SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soshh

Vintage with a twist, Gettysburg gray, stainless and red AGA

soshh
11 years ago

After years of discussions and years of remodeling, the kitchen in my 100 year old eclectic/arts and crafts/Victorian home is almost done.

We have been in the house over six years, and waited a bit before we startled tackling projects. Our first major remodeling was the master suite, which included swapping the space where a closet led to a bathroom (now a bathroom leads to a small walk in closet/dressing room, and there are two other closets in the space. This project also included remodeling a hall bath, and converting a large open living space into a front parlor and adjoining dining room, separated by bookcases (on the dining room side).

We had planned a large addition but scaled back a bit. We let the architecture of the house help guide us to create a home with great flow that didn't feel too different than the original, even though it is.

The large room that was the dining room faces west, and has an adjacent butler's pantry. We added a sink and additional base cabinet to the pantry to allow it to function as a kitchen while we remodeled. (Where we now have a beverage fridge we had moved our old dishwasher). The original dining room was about 14x20 with an alcove of 4 windows that faced west. The rear of the dining room had one window, and a solid wall behind which was wasted space. This wasted space is now a bright family room, approx 14x15. We kept window sizes close to the original windows and added a gas fireplace, tiled with slate cut to look like roman brick and designed the mantle to match the mantle we put in the front parlor.

Where the four window alcove was, is now two windows with a large hood, designed to look like a mantle, in the center. Two French doors were added to a new deck that spans the length of the house and connects a sunroom to the yard. The ten foot alcove houses approx 3 feet of cabinet space on each side of a claret red Aga 6-4. The backsplash and over mantle were tiles with slate, to look similar to the fireplaces. Decorative cement tile and black mosaic tiles form a medallion, making this the focal point of the kitchen. The rest of the kitchen is housed in a large island, about 42 inches by 10 feet. On each short end are drawers made to look like a dresser, 42 inches high. These raised areas connect with three wide drawers with stools beneath, plenty of room for four stools. The opposite side of the island is counter height and houses a double basin sink and two dishwashers. The sink is stainless and integrated seamlessly into a stainless counter with marine edge. The refrigerator and freezer are housed in alcoves in a wide arched space between the kitchen and family room. They are only steps from the prep space but hidden from view of the front door.

We had a party with about 30 guests and as expected, almost everyone was in the kitchen. There is about 5 feet of space behind the stools where right now we just have a moveable bar cart and hung some vintage shelves. We could add shallow cabinets here to store food or other items, but the main kitchen has space for everyday dishes and utensils and all cooking supplies. The butler's pantry functions as a bar, snack bar, coffee bar and holds extra dishes, glasses and food.

The awkward bump out that housed the original kitchen was knocked down to the foundation and added onto. The total addition was about 25 feet wide, the width of the house, and 8 feet deep.

Where the original kitchen was, behind the butler's pantry, is now a hallway that has doors to a powder room and the laundry/mud room which leads to a back door and small back porch, right off the driveway.

The new layout is very flexible. The family room could easily be turned into a dining room. The front parlor and dining room can function as a larger living space. The sunroom is now being used as a living room but could be a study or playroom.

Comments (59)

• soshh
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Backsplash detail

• deedles
    11 years ago

What a beautiful, awesome, warm, lovely space! The lights are excellent, backsplash tile is beautiful, love the pantry! (just a little jealous there). Those shelves, while very nice, look kind of itty bitty in the rest of that grandeur. Wouldn't it be great if you could locate a pair of old tall skinny cupboards to flank that doorway?

The trim around the windows and doors is just gorgeous. Love the color on the wall in the pantry, too. Sumptuous is the word.

• Related Discussions

Stainless Steel, black, white- do we need more options?

