse
17 years ago

I need a box to accept return air from my ducts and direct it into the bottom of my new air handler. I called a sheet metal shop and they told me they could build it for me, they want me to come over with a drawing with measurements so they can give me an estimate. That seems reasonable. However I have no idea what something like that should cost. Can someone give me a hint? I think it will be about the size of a cedar chest, 20" X 20" by 48" or so. It will have a round hole on the left side, a large square hole on the left half for ducts from above and a square hole on the right half for the input to the bottom of the air handler. The ah weighs about 150lbs so it has to be strong enough to hold that.

I am also wondering why these things are not made out of wood. Is there a reason this could not be made out of wood? I have no A/C or heat pump right now so there would be no condensate problem and the heat goes out the top so there would be no fire hazard, or maybe there is? I am good with wood, not so good with metal, I could make the box in a couple hours with wood, a couple weeks with metal.

Comments (15)