Q

Comments (42)
    Glad my comments helped although I wish the SS/white option was available now since I need appliances now. It's always puzzled me that it hasn't been more readily (Viking and American Range ranges come in white/SS but that's about it I think). It's not something new - look to the vintage ranges with their white/chrome mix. Classic finishes and yet it would be right at home in today's kitchens. I'm not sure what you mean by matte silver. Aren't some companies already doing this? I think they call it titanium or platinum or something along that line. Or do you mean a brighter, lighter finish than that? I'd like that. Some of the gray tones I've seen are awfully dull and on the dark side, at least to my eye. Then again, I'm not a fan of black appliances. Interesting to read that some people who have SS wish they had white. I don't think SS is a trend but I do think the huge predominance of SS in the market is a trend. I sure hope to see a swing towards more balanced options for us consumers.
    ...See More

Colors/countertop help (pics)

Q

Comments (37)
    It's a tough call because I would be choosing based on what I see on my computer monitor. My main concern is how does it look to you in all kinds of light, with your other selections and, more importantly, how will each green look on a grander scale? It can be tough to get a sense of a color's impact from relatively small sample boards. If you can, paint larger boards of each color and put them in the room. It would also be a good idea to paint more than one board of each and set them at right angles to see what happens when the color is reflected off itself. I wish I had painted larger swatches before settling on a green for my den. I liked the cheery green on the paint chip. I thought it looked good when I painted a small board of it, too. And then I painted the walls. Yikes! The color suddenly was amplified from cheery green to lime sherbet! I couldn't paint over it fast enough! My second choice was a green that looked quite gray on the chip and on my sample board but ended up looking very lovely - and not really gray at all - on the walls. True confession: greens are the toughest for me to get right. I tested 15-16 greens before finding one I liked for our bedroom. Your colors and materials are lovely, btw! So sorry to hear about your FIL's death, rhome. (((hugs)))
    ...See More

farmgirlinky kitchen before/after -- too long, too many pictures

Q

Comments (96)
    This is the kitchen that has been in my brain for at least 10 years, and here you have gone and done it perfectly!!! I'm going to Pinterest the bejebbers out of it as inspiration photos for the coming renovations (as soon as I finish all these pesty bathrooms!). Seriously, I have wanted a 4 oven Aga plus a module for ages. I already have the full 601 fridge & freezer (so a little bigger than your Subzero.) And I plan to put a big barrel hood over it all. And you have a big island with not huge aisles! And you have soapstone! I really think we're channeling the same frequencies. I'm totally in love with your butler's pantry! We didn't inherit one, but I may use the cabinet sliding door idea for the walk-thru pantry I'm planning. It solves my problem of a tight space and not really wanting all open shelves! Ok, I'm off to study this kitchen more deeply! Truly, I know this reveal is several years past now, but wow just the same! Great job! Always ;-) Hunzi
    ...See More

Color for the range-- yes or no?

Q

Comments (25)
    Thanks much! People after my own heart! I am sorely tempted by the cobalt blue range. For me, my first priority is functionality, but then I'd like to have that extra special oomph that these colored ranges seem to provide. Angie--Thanks much for the info about your hood. My kitchen is vintagy too (we had custom cabinets built to match the original 1920's type cabinets we'd salvaged from somewhere else) to go with the rest of out 1916 house. I don't even want a hood, but we'll have to figure something out. Plus, we have a very difficult layout problem for a hood, so I thought I'd ask about the hood.
    ...See More
  • soshh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The aga is the gas cooktop. I decided the smaller ovens were ideal for me. I am mostly vegetarian/pescatarian, have never cooked a turkey. I do love to cook and really like the cooktop. I also love the different ovens, the only downside I can see is that the knobs can turn easily. Not sure if they will do anything but if I bump into them I have turned them.
    Sadly I am not sure they make this anymore. I was fortunate and found a floor model and got a nice discount.

• soshh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, the shelves DO look a little petite! I found them for $10 each at an estate sale. I would love to find tall cupboards, and of course we need to add some artwork.

• soshh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, the shelves DO look a little petite! I found them for $10 each at an estate sale. I would love to find tall cupboards, and of course we need to add some artwork.
    I got some leaded glass windows that are similar to ones seen in the house and considered using them as doors on cabinets that I can have made, we just wanted to live in the space first and see if we felt we needed additional counter space or storage

• deedles
    11 years ago

You know, two sizable vertical pieces of art (pieces of art?), paintings or, oh I don't know.. but anyway... that could look fabulous there as well. Kind of like artistic sentries.

Two full suits of armor. One on each side. that's it.

I probably need to get some sleep.

Do love your kitchen, though.

• crl_
    11 years ago

So warm! You must be thrilled. Thank you for sharing!

• soshh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Details:
    cabinets are custom, JV WOODWORKING, NJ. he also made the walnut top, which needs to be redone (sizing is off). Cabinets are stained, painted Gettysburg gray, glazed with providence olive for warmth and distressed.

Counters are stainless, J&M air, Somerville, NJ.
    walnut counter, see above.

Sink, TICOR ordered from overstock. 34 inch double basin.
    Faucet: I forget which Brand, overstock.
    Insta hot and soap dispenser, found on Amazon.

Stove, AGA 6-4 in claret red.

Refrigerator and freezer, Frigidaire. We have the trim kits and need to get them installed.

Dishwashers are Bosch, cabinet front, love them so far.

Pendant lights, restoration hardware.

French doors and windows, Kolbe.

Slate was purchased as stone tile depot for fireplace, I just used the extra and purchased a few boxes of multi slate from Home Depot, cheap! Installer cut them to 1 3/4 inches to mimic the proportions of roman brick.

Cement tile is NEIBA from AVENTE TILE. colors are white, black and Indian red. The red is slightly more muted than the stove, but it works.

Black mosaic, I could only find it online at Home Depot. It's porcelain, several different textures.

Grout, natural gray.

Hardware, antique revelry, purchased from Shop4classics.com. I took a chance, wanted something ornate and curvy. Love it.

Walls and ceiling are Gettysburg gray. I wanted something atmospheric, that would not be too washed out against the wood trim, we matched the rest of the trim on the first floor. The idea was that everything was almost monochromatic, other than the stove.

• soshh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was inspired by a few kitchens seen here, like elizpiz' kitchen.
    I was also inspired by Martha Stewart's Bedford gray kitchen, although I knew I needed to use dark trim.
    I wanted the overall feeling to be very monochromatic with pops of red. White or cream would be too washed out as there is a lot of bright sunlight. The soft gray green was perfect for the space, and I used the same colors in the dining room, walls and ceiling. I tried cooler grays and they are just too cool Against the woodwork.
    Butlers pantry is I think Cromwell gray, and I used it In the stairwell and I think also in the mud room. Although the ceiling in the pantry is painted silver and the ceiling in the mud room is bright turquoise. It's a good space to have a little fun,

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Woooooooowwwwwww.
    So warm! So comfortable.
    It's so nice to see such a gorgeous, apologetically not standard white.
    I love the colors, the textures, the comfy-ness of it!
    I hope you love this for a long time. Absolutely beautiful.
    Christine

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Wow! Love the backsplash behind the stove, and for a bit, could barely notice anything else. ;-) But the lighting, the counters, your to-die-for butler's pantry, and the way it all fits into the style and feel of your home... Wonderful!

• soshh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rhome, I remember you from posting a. Few years ago.its been awhile since I've posted but wanted to share.

I really wanted the kitchen to have that older feel style wise, but have an open, contemporary floor plan.

The cement tile was SUCH a lucky find. I actually found if on Houzz after searching online for months. Took about 6 weeks to have it made And shipped.

• youngdeb
    11 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!!

• soshh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all. I love the function of it, very easy for two of us to cook together, or one to clean and one to cook. Also, the. Two level island is ideal. We served buffet style on NEw Years and it was perfect.

• soshh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Still need new stools, these are from our old house and are ready to say goodbye, and artwork...but I don't believe that can be rushed,

• justmakeit
    11 years ago

I love how this is a kitchen that can't be understood in a single glance: so unique and interesting. I spent quite a while examining each photo, taking in the finishes, the colors, and the organic way all the pieces fit together. What a wonderful, happy place! Enjoy!

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

Gosh! I have goosebumps.. This is so lovely. I love the lighting and the backspalsh tile. I would love a better picture of the concrete tile backsplash. Is it stain resistant? Where is the fireplace?

Like you, Elizpiz's kitchen is my alltime favorite and you have used your inspiration so well.

• springroz
    11 years ago

Fantastic!!!! I love everything!

Nancy

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is one of the truly best kitchens I have seen in a long time! If there were a prize of the year here on GW you would be a top contender.

• mermanmike
    11 years ago

Just wonderful!! Thanks for sharing your space. It is unique...one of those spaces where just by looking at it I feel that I know something about you. A house should do that, but its becoming rarer these days so I very much appreciate taking a look at your kitchen.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Fabulous execution, lovely space. Shows us carpetbaggers up for what we are. (Sniff sniff, some of us have feelings, y'know....).

• grlwprls
    11 years ago

Love!

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

OH the butler's pantry !!!
    and everything else....

• soshh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, I am so flattered!
    It's hard to capture the backsplash tile accurately. It keeps getting washed out.
    The fireplace is in the family room and the original one is in the front parlor. I will take a pic tomorrow.
    I wanted the space to have some of my personality, I didn't want it to be all safe choices. I feel like all the choices are pretty classic, but the backsplash, the red oven, the cabinet color and the hardware are all a little more interesting than the safest choice, but not so far from the house's style.
    Also, a big factor was the view from the front door. I knew a bit of the stove Would be visible from the front door, so I wanted it to be a little of a statement. I also didn't want to see all the other appliances and especially not the sink! So, that sort of dictated the two level island with the wood top.
    Because I knew we had the wood trim, I didn't want the cabinets to be all stained wood, but I also felt a flat paint finish would be too flat. The pics don't exactly show the finish very well. It's a bit more subtle, but still textural enough.
    I wanted the stainless counters because I just wanted. It to be seamless and easy to wipe down. They scratch easily but that's ok. At the last minute I decided to do the stainless next to the stove. I considered marble as well but might use that if we do some additional cabinets. I love that I can put hot pots and honestly, the scratching doesn't bother me. There is so much other stuff going on that the stainless is a great neutral counter material.

{{gwi:1612817}}

• soshh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the neiba tile, although this looks a bit photoshopped. The white is a softer creamy white and the black is not as dark but perhaps it will deepen if we use a more glossy sealer, also the red is called Indian red and is less cool, more of a warm brick red. I got the polished tile and we will seal it.

• soshh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Neiba tile

• soshh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We will also need to do something with the floor in the pantry, it's all pieced together wood, kind Of rustic. For now it's fine, I may paint it, or do marmoleum, or if I come into money maybe the cement tile! ;)
    Actually...that would probably be too high (it's thick!) and too hard.

I got a lot of freebies too. The beverage fridge was a giveaway. The stainless cart in the pantry was a hand me Down from a design client whose kitchen I worked on, the fruit stand and 4 tier plate rack were freebies...the bar cart in the kitchen was a freebie...

I found the vintage bistro table on craigslist, I had wanted something like that for a long time.

Cabinet maker charged me a fair price since I sends lot of clients his way, I mostly work on kitchens and bathrooms. (Closets, laundries,etc. too). Cement tile was a splurge but we needed very little. I have a few extra pieces I will seal and use as trivets.
    Wood counter was cheap. Stainless was costly, more than granite, but less than soapstone. I could not find someone to do the soapstone on the island because it was not that big and at the time we were not sure what we would do next to the stove,
    Stove, I saved about $4k. This was very helpful, even though I ended up with it (and all the other appliances in my living room for about 6 mos.)
    Doors and windows, trim, all splurges but very high quality which I thought most important.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

I remembered you, too... Actually, was pretty sure I remembered the name, but wasn't connecting the kitchen. I recognized your layout, though, especially with the fridge and freezer in the alcove. :-)

• cawaps
    11 years ago

Beautiful. The butler's pantry, especially, looks like it's been there forever.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Great kitchen. It is truly one of a kind. You kept true to the ' vintageness' but gave it the personal touch too. Love all your elements. Have fun cooking in your new, old kitchen!

• antiquesilver
    11 years ago

So beautiful in every way & such a perfect fit for the house style.

• 1929Spanish
    11 years ago

I love it. Great job.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Wonderful. The range is so red, so very red. I love it to pieces!

• soshh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The butlers pantry HAS been there forever...well...mostly.
    We added new doors and drawers, the sink base, new hardware, painted the base cabs and the interior of the upper cabs. (Coastal fog, which just looks like a creamy white in this house)
    The counters were plywood and that worked well for however many years that we redid it using plywood, edged with trim, finished with a million coats of tung oil. Considering we have been using that tiny sink as a kitchen sink for about 2 years, it has held up remarkably well, we just need to add some more tung oil.

• soshh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The butlers pantry HAS been there forever...well...mostly.
    We added new doors and drawers, the sink base, new hardware, painted the base cabs and the interior of the upper cabs. (Coastal fog, which just looks like a creamy white in this house)
    The counters were plywood and that worked well for however many years that we redid it using plywood, edged with trim, finished with a million coats of tung oil. Considering we have been using that tiny sink as a kitchen sink for about 2 years, it has held up remarkably well, we just need to add some more tung oil.

• soshh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Family room fireplace. (TV was taken down to apply tung oil to wood mantle)

This post was edited by soshh on Fri, Jan 18, 13 at 8:04

• soshh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Front parlor fireplace, when we light fires we turn the chairs to face it. You can see the top of the dining room chairs. (This is totally not styled, I didn't fluff the pillows of move the extra bench we were using as a Foot stool!

This post was edited by soshh on Fri, Jan 18, 13 at 8:07

• ArchitectMamma
    11 years ago

I love how you embraced the context of the character of your home. So many people want to have a modern moment in the kitchen and this is SOOO much better than that ever would have been. Great vision and follow through!

• soshh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks architect mamma, I didn't have much of a choice! I really wanted the kitchen to become the heart of the home and in order for that to work it really needed to relate to the other elements in the home.
    Many of my original inspiration kitchens were white cabinets, tons of subway tile up to the ceiling, hex floor, but right smack in the middle of my house that would have stuck out like a sore thumb. I allowed the house to lead the way and I am thrilled with the result.

• soshh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have been reading posts about layouts and wanted to mention how this layout came to be.

Because I was working with a existing room in am old house, not much could change regarding the boundaries of the kitchen.

I wanted to keep each end fairly open (wide archways) so there would be good flow and light between the adjacent rooms.

There were already archways to the stairwell and butler's pantry.

Working with an architect, his first suggestion was to have the refrigerator on the wall near the archway to the pantry. I posted that picture here and there was a resounding NO. Even though I am a designer, I could not objectively look at some aspects of it, as it was a giant puzzle and I couldn't figure out where to put the refrigerator without having it be visible from the front parlor. I also didn't want to go to the expense of custom built in units, and needed a large size. I started looking at some options and considered putting them in a walk through space where they would be concealed but accessible.

The other elements just fell into place because I was working in an existing foot print and visually, needed symmetry (or close enough) for it to work for me,

I knew I did not want the range in the island, I wanted the range to be a focal point. We had to close up two center windows but added two French doors, and to be able to have my backsplash it was a good trade. The range in that 10 foot window alcove gave me a nice amount of space on each side, over 3 feet.
    The sink being was planned for the island, And knew I wanted two dishwashers. Wanting to keep the island within that ten foot range, and needing storage to empty the dishwashers, I opted to put all drawers on the end to hold everyday flatware, dishes and glasses.
    I also knew I wanted big pullouts for trash/recycling and Tupperware, so that went on the other end. Next to the stove are pullouts for oils/spices and drawers for utensils/knives, pots, pans, platters, large bowls, etc. I wanted everything easily put away so that works.

The opposite end of the island has three drawers that hold napkins,
    Wraps/foils, dish towels, etc.

I went back and forth on the raised bar vs. single height island. Knowing I am not the neatest cook, I opted to raise the ends for buffet serving, and also to hide anything that might be in the sink. We made the ends and opposite side deep enough for serving platters. It works well for the way I usually entertain, which is buffet style. I also like that it's high enough that little kids can't grab at hot food.

The pantry has the microwave, toaster oven and I keep other small appliances in here.i don't use the microwave much and didn't want it out in the main kitchen. I also don't use the toaster oven much. The butlers pantry has enough space that it functions as a snack bar, the kids can use all the appliances and snacks and stuff are stored in here.

The aisle between the stove and the sink is about 39 inches. For us this is plenty, I didn't want it too wide because I don't want people to come back here. My husband and I have cooked together, or someone could be doing dishes while someone else is cooking, and it is fine for us. I made and served appetizers for about 30 people on New Year's Eve and the space worked very well. The pantry functioned as the bar, I put all the food on the raised part of the island. There was plenty of space.

Overall I am thrilled with the look and the function. Most important to me was enough prep space and I feel like I have plenty. Also ease of cleanup. With two dishwashers this helps immensely, and being able to put everyday stuff away easily is great. I am working on organizing the pantry better for food storage. My youngest is short and can't reach the upper cabinets so cereal and stuff is underneath. Eventually, she will grow!

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

gorgeous kitchen! I especially like the backsplash. I am also considering cement tiles for my backsplash. Can you tell me if the finish is smooth and shiny like ceramic tile or more matte like concrete?

• soshh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's matte, but smooth, I got it polished and we will seal everything to make sure it's stain resistant,

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    11 years ago

L_O_V_E that stove! and the steel counters-- and it all sits so nicely in that space, just like it had always been there...Congratulations!

• Mizinformation
    11 years ago

So lovely! I hope you're enjoying every minute working in your new space. Looks perfect for entertaining. I have a question about your lighting -- I have eyed that great vintage industrial style in the Restoration Hardware catalogue. Is the pulley function or decorative? Can the shades be replaced? In other words, is it one of those newer types of lamps with an integrated shade that can't be replaced, or is it a traditional shade holder with 3-4 screws so other shades can be used? If the shades can be replaced, what size shade fitter does it take? Looks like 2 1/4". The lights look absolutely perfect in your kitchen, but I don't enjoy working around exposed bulbs and would want to replace the shades with a one from Rejuvenation that more closely matches the rest of our lighting.

• taggie
    11 years ago

Absolutely wonderful! I especially love your backsplash behind the range and your range hood. Congrats on your fabulous new space!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Wow, what an amazing space with incredible character. I love all of it.

• soshh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@mizinformation, the pulleys work until you install it...meaning you can set them at a height of your choosing but once it's installed it's fixed in position, I am not sure about the shades. The bulbs are very low wattage Edison style so they don't bother me the way regular exposed bulbs do. Also, because they are such low wattage they are not great for task lighting, more ambient. They are beautiful though!

• Mizinformation
    11 years ago

Thank you, soshh! Very helpful.

• eandhl
    11 years ago

Beautiful job making a period kit. Well thought out elements and functional. Enjoy you hard work and plans.

• soshh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much. We are very pleased.